PDA

View Full Version : car w/o title.

1fst400
10-22-2006, 06:54 PM
hmm. no title to car...
Alright, first off the car is NOT stolen.

I got this car for 600$ because it needed some work. it s a 96 mustang, it has 120,000 miles on it or so. its a 3.8 v6.

It worth about 2500 now, I have put quite a bit of work into it. spider gears, clutch, some paint, tires, brakes.

and now I cant get the title straightened out. It seems that the guy who owned it like 3 ppl ago never signed it over. He is from south carolina and I cant seem to get in touch with him.

So im s.o.l, I have a car, and no title. I can drive it on my fathers dealer plates.

what do you guys think I should do?

not the best pic, but I dont have a riecnet one.

enduro400rider
10-22-2006, 08:15 PM
go to the DMV and file for a lost title its pretty easy, just explain to them what your problem is, then you fill out a paper and the look up the records on the car back to previous owners and try to get in touch with them, if they dont get any word back from them with in 30 days they give you the title, if they do get a response then the owner will need to send you the title

TheFontMaster
10-22-2006, 08:25 PM
I my oppinion you never should have bought the car without the title, let alone put any of your own money into the car, atleast untill you had the title in your hand.

MOFO
10-23-2006, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
I my oppinion you never should have bought the car without the title, let alone put any of your own money into the car, atleast untill you had the title in your hand.

Yep!

<DRS>GPF
10-23-2006, 06:01 AM
if filing for a lost title doesnt work, sounds like you might have a great parts car.. :(

sly400ex
10-23-2006, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by enduro400rider
go to the DMV and file for a lost title its pretty easy, just explain to them what your problem is, then you fill out a paper and the look up the records on the car back to previous owners and try to get in touch with them, if they dont get any word back from them with in 30 days they give you the title, if they do get a response then the owner will need to send you the title

That's not true for all states. Here in Illinois, if you don't have a title and it has to be changed from one owner to another, you have to deposit the vehicles current value and after TWO years if it is not claimed, you will get your money back and title. My dad went through it and it was a pain to say the least.

If you lost the title in your name, you can get a replacement for like $30 and they mail you a new one......

1fst400
10-23-2006, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster

I do have it. but it isnt signed... The guy I bought it off of is a friend of the family, he got it from ppl that rent from him to pay for thier rent. they got it from someone in SC and he never signed it over.

Rico400
10-23-2006, 07:28 AM
so did ur friend, and his tenants ever actually have a titled in there name?

I woud just keep this title thing going and sell it to someone else. jk

Maybe u can find another cheap stang and swap over all the parts?

Mxjunkie
10-23-2006, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by <DRS>GPF
if filing for a lost title doesnt work, sounds like you might have a great parts car.. :(

Rally car/ field car :devil:

Stevie-D
10-23-2006, 02:19 PM
you can get a title for a vehicle out of arizona. it's an old trick used on old cars. costs somewhere in the $200 range. PM me i can give further details. i'm not positive if there is a cutoff year for this. but all that is required is the vin number and bill of sale of some sort

gbcap
10-23-2006, 02:37 PM
it is illegal to sell any car without a legal title for it...

it is also illegal to drive any vehicle on the road with or without dealer/transport/recycler tags on it. you MUST be able to prove ownership to drive it on the road.

you have to get the title straight before i suggest driving it on the road anymore. if you can't get ahold of the past owner then i know in MD your are sol.

call a tag and title place, they are normally alot better at helping you out then the dmv. you can prolly even pay them to find the owner and get this all solved. they act like bounty hunters sometimes.

i agree with font master...you should have straightend out eht title before putting money into it. but i have a wrangler at home with 4k in it that doesn't have a title either. but that is in the works as we speak. your just going to have to find a way to do it. you can always sell it as a race car...or find a salvage yard to buy it off you. we have ways of getting titles that the 'normal' person can't get.

you might even be able to get a title thru a salvage yard if you know someone that owns one. it can get expensive tho.

Quadfather
10-23-2006, 02:57 PM
I don't think you'll ever be able to get a legal title to the vehicle unless, and until, they find the person whose name the car was titled in last (on the title).

They aren't going to issue you a 'lost title' for the car, because they don't know if the former transaction was done legally.

I'm sure the person who the car is titled to now (the name on the title) would want their name taken off the title. If you ever hurt anyone in an accident with the car, it's still legally his, and he could be dragged into court because he is still the legal owner of the vehicle.

If you ever get pulled over, how are you going to prove that the car is registered in your name? Dealer plates won't help you. How are going to get insurance on the car?

I would do everything in my power to get this squared away ASAP.

I would start by- finding out the area code in the city where the former owner is listed on the title. Dial the area code, + 555-1212, and see if he is still at his former residence. If not, I would call the local BMV in that city, and see if they have any contact info on the guy.

1fst400
10-23-2006, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the help guys, there are some good idears here.

I have been driving the car for about a month. I dont drive as of now due to speeding tickets, thats why I want to sell it.

Me driving it is legit, the dealer plate is self insured, all sorts of b.s goes with it. I have been pulled over a cupple times in the car once by a state trooper and once my my hometown cop. I dont need anything for paper work besides a proof of who I am. thats how it is in NH at least.

I think Im going to sell it on ebay w/o title.

If I get 1,500 for it thats how much I have into it.