PDA

View Full Version : anyone ride streetbikes?

ny300exrider
10-21-2006, 07:21 PM
Hey all,
Wondering if any of you quad riders on here also have a street ride? I'm thinking about looking into a street legal supermoto or dual sport style bike to commute to college and ride around town when i'm around 19 or 20 years old (only 17 now). I’m not trying to kill myself doing 100mph wheelies or rip down the highway doing 170, just save some money on gas and have some fun when I can’t be on the quad. Id love to hear what you guys ride and what your opinions on the whole riding a motorcycle thing are (experiences, stories, thoughts on the danger, worth the risk, etc). I understand the risk, and it definitely worries me to think about what could happen, but every time I see a guy cruise past me on a nice bike riding smart, I can just see myself doing the same thing. A 20 year old kid was just killed last week a few towns away and even hearing that hasn’t pulled me away from wanting a bike-RIP to him.

ECATV Raptor
10-21-2006, 07:38 PM
I just turned 16 and I am hopin to get my bike licsense next summer. I want a streetbike so bad. Or a new Honda supermoto 450. They are pretty sick. I cant wait.

jrm03
10-21-2006, 08:12 PM
Hey man, whats up. I rode an 02 600F4i for about two years and I dearly miss it. Its kind of like a quad, having the terrain rushing past and just you and the bike. I would urge you to take a riding course to gain the confidence and learn your limits. I took one here in Ohio and they provided the bikes and after your successful completion you had your endorsement as an operator without going to the BMV for the test. I learned a ton in those two weeks. good luck.

ny300exrider
10-21-2006, 08:52 PM
oh yes, if i go through with the bike thing i will most definitly take the MSF course before anything along with wearing all gear all the time.

those f4i's are sweet bikes no doubt. i was thinking about starting on a 600cc sport bike but after some more research and thought i think the more tame, dirtbike style supermoto would be the smarter and more fun choice

mole97
10-22-2006, 03:35 AM
I had a ninja 750 for my first bike (about 10 years ago) and my last bike was a cbr 954 which i had till last year. I have to say I absolutely love street bikes. But I just recently had a second baby AND my cousin got killed on one! So those where 2 deciding factors that led to me getting rid of it. I would love to get another,but the thing that scares me is not me but ALL THE HORRIBLE drivers out there..people do things in cars that blow my mind!! You have to be very defensive and don't ever think that for a second the car "wont go" cause they do!!! I also take it your in N.Y. so if your in by the city REALLY BE carefull. Don't get me wrong though Sunday morning rides through the country riding with the boys,is great,and the gas is a ton better than any car.If you get one just be Very defensive!!!but they are a blast an soooo much fun!!! sorry so long:cool:

ny300exrider
10-22-2006, 07:19 AM
i totally agree with you on the other people on the road. i've been driving for a year now and some things i see people do on the road just boggle my mind. Luckily i do not live near the city, wouldnt even consider a bike if i did. Im way out east on Long Island and there are a ton of nice, scenic, backroads that are great for riding if i wanted to go for rides like that.

thanks alot for the post

ps-sorry about your cousin and congrats on the baby!

05_KFX
10-22-2006, 07:35 AM
I ride steet as well as dirt. Here's my bike.

ny300exrider
10-22-2006, 08:31 AM
very nice, theres a few of those telofonica edition gixxers running around my town. very unique looking bikes in a good way.

BigFish
10-22-2006, 09:31 AM
my blackbird, although I bought a fatboy, I still love love riding a real bike every now and then;)

BigFish
10-22-2006, 09:32 AM
the paint

BigFish
10-22-2006, 09:33 AM
the tank

yamablaster24
10-22-2006, 10:31 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/yamablastermx/cbr600051.jpg

NET450r350x
10-22-2006, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by ny300exrider
oh yes, if i go through with the bike thing i will most definitly take the MSF course before anything along with wearing all gear all the time.

those f4i's are sweet bikes no doubt. i was thinking about starting on a 600cc sport bike but after some more research and thought i think the more tame, dirtbike style supermoto would be the smarter and more fun choice

I was in the same boat about 6 months ago. i needed a cheap way to get to work and back so i decided to get a bike. I picked up a mint XR400 and put street tires on it. I also got a brake light and horn to make it legal.

Long story short, this bike has been the funnest machine in the world. I've ridden it every day this summer to work, and now i ride it every day to and around college. I get about 55 mpg on the road (way better than my pickup). I'll get some pics of it later.

suck my pipe
10-22-2006, 12:59 PM
I ride, 2005 Suzuki Gsxr 750 20th aniversary edition.

tater_kamik
10-22-2006, 01:20 PM
i definately save some money by riding my bike (01 gsxr 750). i didnt buy it for gas mileage but its definately nice to pay 10 dollars for a fill vs 60-70 on my truck... its going up for sale though, time for the 06 gsxr 750 :devil:

RRP
10-22-2006, 02:46 PM
I ride a 2007 650 v-star.I had a crouch rocket last year but found the cruiser bike to be a lot more comfortable to ride.The wife got here license last year after taking the training course.She rode her bike(2002 savage 650) to work every chance she could the past summer.The only advise I can give is to check out the price of insurance costs on any bike before you buy.The rocket's can be quite expensive for a new rider.

ny300exrider
10-23-2006, 04:20 AM
insurance for the supermoto/dual sport bikes tend to be alot less than the rockets. i will most likely go with a 400cc or close to that, so although insurance will still be up there, but it will be alot less than starting on a 600+cc rocket.