PDA

View Full Version : 86 shortrod or longrod crank

parttime
10-21-2006, 06:35 PM
I have a 86 250r and have built it to drag, ftz out of frame drag pipe,analouge pvl,38mm tmx mikuni carb,and a radical drag port on the stock cylinder.had a crank bearing go out and messed up the crank so i have to replace the crank. I was wondering if the 88/89 oem crank would help pick the bike up any or should i stay with the 85/86 shortrod crank. We run 300' and 400' around here

Eddiesanders250
10-21-2006, 07:29 PM
Of course you would have to put a spacer plate in.... The only difference ive heard from running the 86 piston and long rod is that it smoothes the powerband out... I am currently running an 86 piston and 89 crank but with you only drag racing idk if it would much of an advantage... You would have to talk to somebody with a little more experience.

xlr810
10-21-2006, 09:57 PM
Go with a Keihin carb for dragging. It will rev out better for you than the TMX.

I prefer the 86 crank for its willingness to rev. I don't think you'd gain anything in the drag races by swapping to the longrod setup.

Is traction an issue on your drag strips? If you are just spinning your wheels most of the way, then it might help to go with a long rod or stroker crank.

parttime
10-22-2006, 08:09 AM
traction is no problem running a -1 swingarm and cut turf tammers
just looking to pick the bike up a little more without going with the big bore motors as i am already pissing them off when they get out run by the smaller motor