PDA

View Full Version : Kick Starting tips.

Sjorge450R
10-22-2006, 05:22 AM
Hey i just got my 05 R yesterday and I have a hard time starting it. I always hold in the hot start thing because it seems easier to kick, but is it going to be a pita to kick until the motor is broken in?

N300exJ
10-22-2006, 07:37 AM
These things suck to start in the cold. They just dont like it. Last winter it was a pain to get my 450r to start. You have to use the choke and find the sweet spot where it fires up easier. Its a lil tricky.

quadwanter
10-22-2006, 07:51 AM
its gonna take some kicks since its cold but just put the choke on and start kickin..also the hot start is for when its already been running.

ShiftFMX
10-22-2006, 07:59 AM
Are you using the choke? I use full choke and mine usually starts on the first or second kick. Dont give it any gas either.

Are you kicking with the front (bottom toe area) or the rear (heel) of your foot? I have seen alot of people try and kick with their heel, but its a hell of alot easier to kick with your toes

450raider
10-22-2006, 10:27 AM
heck, i have to use the choke on mine when i first pull it out in 90 degree weather and i just dont bother with it in the winter but as for positions i see people leaningn way forward and i find that standing straight up and maybe a little back at times helps, and push the kickstart in slowly first then let off and really kick it, and shift fmx said to kick with your toes, ill try that today.

just my thoughts :D

10-22-2006, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by ShiftFMX
Are you using the choke? I use full choke and mine usually starts on the first or second kick. Dont give it any gas either.

Same here...:)

KrazyKeith
10-22-2006, 06:45 PM
I just wish I have gotton a kicker. This er is such a pos. I have to push it to the top of the hill every morning so I can pop it.

motox450
10-23-2006, 03:02 PM
This is the hot ticket for cold starting. If its above 70 degrees hit the trottle to wide open three times, then give it a good kick should fire right up. If its below 70 hit the trottle to wide open 3 times, pull choke, and kick it. This is for cold starts only. When its hot DO NOT hit the throttle at all. I have been doing this for years on my crf450r bike and now on my trx. Also everyone should remember that proper jetting helps with starting in all conditions.

rlplive
10-23-2006, 04:42 PM
I just full choke mine, and kick it til it starts with no throttle. When it's warm she starts in 1 or 2 tries. Like now when it's cold I have to kick it 7 or 8 times.

JW450R1
10-23-2006, 04:46 PM
i full choke mind and by the second kick it's up and running.make sure u don't give it gas when u r kicking it over.u will have big issues then.also kick it like a 4 stroke with full kicks........

400exrider707
10-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by motox450
This is the hot ticket for cold starting. If its above 70 degrees hit the trottle to wide open three times, then give it a good kick should fire right up. If its below 70 hit the trottle to wide open 3 times, pull choke, and kick it. This is for cold starts only. When its hot DO NOT hit the throttle at all. I have been doing this for years on my crf450r bike and now on my trx. Also everyone should remember that proper jetting helps with starting in all conditions.

Couldn't have said it better myself...and that is the exact starting method I use too. Just remember that no touching the gas while your kicking it. Pump the gas, then let off completely then kick.

trx450jason
10-23-2006, 07:05 PM
exactly the same thing i do with pumping the gas 3 times..always works within 5 kicks most of the time 1 or 2

ShiftFMX
10-23-2006, 07:43 PM
So did you give it a try today? any easier?

Fireman450
10-23-2006, 07:46 PM
I totally agree... also with hitting the gas when your kicking it as mentionedabove is really a bad Idea. A buddy of mine brought his bike to me asking if I could fix it. I tore it down and he ordered the parts. When he brought the parts in he said he was going to sell the bike...well I jumped on it and now its mine..All I like is getting it back togeather. Going to put in new crank bearings and probally new rings while I have it tore down. Heres some pics of the carnage hitting the gas while kicking can cause...
Fireman450

Sjorge450R
10-23-2006, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by ShiftFMX
So did you give it a try today? any easier?

yeah once I started to use the push down, let upa little then giv er hell method, she fired right up within 5 kicks.

