PDA

View Full Version : Mud race tommorow, need tips.

MXRACER86
10-20-2006, 10:11 PM
Ok guys and gals, I have a motocross race tommorow and it's gonna be muddy, i always struggled with mud, so do any of you have any tips?

coolguy8769
10-20-2006, 10:25 PM
keep your weight back, but make sure your font ended doesnt "push" into the turn and slide off the track

whatch out for the deep stuff!

take a different line then everyone else

DONT SPIN OUT!!!

look ahead

keep your gloves and goggles CLEAN!!

duct tape an extra goggle lens to you end of your helmet viser, well keep some of the roost from hittin your face

if you know yoru gettin roosted look down!! block some of it with your helmet, mud on top of yoru head an't gonna hurt ya

duct tape you bumper to your fender, keeps your radiator clean

all i can think of right now from my mud races, GOOD LUCK!!
it'll be an "experince";)

fatkid400
10-23-2006, 12:00 AM
To late now but for future reference... Lower your back tire pressure to 2/3 pounds or so.Gives you a wider foot print= more traction.

fatkid400
10-23-2006, 12:01 AM
so anyway howd you do?

Mxjunkie
10-23-2006, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by fatkid400
To late now but for future reference... Lower your back tire pressure to 2/3 pounds or so.Gives you a wider foot print= more traction.

I've allways ran 10 in the front and 7-8 in the back.. I get less vibration and it rides alot better on muddy/bumpy tracks and it hooks like a mofo! (turning traction was better too)

Heres for future refernce as well! I wish I woulda saw this thread sooner..

foam on the top of your helmet and areas on the quad that you dont want mud to sit..

The old one is soak your quad (Not the seat) with Pam cooking grease or Wd40 at the track so when the mud gets on your quad it'll slide off for a little bit anyway's not alot but it wont allow it to build up as much, it make's it easyier to clean afterwards as well..

Take your time and pick the right lines specially if you have a swinger skid.. kinda helps to hit em fast and lean from side to side to get traction in the muddy ruts :)

In the past my friend's and I have found that chicken wire works better then ducktape on the front bumpers because it allow's air to flow but wont allow huge clumps of mud or rocks harm the raditor :macho

Dont follow someone unless you know you can pass them.. the more mud they roost you with the heavyier you become.. The heavyier you get the more tired you get =p

If you have under the boot pant's and it's REALLY mucky, take ducktape and go around the top of your boot's to keep your feet dry, makes a world of differnce!

If you can, try to not take your hands off the grips as much as possible, once they get muddy it's a bitoch to hold on and can cause arm pump from trying to hold on..

Everylap look for other lines to take if you get stuck behind another rider if they get stuck in the mud :scary:

I have a bunch more from racing and such but you cant give away all your secrets :blah:

gbcap
10-23-2006, 06:16 AM
if its really muddy use your harescramble tires if you have them. its amazing how much faster you will be with the larger lugs and more ground clearence. you can jump pretty close to mx tires with even ITP Hd's on there...been there done that.

if you have hand guards make sure they are on.

don't overtape the front...if your in mud your prolly spinning the wheels really fast...higher rpms...higher temps...and less air rolling over the rad...if you have slight protection it will stop the major stuff and still let a good amount of air in. get the holeshot and you wont have to worry about it.

dont' follow someone at all..you can't pass them if your right behind them...and you will get roosted.