PDA

View Full Version : How you like your 450 and what breaks?

N400Ex
10-22-2006, 07:18 PM
I am gettin a 450 now... im sick and tired of bein the slow poke on the old 400 lol...big question... yfz or trx? i know i can count on honda for reliabilty but i really want the yfz...i heard from alot of honda guys that the trx is definitly the quad to go if you want reliabilty... what has broken on your yfz and how often do you have down time? thanks-

Vem YFZ450
10-23-2006, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by N400Ex
I am gettin a 450 now... im sick and tired of bein the slow poke on the old 400 lol...big question... yfz or trx? i know i can count on honda for reliabilty but i really want the yfz...i heard from alot of honda guys that the trx is definitly the quad to go if you want reliabilty... what has broken on your yfz and how often do you have down time? thanks-

Today my switch to turn my gas on, off or reserve fell off.. Dont ask me how because I dont know...

Other then that.. the YFZ450 is a great bike!

infantry317
10-23-2006, 06:03 AM
Had my 04 for 10mos.. Had to get a battery. Either engine has to be rebuilt after a year or two depending on hours.

ghott
10-23-2006, 08:09 AM
Both are great machines. Each one is fast. It pretty much comes down to which one you are more comfortable on.

Remember, these are race-bred machines...they require a lot of maintenance. Chain lubing, engine oil changing, tranny oil changes, valve adjustments, air filter cleaning, chain adjustment....all on a regular basis. They will last a long time if you take good care of them.

oldskoolex400
10-23-2006, 08:55 AM
ride both and choose thats what i did i think im going with the YFZ

N400Ex
10-23-2006, 12:01 PM
alrite thanks

SRH
10-23-2006, 03:34 PM
there both good, just diff styles of riding, ive got more buddies with honda motor problems than yamis

zeppelin
10-23-2006, 04:49 PM
i ride the piss out of mine through some pretty nasty trails and so far the only things that have broken on it have been aftermarket :confused:

oldskoolex400
10-23-2006, 05:27 PM
not to steal his thread but what kind of oil are you guys running in these yfz's and how much does the engine and tranny take together and seperately also how often do you change it with just trail/ light riding time on it

10-23-2006, 06:48 PM
My nothing broke on my 06 except for rims, which is a given for MX and my bars bent because I rolled it.

On the other hand, my friends 450r's a arms bent, and the shocks blew out. They barley jumped it.

YFZRB
10-25-2006, 05:45 AM
I have the YFZ and so far only have replaced rims and axle (due to abuse) but nothing else. I think the YFZ stock handlebars are lower and seem to be the only major difference. I rode my friends 450r about 2 weeks ago and felt like the handlebars were at a more comfortable height for me. I'm 6'1" 200 lbs. Each quad is quick and durable. I wouldn't say I have a real preference over either. Shop price out the door and sit on each one and whichever feels right get it!

"Remember, these are race-bred machines...they require a lot of maintenance. Chain lubing, engine oil changing, tranny oil changes, valve adjustments, air filter cleaning, chain adjustment....all on a regular basis. They will last a long time if you take good care of them."

This is the maintenance I have done and this guy is right. Take care of it and yourself with good gear and you will have tons of fun. I ride trails and MX tracks-www.BreezewoodProvingGrounds.com- and have really been beating the hell out of this machine and it has taken everything. Except like I said, I bent the rims and axle on a really bad landing.
Good luck!

jumpingjack
10-25-2006, 10:54 AM
'06 stock axle splines splitting off on the outer edge of the sprocket hub (YFZ has only been used for about 5 hours - all trail riding, no abuse). I know I am not the only one this has happened to.

wolffie
10-28-2006, 04:48 PM
in terms of valve adjustments, valve spring replacement, and replacement of piston/rings, how often are you guys making adjustments for someone who rides a few organized MX races a year, and HARD trail riding/jumping.

i just had the vavle springs go on my pred after exactly 1 year of HARD riding. i dont know if that is premature or what. i didnt adjust the vavles for the first 5 months because i was unaware they needed to be adjusted that frequently (used to have a warrior that was pracitcally bulletproof). after that i was adjusting them every 2 months or so. my intake valves pretty much are TIGHT on me now.

how about you guys who have actually had seat time on both the 05 and 06/07 yfz's? i know the major changes were made in 06 ,but aside from engine upgrades do the upgraded shocks and swing arm really make that big of a difference for a Novice MX class rider?

sorry for all the questions i am just interested in possbily buying one soon.:)

06YFZ450SE
11-15-2006, 08:49 PM
Ive had nothing happen to my YFZ yet I like it alot and it has alot of power for stock. I was in the same boat tired of being the slow one in the group. So I went and got a YFZ450 Iam going to get ready and do some mods too it,

Slip On/Full exhaust
Air Filter
Cam Mod.

Ken Klosterman
11-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Just a side note on this issue.

If you are planning on staying fairly stock Honda offers a 4 year warranty that works out to about $10.00 a month. Maybe Yamaha offers one similar. Obviously it will depend on how far you mod your bike. Check with your local dealer on what will be covered under the warranty. Each dealer is a bit different on warranty issues. (They shouldn't be but they are) I'm not sure that an aftermarket piston would be under warranty but a cam should be. Pipes are no problem.

It's just something to help buy you peace of mind. I got the first 450r out of my dealership. She's ran like a champ even under some heavy flogging. Still think for that amount per month its cheap insurance.

My R's getting a 12.25 compression piston for the trip to Glamis in February :D

Ken K:

beastlyone
11-17-2006, 04:30 PM
only thing thats broken with mine is my neck when i snap the throttle to hard man haha

250r4life
11-18-2006, 12:59 AM
you can get a warranty for a yamaha as well... i bought a 4 year warranty for $350 that is in addition to the already factory covered 6 months... i can do all my own maintenance and pipe it and etc and it is still covered.

STEVENJANNA
11-18-2006, 01:47 PM
Everything breaks if you ride it hard enough:D

drocha24
11-21-2006, 11:23 PM
I am new to the quad world, I bought a YFZ 450 and love to ride it. The problem that I have is the splines have cracked and some have broken off completely. Seen only one other reply about this; anyone else have that problem?
Me and one other buddy ride YFZ, other 2 ride TRX. It seems like the TRX are always down. Everytime we get to Pismo, we unoald them and ride (YFZ). But the TRX has to keep getting adjusted. I say YFZ. Yamaha says Splines are only cosmetic, no real damage.