Fireman450
10-23-2006, 07:47 PM
Heres another...busted the right case and both covers

motox450
10-23-2006, 07:51 PM
I don't think any of us said "hit gas and kick" it was said to hit gas three times THEN kick. This actually primes the intake with a charge of full making starting easier. If you open the trottle when kicking you risk having the engine fire and make the kickstarter kick back and crack the case cover as done in the above picture. Once the gas has been hit the three times set your hand on the master front brake master cylinder this assures that the gas won't be hit during the starting process.

priebo15
10-23-2006, 09:49 PM
slowly push the kickstarter down all the way once(releases some compression), let up.. then give it hell. usually gets my buddies R goin within the 1st-2nd kick

1fst400
10-24-2006, 08:05 AM
I have found it is the hardest to start my quad is when it stalls under a load. Like if a hit the rear brake to hard or it boggs and stalls.

On suday at the track I was trying to get my quad fired back up and it about threw me off when it poped and kicked back. I dident realize that was caused from using the throttle. I will try not touching it from now on.

ex kid
10-24-2006, 06:15 PM
my 05' starts pretty well. to get it fired for sure, put it in neutral and get it at TDC and dont kick it like a puss

JRP
10-24-2006, 07:29 PM
i always pump the throttle 2 times before i kick it, and put the choke on, and it usually starts up within 2 kicks. But if my quad quits on me during a race, put it into neutral and hold hotstart and should fire up asap!

vwjohnny
10-24-2006, 08:47 PM
Well, I will have to try the three pump method as well. My '05 is a mother f-er to start after it has set for a few months. Looking forward to Gordons Well Veterans day to finally get to ride it. Bought this left over '05 new in April and can't wait to ride!

rockabilly13
10-24-2006, 09:18 PM
Another thing if it has been sitting for a couple of days with the gas turned off turn it on and wait a couple of minutes for the carb to fill up with fuel before you try and kick it. And I always prime a cold engine with the throttle before kicking but never after it has been running.

10-25-2006, 07:45 AM
If the motors coold i put the choke on then kick a couple times. Then i push back down on the kick start till the piston is back to the right possision and kick again.
If its not starting then i will kick really hard and let my foot go down till my foot comes off the kick starter and hits the ground and it starts faster. I usually pump the throttle 2 times b4 i start it.

honda4life72
10-25-2006, 06:16 PM
i just slowly kick mine to where it gets to the hard spot and then put all i got into it and it starts up ...and i twas 27 degrees this morning to

Sjorge450R
10-25-2006, 07:29 PM
i stalled after wheeling and when I went to start it, I held down hot start didnt touch the gas and when I kicked it, it went about .5 way down and came back up with such force that it prob could have flipped me on my back. My ankle is still sore a hell.

1fst400
10-25-2006, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
i stalled after wheeling and when I went to start it, I held down hot start didnt touch the gas and when I kicked it, it went about .5 way down and came back up with such force that it prob could have flipped me on my back. My ankle is still sore a hell.

lol, been there. It always seems to do it when I stall it. Its a training feature, It gives you one more motive not to stall it.

Sjorge450R
10-25-2006, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by 1fst400
lol, been there. It always seems to do it when I stall it. Its a training feature, It gives you one more motive not to stall it.

i hope.....lol

Aaronb
10-26-2006, 12:52 AM
I have no problems with mine, most of the time I can kick it over sitting down.

450RGNCC
10-27-2006, 12:45 PM
Wow, my quad is really easy to start compared to some of you guys. In the cold, i put the choke on, and SITTING DOWN it starts in 2 kicks or less. And if you think the kick-back on a 450r hurts, try out a big bore, high compression 250r and you will never complain again!

rlplive
10-27-2006, 12:50 PM
I just started mine earlier, went out pumped it 3 times turned choke on and it started first kick. It just has to idle quite a while before the idle drops back down

Gumby46
10-28-2006, 04:26 AM
Cold -
Turn on gas
Engage choke
Switch set to run
Turn on key
DO NOT touch the throttle
Kick to start (1-2 times for me)

Hot -
Make sure:
Gas is on