PDA

View Full Version : 400ex xc setup

02400exer
10-21-2006, 09:54 PM
wat is a good suspension setup on a 400ex for xc racing. Wat are good shocks? wat is a good width a-arm to go with? Right now im thinking about going +1 a-arms and shocks pobably fox or elka's. Any advice and idea's would be great thanks

bansheexcracer2
10-22-2006, 05:40 PM
+1 or + .5 longtravle arms would be good with Elka longtravle triple rate shocks.

oldskoolex400
10-23-2006, 10:41 AM
i have a decent xc set-up on my bike i would go with elka's and some +1 a arms though

firefighterjosh
10-24-2006, 03:29 AM
Arens Long travel +1 Elkas :D Love it

Don't remember if this pic is my LT or ST setup. Looks the same though lol

northwest Texas
10-24-2006, 06:19 AM
I don't know about arms since there are no "woods" anywhere near me but I have Works G Series up front and they're far superior to the Elka's I've ridden on. They're inexpensive too but are superior to the Steelers.

I don't think you'll go wrong with any shock company.

bradley300
10-24-2006, 06:47 AM
when everyone raced 400ex's they had +1+1 LT a-arms (houser was real popular with them) and a +1.25 swingarm (houser again), aftermarket linkage (gthunder), elka or axis shocks

400exMO
10-24-2006, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I'd go +1 front end, and go LT if you have the money. Also if you get the elkas from elka, don't be surprised if they aren't the best. They're vavlving isn't the best.

400exstud
10-24-2006, 06:39 PM
I've got the tripple rate Elka recs. They are by far the best investment that I have made to my quad. They soak up the bumps and jump very well. One thing that I didn't expect is how much they reduced the body roll of the front end. I now get so much more tracting I can fly out of corners.

02400exer
10-29-2006, 01:02 PM
thanks for all the sugestions im still open for more sugestions

pudamac12
10-29-2006, 01:42 PM
if you have the money i would get motowoz. if not get some tcs instead of elka. they are not valved properly most of the time and for that kind of money you should get it right the first time.

also look into a good stabilizer like a precision

northwest Texas
10-30-2006, 07:01 PM
I don't know about XC racing but my Works G Series up front have been nothing short of spectacular and I have a TCS rear that nicely complements the fronts. I wouldn't hesitate to go either way.

My brother in law has Elka's and they've never been right. He could never get them dialed in. He really dislikes them and Colby at C&D is redoing them now as we speak.

I can take my quad on the trails and on a little mx track and be comfortable either way. He couldn't.

04TRX400EX
11-02-2006, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by 400exstud
I've got the tripple rate Elka recs. They are by far the best investment that I have made to my quad. They soak up the bumps and jump very well. One thing that I didn't expect is how much they reduced the body roll of the front end. I now get so much more tracting I can fly out of corners.

I have the same setup and feel the same way. From my perspective, I feel that Elka makes one of the best shocks for XC/trail riding or racing. As for MX, there might be some others that I hear are better, but I have been very pleased with Elka. I would go with some triple-rates, doesn't have to be LT, with some +1 a-arms - I recommend Houser. Usually, you will not want to go wider than that cause XC trails can be tight, but it depends on where you ride. Just be sure that when you get new shocks, have them valved for what you are going to be doing. I was a little surprised with my setup to be honest. I was expecting a "softer" ride on my shocks when I ride trails but they are valved more towards MX. I notice a huge difference though when I ride my buddies 416EX with a full Elka setup. His is valved for XC though, which is a softer setting. My point is to be honest with yourself when you tell Elka or whomever where and how you ride.

KingpinsEx
11-05-2006, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by northwest Texas
I don't know about XC racing but my Works G Series up front have been nothing short of spectacular and I have a TCS rear that nicely complements the fronts. I wouldn't hesitate to go either way.

My brother in law has Elka's and they've never been right. He could never get them dialed in. He really dislikes them and Colby at C&D is redoing them now as we speak.

I can take my quad on the trails and on a little mx track and be comfortable either way. He couldn't.

That is crazy, i dont know what was done wrong to those shocks but that really amazes me. What model were his elkas, it would make sense if they were the entry level version? But you did mention not being able to dial them in, so im asuming they at least have compression adjust. In that case just incease the compression dampening and those xc shocks should be able to handle play mx. I didnt even have to mess with my adjustments and they work great on the trail and on the track, however i did not get them straight from the factory, did he?