PDA

View Full Version : 16t front sprocket question

(815) REDDEVIL
10-21-2006, 01:08 PM
if i use a 16 tooth front on my 440 ex will i have to remove the case saver.

and how well would a 440 do with a 16t front 38 rear 20"tires

CHEVYZ
10-21-2006, 01:44 PM
The stock case saver will not work... you may be able to modify it to work. I would not recommend a 16T front on a 400EX, though. IMO they do horrible with it. They do not help enough with top end gains to justify for the huge loss in acceleration... it will take forever to get to to the top end- which is the only place you will see benefits in the first place.

bigbearkid4x4
10-22-2006, 10:27 AM
i have a 400ex with the mods in my sig and i have a 16 tooth front. i did have to dremel the case saver a bit but it fits fine now. as for power i like it better. i can rev out the gears more when riding wheelies and big hill climbs i can use strictly 2nd gear which is basically all i could use with the 15. and top end was increased a few mph. overall i love it fits my riding style very well and still has power like it did with the 15 and i have no prob taking a stock z 400 in a drag

(815) REDDEVIL
10-22-2006, 10:56 AM
exactl as i figured.. i want top end. my 440 is really torqued out so it should have no problems pullin 16t nice and hard. this isnt your stock 400ex

its a dri 440 national motor thats is a real screamer and revs about 11000rpm instantly.

i can top out 5th in 15 seconds or less
with 14t :38t about 70ish

underpowered
10-22-2006, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by CHEVYZ
The stock case saver will not work... you may be able to modify it to work. I would not recommend a 16T front on a 400EX, though. IMO they do horrible with it. They do not help enough with top end gains to justify for the huge loss in acceleration... it will take forever to get to to the top end- which is the only place you will see benefits in the first place.

see that all depends. some people us a 14t and IMHO you lose way to much with a 14t, just does not suit my riding style. i run stock gears, but have ran a 16t before and it worked well with my setup and riding style. if you have the power to pull it, yo don't lose much accel if any, and can broaden the gears a bit.

but for the origional question. You wil ahve to modify your stock case saver. my buddy has a ModQuad one on his 400 with a 16t sprocket and it seems to work fine. and with a 440, it should handle it pretty well.

CHEVYZ
10-22-2006, 12:37 PM
I mean, I know it is an opinion, but I was just putting in mine to allow others to see my experiences with it. I have a 440 as well, and power is NOT an issue. I just could not find anywhere that I could find it suitable to view any gains.

Then again, I AM a bit spoiled considering I ride 450s which top out much faster and at much higher speeds than my 400, so I guess my opinion is probably quite different than most others!

(815) REDDEVIL
10-22-2006, 12:50 PM
all veiws and opinions are respected, appreciated and taken into consideration im not doubting ones experiences.

i went ahead and got the 16t any how to try out and if i dont find its worth the loss in bottom end power i will definately go back to my 14 or get a 15.

so if power is not an issue would you suggest goin like 16t:34T or just get a 450r.

i have a nice quad and though the 400ex is goin out i still wanna top it out with 465 stroker and nos. with many other mods.

?? are 450r's really that much faster than a 440ex??

CHEVYZ
10-22-2006, 01:06 PM
Older model 450s are not worth it, really. My 06 with just an HRC kit would leave my 05, there are some people on the site that can vouch for that! Any 450 is going to suck without a couple things at least. To be honest, if you are happy with your 400EX, then it isn't worth it, really. If you desire more, then yes, it would be a very wise choice. The 450s have much more potential than the 400EXs.

But back to the main subject, go ahead and see how you like it. Don't forget to give us a report!

(815) REDDEVIL
10-27-2006, 04:46 PM
well i got the sprocket on and what do you know i need a longer chain

i have an ek srx 520x104 how any linjks do youneed to run 16:38.

can i ad links or do i need a wehole new chain

enduro400rider
10-27-2006, 09:59 PM
the chain should still fit just loosen the chain adjuster all the way and tighten it as needed. if you dont know what im talking about look at you swing arm and you will see 2 allen wrench bolts at the very end of it. loosen them and to the right of those bolts right next the the rear sproket you will see something with grooves in it. shove a screw driver in one groove and push it forword and that should loosen it up quite a bit. then put the chain on and pull back on the screwdriver and it will tighten, when it is tight simply tighten down the allen bolts and your set

(815) REDDEVIL
10-27-2006, 10:35 PM
i thought it would work too but after loosining the chain adjuster via swingarm completely it was still way too tight.

(815) REDDEVIL
10-27-2006, 10:38 PM
CORRECTION im not sure if my chain is 104 link cause i havent counted i assumed.

i will count later but bear in mind the previous owner had a 14 front and 38rear sprocket setup on here with aftermarket chain.

my guess is that the smaller gear required chain reduction.

i think ill buy a new complete set up thanks