PDA

View Full Version : Rattling cam gear

BossmanEX
10-20-2006, 03:11 PM
Okay, so I tore the 416 down last night and Im ready to clean everything up and put it back together. The problem I have is that the timing gear thats on the cam wobbles. The splines fit tight but there is slack on the shaft between where tyhe gear stops on the shaft and the bearing. Nothing rubs or hits but it is an awful tick. I have complained that the Stage II cam is too noisy, well it looks like I found the noise.

My question is, should I replace the cam and gear or should I just put it back together. It seems like there should be a thrust washer between the gear and the bearing to take up the slack but there isnt one. Was something left out when it was built or should I just not worry about it?

cals400ex
10-20-2006, 06:24 PM
i am not sure what you are talking about. so is it loose where the cam sprocket mount meets the camshaft itself? its not the cam sprocket that is loose is it?

BossmanEX
10-21-2006, 12:06 PM
It is not the sprocket itself but the hub that the sprocket bolts to. The hub is splines like an axle and slides on the end of the cam shaft and the hub is where it is loose or wobbles. If there were a thrust washer between the hub and cam bearing on that side I dont think it would wobble anymore but if there isnt supposed to be one there I would prefer replacing the parts over just rigging it to work for a bit.

I guess my real question is, is there supposed to be a thrust washer there or not. Has anyone else here had problems with the way these parts fit on an aftermarket cam?

dariusld
10-21-2006, 04:44 PM
Do you have the two dowels in place at the ends of the camshaft?

How old is your Hotcam? The early ones had this problem. Do a search. If your talking about the cam sprocket flange. I have one of the later Hotcams, that you still had to press on the flange, but no looseness.

Here is one old old old thread. (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86719&highlight=hotcams)

No there is no washer.

BossmanEX
10-21-2006, 09:50 PM
Yes the dowels are in place. Im not sure how old the cam is or if it even is a "hot cam". There are no distinguishing marks or stamping on it. The only thing I know is what I havebeen told. Which I am starting to have doubts about. So far I have found twisted off bolts, loose head nuts, and silicone in place of gaskets just to name a few things.

Anyways, I took the head to the honda shop and they are giving me an estimate on having the head done.

cals400ex
10-23-2006, 10:47 PM
ok, if that piece that the cam sprocket bolts too is loose then i wouldn't use it if it was me.

duke416ex
10-24-2006, 10:08 AM
If it is a hotcam, there will be a teardrop shape logo near the center of the cam between two lobes.

If you are talking about silicone instead of the base gasket, many people do this to help up the compression a little more, do a search and there will be some old threads on here about it.

BossmanEX
10-24-2006, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by duke416ex
If it is a hotcam, there will be a teardrop shape logo near the center of the cam between two lobes.

If you are talking about silicone instead of the base gasket, many people do this to help up the compression a little more, do a search and there will be some old threads on here about it.

Thanks, Yes the teardrop shaped stamp is there. It is the only mark on it and I wasnt sure if it were a brand marking or a casting.

As far as the silicone, yes it was in place of a base gasket. I assumed this was just to keep from spending money on another gasket. I got a gasket kit so I am thinking I will just put the gasket where it belongs. I dont think I really need to do anything to up the compression any more than it is since it aready has the high compression piston in it.

bansheemorphine
10-25-2006, 06:34 PM
i had the same problem and after i had found out what the problem was about 1/2 hour into riding my motor died went home took the cover off the top of the motor and the spline had comepletely stripped i suggest you buy a new cam

BossmanEX
10-25-2006, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by bansheemorphine
i had the same problem and after i had found out what the problem was about 1/2 hour into riding my motor died went home took the cover off the top of the motor and the spline had comepletely stripped i suggest you buy a new cam

Thanks. That is really helpful info. When you replaced your cam whaat did you go with? Ive heard a lot about Web Cams and was considering one.

duke416ex
10-26-2006, 07:31 AM
I installed an old style hotcam when I had my 400. I called hotcams and talked to them a little abou tit, but ended up installing the cam cause the wear on mine was minimal. It is just kinda up to you on whether you think it is worn to bad or not.

dariusld
10-26-2006, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by duke416ex
I installed an old style hotcam when I had my 400. I called hotcams and talked to them a little abou tit, but ended up installing the cam cause the wear on mine was minimal. It is just kinda up to you on whether you think it is worn to bad or not.

I would replace it no matter what. The new Hotcams do not have to have that flange pressed on, so its not a problem with the new Hotcams.

bansheemorphine
10-26-2006, 02:33 PM
i had an older style stagee 2 hotcam i just bought a newer hotcam and it is still working fine