View Full Version : O6er Starter spining but not turning over?

josh30917
10-20-2006, 08:42 PM
I got an 06er and the starter is not working. It spins but doesnt catch to crank it up. Im racing xc but dont have money for a kick start conversion right now. Any help on how to take it apart to find out whats wrong and how to fix would be very appreciated.

lumi
10-20-2006, 09:53 PM
did u overheat the starter? hold it for more 5 seconds at a time, or give throttle during starting. this seems to kill them very fast.

i heard its something like a 100$ to rebuild the starter.

-lumi

the predator
10-21-2006, 04:48 AM
my money is on the oneway clutch, it's behid the flywheel (well it is on other e-start quads)

10-21-2006, 05:17 AM
call your dealer..honda is fixing the one way clutch for free on these machines..but it is not an actual recall...lonestar_r and myself just had this done abuot a month ago...no cost to either of us and both were out of warranty..the parts came to about $350...again...NO cost to us

josh30917
10-21-2006, 12:07 PM
Yep I know its probobly my fault for holding the starter in too long and mine definetly has to be out of warrenty. But your sayin that if I take it to the Honda dealership theres a chance they will fix it for free. I know Im taking it sometime next week to get the throtle recall fixed so what should I tell them to maybe get them to fix it? I appreciate it guys.

RedRacer44
10-21-2006, 01:52 PM
Your starter clutch went out...we've had to fix several of 'em here at the shop...although we havent done any of them fo free :rolleyes:

10-21-2006, 04:12 PM
just mention it to them...they will notice it don't turn...if they don't wanna fix it...call honda and ask them

trxHRC450r
10-21-2006, 07:12 PM
i am a tech at a dealership. honda techline says its from customers touching the gas when you are cranking it over. its just like on the kickers, if u touch the throttle when you are kicking it, it will kick u right back. its the same thing only on the er's its the one way that gets kicked. there are about 10 parts total that honda sends us to replace. he said to tell customers to sity on their throttle hand while you crank it so this will not happen. i have found if you pump the gas 2 or 3 times prior to starting, it starts up very easily

hope i helped

josh30917
10-22-2006, 07:04 PM
trxHRC450r your a tech at a honda dealership. So what would be the chances of honda fixing it for free on a 9 month old bike? Money's tight but I gotta ride. Its gettin to the point where im about to break out the old cannondale to race it.

10-23-2006, 05:42 AM
have the dealership look into it...mine did not know anything about a problem until he called honda. then they gave ihim the ok to fix it for free...lonestar_r had bought his at the beginning of oct. 2005 and had the starter rebuilt in the beginning of sept 2006. mine was purchased on 2-28-06 and rebuilt at the same time as lonestar_r's.

KrazyKeith
10-23-2006, 05:59 AM
Mine went out at 2 months maybe cuz of me or freinds touching the throttle while starting they replaced it for free. I was really p.o. at the dealership and I wanted to know what was gonna happen if this happens again out of the warranty period. They told me they would probly fix it for free and maybe even add a kicker free of charge. I think Honda should recall all er's and put kickers on em. My er wont even start in the mornin without pushin it up the hill and popin it. After that it starts good. But I'd rather kick it 50 times than push it up that hill. I love everything about my Honda exept the starter~junk!!! A machine built in 2006 for 6500 bucks should start.

josh30917
10-23-2006, 02:03 PM
Well today I called honda and talked to them and the guy says that he has never heard of this problem happening before. He said that since the quad is 8 months old it would definitly be a customer pay situation. I argued for a few and ended up hanging up after 20 minutes of fussin. What else should I try? Or who else can I complain to?

10-23-2006, 02:23 PM
your problem may not fall into the same category as the repai i had done

Lonestar_R
10-23-2006, 02:47 PM
I have to say Honda is full of Chit......don't touch the throttle that is fine..but when you don't touch it and it still kicks back..... they have a problem.....mine will still kick back even with no throttle.....if I have to get mine fixed again I will be jumping ship and buying something else....electric start has been around long enough that they shouldn't have problems with it like this

josh30917
10-23-2006, 06:33 PM
Well fellas I have decided to give up on the Electric Starter. This evening I contacted Santo Derisi and his mechanic is going to install a kicker for me. I guess until Honda has enough complaints about the starters Im gonna be kicking mine. Then hopelly they'll start fixing them all and I can have both. But till then Im gonna be kicking.

IMSROLL450R
10-23-2006, 07:01 PM
Honda just did $850 worth of starter work on mine for free it would just spin and not engage they had to replace the starter clutch and all the gears but it was free to me cuz I *****ed so much about it only bein 2 months old. should have been covered anyway.

trxHRC450r
10-29-2006, 07:23 AM
try calling another dealer

KrazyKeith
10-29-2006, 05:11 PM
Just call Honda, they will fix it for you. Tell them how all your freinds with yfz's and ltr's are all startin ok and your really disapointed in your bike and they are all laughin at you for buying a honda.

ckasper18
10-29-2006, 05:48 PM
I am also a honda dealership and what you first need to do is open up your qwners manual in the back and call honda customer service explain your problem and let them know things do break but you feel its a problem of theres that should be taken care of.I have fixed two and both were covered this was before they knew of a problem our service tech stopped by and we showed him the problem and he made a call and since then we have no problems having them fixed.Sometimes customers *****ing at the dealerships dont helpthe problem the dealeship sells the prooduct that dont build them.

Jonas
10-29-2006, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by josh30917
Well today I called honda and talked to them and the guy says that he has never heard of this problem happening before. He said that since the quad is 8 months old it would definitly be a customer pay situation. I argued for a few and ended up hanging up after 20 minutes of fussin. What else should I try? Or who else can I complain to?

First of all, you didn't call Honda yet, you called a dealership that sells Honda's. Out of fairness to the dealer, it didn't design your quad. They are the people that sell the quad and are only obligated to take care of issues under warranty. Yes, it's true that they are the first people you should call and you did the right thing, but now to take the next step. Like the guy said earlier, I would call Honda's customer service phone number tell them your situation. Honda is the one that will have to compensate the dealer for the repairs and they are the one's that will have to make the decision. The dealer has to talk to them for issues out of warranty why not talk to them yourself. I would suggest that when you call you talk to the person on a first name basis and go about it in a professional manner. *****ing doesn't always get you somewhere, especially at the dealer. Good luck.

nasty88r
12-04-2006, 09:33 AM
I just called Honda support and they can't help me they said I would have to take it to the dealer let them diagnose it and call Honda to see if they will cover it and if not then I am stuck with all the charges? I went to my dealer and they know nothing about replacing them for free?? Probably not worth the chance when I can just buy the parts for $100 and fix it myself. I know if its not covered the dealer will then charge around $400. This sux:grr: :grr: I hate when some dealers will go the extra mile and fix them and then mine won't..