PDA

View Full Version : re-packing mufflers?

Rider-trx_250ex
10-22-2006, 05:25 PM
what does re-packing a muffler do? and is it easy?

Pappy
10-22-2006, 05:34 PM
inside your silencer is a packing material that helps deaden the sound. it gets old, falls apart and in some cases can cause a loss of power.

you need to diassemble the silncer, remove the old packing and install new. i prefer the loose packing over the wrap style.

you may need simple hand tools or a rivet gun and rivets depending on the exhaust.

factory exhausts usually do not have packing material

Rider-trx_250ex
10-22-2006, 05:40 PM
i've got the megamax and how do i know when the packing needs redone? im thinking of selling it and buying a full system so the next person wont have to mess with it

Pappy
10-22-2006, 05:49 PM
IMO...sell it and move on. Some of these can be a huge pain to repack, and if your not sure about things you could be in for a PITA time doing it:p

10-23-2006, 07:14 AM
The only way to know if packign is getting bad is if you notace its getting louder than it was a while ago.
Its recomended that you change it every 30 hours.

I went almost 3 years and the packing was pritty good.

As packing gets bad it gets farther away from the core which will make it louder and make you loose low end slightly.

Its easy to change. take like 5 rivets out then slide the inside out (kind of hard) then take the old stuff off and rap the new packing on. Packing is around $10.

If you never want to do packing again then you can just get rid of the core and packing and put a solid 2" round steal pipe in place of the core but it will be louder than but you will not need to run packing any more then.

Rider-trx_250ex
10-23-2006, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by slow
The only way to know if packign is getting bad is if you notace its getting louder than it was a while ago.
Its recomended that you change it every 30 hours.

I went almost 3 years and the packing was pritty good.

As packing gets bad it gets farther away from the core which will make it louder and make you loose low end slightly.

Its easy to change. take like 5 rivets out then slide the inside out (kind of hard) then take the old stuff off and rap the new packing on. Packing is around $10.

If you never want to do packing again then you can just get rid of the core and packing and put a solid 2" round steal pipe in place of the core but it will be louder than but you will not need to run packing any more then.

how do u take a rivet out and with the 2" pipe, it is just like running a straight pipe, right?

Pappy
10-23-2006, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Rider-trx_250ex
how do u take a rivet out and with the 2" pipe, it is just like running a straight pipe, right?

do not listen to that crack pot, his name fits his inteligence level

Rider-trx_250ex
10-23-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
do not listen to that crack pot, his name fits his inteligence level

i wouldnt do that to my pipe anyway, just curious what some people do , but how do u take a rivet out?

Pappy
10-23-2006, 05:51 PM
use a drill bit slightly larger then the center of the rivit

JOEX
10-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
use a drill bit slightly larger then the center of the rivit
Beat ya:p

Pappy
10-23-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Beat ya:p