PDA

View Full Version : 400 EX Won't Start - FCR Carb

Kansas440ex
10-20-2006, 09:41 PM
Hey, New to the forum, but not to the 400ex. Now, Here is the issue. I just brought this quad out of storage for about 3 years. It was stored correctly, however, here is what has been done so far.

1) Replaced Plug, Oil Filter, Oil, etc. Normal maint.
2) Removed carb (FCR 39) and cleaned, the float valve was varnished shut and cleaned, the air/fuel screw is set to 2 1/2 turns out. The carb has a 168 Main and a 50 Pilot.
3) 440 Big Boar kit
4) WB Cam
5) Curtis Sparks exhaust X-6
6) K&N Filter

I am getting turn over, however not complete run. I get about 6 turns with a starter flued, fuel mixture.

I am good on spark and voltage checked both. Worked with about 4 different plugs, all are good and producing spark. Compression is at 11.5 /1.

PLEASE HELP:confused:

Warrior-mx
10-20-2006, 10:04 PM
Well from wat i reading i think ur saying it wont start. And My warrior had that same prob it would roll over but not fire. IT had spark but it was weak. I kno u said its got good voltage but u might check to see if its enough again. IT was my stator pick-up that was out check that. It couldnt hurt to check things twice

quadracer12
10-21-2006, 12:41 AM
have you checked what the compression is now? how old is this 440 kit? can you pull start it? whats your plug look like? is it wet from fuel? if its wet you will know its not a fuel problem and then look at your electrical.

i went to the texas GNCC last year and couldn't get my bike to start. we worked like 6 hours going over everything had fuel and fire. finally a guy come over and poored a cap full of oil into my spark plug hole and it fired up. had no compression.

Kansas440ex
10-21-2006, 08:30 AM
One thing that I believe I forgot is that if you have the air off of the carb, you can open the butterfly and see that there is white smoke inside the chamber. I am not sure what this means, but something tells me that it is not igniting correctly.

Possibly timing?

I am looking to push start it today, maybe the compression will be enough to turn it over alone. I am thinking it has been sitting for so long, it might need to get the cobwebs out of it. BTW, the fuel mixture that I am running is only at 93 octaine. I almost always ran 102 in it before, however I cannot seem to find it here in town. Should I get that octaine level up? (Possibly add some octaine boost to the gas mixture?)

Thanks for the help.

Kansas440ex
10-21-2006, 08:38 AM
Quadracer12, I am pretty sure that the 440 kit has appx 25 hrs on it. I bought the bike off of a kid in NC that did not know what he had and never rode it except from to and from the mailbox at his house in the country. So he was not hard on it, I had it 3 months and then I stored it for 2+ years. I knew I was going to have problems with this one.

scooter8
10-21-2006, 11:10 AM
did you put fresh gas in it.

1fst400
10-21-2006, 11:14 AM
sounds like your not getting gas to me. try bump starting it.

Kansas440ex
10-21-2006, 06:06 PM
Okay, Here is what has happened today.

1) New Plug, getting good fire
2) Clean Carb, jets, float valve etc.
3) Could not get it running with bump start, same symptoms
4) Gas is flowing fine, I am getting it to fire and turn over 1-3 revs and then nothing. Each time I have to press and release the throttle about 1/3 depressed.

To me it sounds like the run switch might be out, is there a way to bypass this? I have already bypassed kill and neutral. (Kill and Neutral have been done since the overhaul was done with the 440 kit and the carb improvements.

I am running 12.5/1 compression with this so I am guessing my other problem would be quality of gas. (93 octaine / 100 octaine) Should I go with a Sunoco race fuel? IF so should I stick with 110? I used to run it in this quad, but have not found a distributer here in KC.

Thanks for the help and if anyone is near to the KC area and wants a challenge let me know.

Chin_Chilla
10-21-2006, 08:33 PM
Try to get in contact with Chino886. He's in KC like you.

Kansas440ex
10-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Just found some 110 in town, they want a pretty $ for it out here....Gonna try that tomorrow....Will keep you posted.

Thanks