PDA

View Full Version : Help! Cam chain off lower sprocket

williat
10-20-2006, 08:37 PM
Ok, I was installing a new piston and, having read both in this forum and in the manual to make sure the cam chain does not fall into the crankcase, I thought I was careful and zip-tied the chain to the frame. Apparently, I wasn't careful enough and at some point it looks like there was enough slack in the chain to make the cam chain come off of the sprocket down in the crankcase. It's not completely loose so that you could just pull it out, but it does appear to be off of the teeth on the sprocket. I guess I have two questions: (1) is there any way I'm going to be able to get the chain back on the sprocket by just maneuvering the chain from above the cylinder? and (2) there is a procedure for accessing the chain and sprocket in my Clymer's manual, but it involves draining the oil, removing the oil filter, and removing a number of other assemblies to get the right crankcase cover off, so my question is whether there is any way to get around all of these additional steps?

Any ideas?

Predatorguy88
10-20-2006, 08:43 PM
You could try to put it back on without taking all that off, but you probably won't get the timing right. As much of a pain as it is, your probably better off going through the steps in the maual and doing it right.

cals400ex
10-23-2006, 10:51 PM
what i would try to do is pull up on the cam chain and i would probably hold it up with a screw driver or something so you can put tension on it by pulling it up. then i would try to turn the crank over by hand. if it stops then the chain is kinked. if it is kinked i would consider getting another chain. in this case, the crankcase cover would need to come off anyways to replace the chain. if it isn't kinked then you are good to go. also, your timing would NOT be messed up. if you have the cam sprocket off then all you would need to do is turn the crank until you see the T mark on the flywheel. once this is doen then put the cam in with the lobes facing down and put the cam sprocket on properly (according to the manual). if you can turn the crank over by hand then there is no kink in the timing chain.