PDA

View Full Version : Z400 vs 400ex

TJN173
10-21-2006, 02:02 PM
I just sold my 300ex and im looking to get a bigger quad. The Z400 and 400ex are the two ive been looking at. For all those Z400 and 400ex riders what are the pros and cons that you have come across with your machines?

TrapZ400
10-21-2006, 02:25 PM
I have a z400 and I like it a lot. I mostly ride on mx tracks and some trails. It jumps good. It soaks up hard landings well. It also wheelies really easy. It can climb some pretty steep hills too. They are kinda tippy around corners but if you lean into the corners you will be fine.

yellow400ex05
10-21-2006, 03:10 PM
I LOVE my 400ex, is sits lower then the z400's so its easier to go completely sideways in corners, they are based off the 250r geometry which makes it ALOT better at handling IMO. Plus its much more simpler to work on. Change the oil clean the filter and gas it up and go. the 400ex stock has alot of tourque and can pull off the line better in a drag race against most quads example: raptor 660, and a my cousin's z400.

they have that nicer stock grunt that you can hear from a distance that makes it sound like a BEAST! A z400's power is a little smoother and you dont hear a grunt like the EX. the z400 is liquid cooled whichs helps is stay cooler than the 400ex and is more "technologically" advanced. both of them have alot of potential to be raced. And since the 400ex has been out longer there are more upgrades and they are also cheaper.

WhiteZrider
10-21-2006, 05:56 PM
Z400 all the way

CHEVYZ
10-21-2006, 06:25 PM
IMO the 400EX has much better handling. The Z400 is very tippy when compared. The 400EX is simple and easy/cheap to buy and upgrade. It is the king of reliabilty, you just cannot kill an EX.
The bad thing about the EX also relates to some of its good... the engine. The engine on the 400EX is old and outdated compared with the Z. Plain and simple.

On the other hand, the Z400 has its benefits as well. It's engine is much more advanced and therefore (Among other things) produces more power.

700bRad
10-21-2006, 06:55 PM
Wow im so surprised you guys arnt bashing each other! This usually happens in threads like this. Its nice to see that some members have respect for each other and what they ride. You each gave an honest opinion on your rides and kept it very clean. Good job!

JForestZ34
10-21-2006, 06:57 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by yellow400ex05
[B] the 400ex stock has alot of tourque and can pull off the line better in a drag race against most quads example: raptor 660, and a my cousin's z400.

I like the torque that the EX has in stock form. With alittle help it is a great quad to be able to compete with. But in stock form there is now way that it has more torque than a raptor 660. SO that being said, in a drag the raptor would pull pretty easy on an stock 400ex

James

yellow400ex05
10-21-2006, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by CHEVYZ
IMO the 400EX has much better handling. The Z400 is very tippy when compared. The 400EX is simple and easy/cheap to buy and upgrade. It is the king of reliabilty, you just cannot kill an EX.
The bad thing about the EX also relates to some of its good... the engine. The engine on the 400EX is old and outdated compared with the Z. Plain and simple.

On the other hand, the Z400 has its benefits as well. It's engine is much more advanced and therefore (Among other things) produces more power.

Yes, i totally agree with you, the z400 does have its benefits, liquid cooling, newer technology. And yes z400's and when two fully properly built z440's vs a 440ex, the z400 will produce slighlty more power because of the added benefit of liquid cooling. so which ever one you get be it the Z or the EX you will be very happy with your choice! :)

LTZ400rider
10-21-2006, 08:07 PM
the thing that sucks about the z400 is the handling, more stuff to worry about like water pumps and such. also suzuki has the worst chain adjuster. the power kicks *** though. it helps alot when u get suspension because it lowers it alot.

the 400ex is simple machine to work on reliable but the power just isnt there for me, also it handles nicely. the worst part is taking off the seat to get to the airbox etc, u have to pull off the whole rear fenders its a pain.

oh yeah i almost forgot, 400ex with the old ones u might be hoppin off and pushin it sometimes.

if ur buying brand new id get the Z400, if ur buying used id go with what u can find a better deal on

CHEVYZ
10-21-2006, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by LTZ400rider
the thing that sucks about the z400 is the handling, more stuff to worry about like water pumps and such. also suzuki has the worst chain adjuster. the power kicks *** though. it helps alot when u get suspension because it lowers it alot.

the 400ex is simple machine to work on reliable but the power just isnt there for me, also it handles nicely. the worst part is taking off the seat to get to the airbox etc, u have to pull off the whole rear fenders its a pain.

if ur buying brand new id get the Z400, if ur buying used id go with what u can find a better deal on I would have to agree with nearly everything you have said, but I don't quite understand what you mean by "oh yeah i almost forgot, 400ex with the old ones u might be hoppin off and pushin it sometimes." :confused:

Tri-valleyracin
10-21-2006, 08:22 PM
my dad has a z400 with some work done to it and my firnd had a 400ex, the z didnt hande as good as the 400ex stock for stock but once the z400 had spacers on the front it halped a ton. the z400 has more power but its like riding a 450 and the 400ex is esayer to ride like a 300ex but with a ton more power and etter handleing than a 300ex. i personaly like the z400 better but if i could have a 400ex i would take it for the right price. the used 400s are cheap compared to a 450 but u can get a old 250 2 smoke for even cheaper. i bout a 86 lt250r the is in mint condition that just had to be put together for $475. it was a rolling chassis +s everything to make it run and in one day i had a quad that was ready to ride besides a bad stator.

wvspeedfreak
10-21-2006, 08:30 PM
I would have to agree with nearly everything you have said, but I don't quite understand what you mean by "oh yeah i almost forgot, 400ex with the old ones u might be hoppin off and pushin it sometimes." :confused:

I think he was referring to the older ones not having reverse.

10-21-2006, 09:21 PM
400ex with the old ones u might be hoppin off and pushin it sometimes." :confused:

Like me!:p

rooster_20
10-22-2006, 12:33 AM
Yea but the old ones will always be awesome! I like to think the fastest things can't go backwards haha jk but seriously I love my 400ex the power difference isnt that great but the handling is WAY different. The Z's and its clones are all top heavy to me. My cousin has a kfx and it feels like its a mile high when I get on it. And unlike some other opinions I like the fact that my rear fenders come off with the seat because it makes it easier to install new parts and work on. jmo:D

kawi_kfx13
10-22-2006, 07:32 AM
all u can do is drive both...see wat one u like more...i have kfx same thng as Z.... i like how my kfx sits more then my 400ex ...the Z defently has way better stock shocks...and they are fast to...i do mainly mx and hills and trails...ull love the 400ex for trails if thats wat u like to do...they sit nice for that..its all up to u ....you gota no what feels more comfortable to you...and test drive a few mybe...good luck

CHEVYZ
10-22-2006, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
I think he was referring to the older ones not having reverse. Oh, alright LOL. I thought he was saying that the older models had a tendency to break down. :p