PDA

View Full Version : Somthings wrong?

Cr85rRida
10-20-2006, 02:34 PM
Okay so i got back from riding just now ( by the way the smoke was just cause she wasent warm) But anyway two things are not right.

One is when i touched the kill switch (pro-design) I got shocked REAL bad. i dont know why either..

and secondly is on the left of my rear brake rotar there is like this ring looking thing thats loose. I have no idea what it is. possably came outta the swing arm??

Ill try and get a pic of the ring thins and ideas though?

TheFontMaster
10-20-2006, 02:38 PM
I think you got your kill switch wires hooked up backwards, and thats whats causing you to get shocked.

Cr85rRida
10-20-2006, 02:41 PM
hmm but if they were backwards wouldnt the quad not start?

deathman53
10-20-2006, 03:07 PM
the ring is what holds in the carrier to the swinger, basically, carrier into swinger, then brake stay, then circlip.

Latemodel32
10-20-2006, 03:37 PM
you have a bad ground that happend to me yrs ago when i still had mt R,sound like the circlip like mentioned if thats loose is your bearings shot?

Cr85rRida
10-20-2006, 04:48 PM
i have no idea about the breaks and bearing im lost when it comes to that stuff, the clip is a circle and has two holes for mounting. ill get a pic right after i eat dinner

BLACKeR
10-20-2006, 05:04 PM
the shock is from having the wrong wire into the the wrong side. itll work either way but if the hot wire is conected to the metal part itll shock you especially when its wet or very humid outside. i might not have described this perfectly i have not put on a kill in a long time. i do know if you just swap the wires itll be fixed.

one of these parts?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/frozsnot/swingarm_88-89.jpg

Cr85rRida
10-20-2006, 05:06 PM
looks like number 34

Aceman
10-20-2006, 08:50 PM
34 is a bolt.

24 is the circlip. They sell a tool at auto part stores specifically for installing these. Looks like pliers but with two prongs at the end. Buy the one that spreads the prongs when you squeeze the handle. Stick it in the circlip holes, spread it and reinstall the circlip in the groove.

wilkin250r
10-21-2006, 07:05 AM
Like other's have said, it sounds like your kill switch is wired backwards.

Your kill switch works by grounding the spark. If your spark is connected directly to ground, it will go there first before it goes to the spark plug.

So, you have one side connected to ground, and one side connected to your spark. When you pull the clip, your kill switch connects these two sides together, and sends your spark to ground instead of sending it to the plug. When your clip is in, these two sides remain unconnected.

Pretty simple, right? If the two sides are connected, you get no spark. If the two sides remain open, then the spark is sent to the spark plug and allows your engine to run. It doesn't seem like there could possibly be a "wrong" side, does it?

In reality, it will work either way, there isn't a wrong side it, except for one simple fact. One of those sides YOU also make contact with. If that side is ground, no problem. But if that side is your spark, you get a shock. Obviously, you're getting the shock. To fix it, just swap them around.

Cr85rRida
10-21-2006, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Like other's have said, it sounds like your kill switch is wired backwards.

Your kill switch works by grounding the spark. If your spark is connected directly to ground, it will go there first before it goes to the spark plug.

So, you have one side connected to ground, and one side connected to your spark. When you pull the clip, your kill switch connects these two sides together, and sends your spark to ground instead of sending it to the plug. When your clip is in, these two sides remain unconnected.

Pretty simple, right? If the two sides are connected, you get no spark. If the two sides remain open, then the spark is sent to the spark plug and allows your engine to run. It doesn't seem like there could possibly be a "wrong" side, does it?

In reality, it will work either way, there isn't a wrong side it, except for one simple fact. One of those sides YOU also make contact with. If that side is ground, no problem. But if that side is your spark, you get a shock. Obviously, you're getting the shock. To fix it, just swap them around.

so all i have to do is unplug the two and switch them? I have the service manual so i think i will be okay. Im going to do this right now and while im out there ill get a pic of the loose item.

Cr85rRida
10-21-2006, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Aceman
34 is a bolt.

24 is the circlip. They sell a tool at auto part stores specifically for installing these. Looks like pliers but with two prongs at the end. Buy the one that spreads the prongs when you squeeze the handle. Stick it in the circlip holes, spread it and reinstall the circlip in the groove.

Oh i ment 24 not 34 it looked like a three sorry lol.

Cr85rRida
10-21-2006, 01:41 PM
welll i was going to just whitch the wires but do i have to cut and reconnect them? the one to ground is the one bolted to the frame right?

wilkin250r
10-21-2006, 04:31 PM
Yep, the frame is ground. And you might have to cut and reconnect them, or you can just live with being shocked all the time.

Cr85rRida
10-23-2006, 04:30 AM
okay im going to cut and re-sotter the wires, n ow about the circle clip, what should i do about this, its just hanging there do i need to bolt it to something or what?

wishmasstir
10-23-2006, 05:49 AM
you need to get a pair of circlip pliers and you stick the ends in the two holes and squeeze the pliers. this will expand (open) the circlip and you'll be able to slide it back over the bearing carrier. the clip holds the bearing carrier in the swingarm. you'll probably have to take off your axle lock nut and your brake assembly to reinstall the clip. i'm not sure why that clip would of fell off like that unless it was seated correctly whenever it was installed last time or if your bearing carrier broke. did you take a big sideways hit with the rear end lately??

Cr85rRida
10-23-2006, 10:40 AM
nope never been into any accidents with her. this suckssss

BLACKeR
10-23-2006, 06:11 PM
dont worry bro, its really a very minor fix. i always install my axle circlip with vice grips and a screw dirver. its hard to get a circlip tool that will open up that big fella.

Cr85rRida
10-25-2006, 12:43 PM
So i have no idea wat to do with this peice?? Can any one tell me where it mounts to? what do i need to take off? I looked in the manual and found nothing, mabey i wasent looking good enough?

D Bergstrom
10-25-2006, 02:35 PM
I am sure it is covered in the service manual where that clip goes. There is a grove on the bearing carrier. After the carrier is in the swingarm, you put on the brake stay, them the circlip goes in the grove to hold it all together. The exploded view that BLACKer posted shows the order that everything goes together.

Doug

86 Quad R
10-25-2006, 02:41 PM
Cr85rRida, are ya having trouble fingering where/how to re-install the carrier cir-clip or what?

attached is a page from the manual. hope this helps out.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid217/pe4f8bdbb084198ef3d3c9a174c1b8675/ec59f00e.jpg

Cr85rRida
10-25-2006, 05:34 PM
86 exactly what you said, i dont know how to re-install it, does it need any bolts or anything? do i need to remove anything?

86 Quad R
10-25-2006, 10:15 PM
where is that pic you were gonna take of your rear carrier assembly? thats shows what your talking about.

kiesta00
10-25-2006, 10:34 PM
I recently installed a new bearing carrier...its easy just slide the brake stay on the bearing carrier, then slide the clip onto the carrier until it fits into the groove on the far right side of the carrier and you're done.

Cr85rRida
10-26-2006, 02:26 PM
heres two pics, one of what it looks like hanging there and then me pushing it so you can see how far out it goes, use the bolt on the rotar for refrence.

any ideas?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/Cr85rRida/HPIM1352.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/Cr85rRida/HPIM1353.jpg

kiesta00
10-26-2006, 03:01 PM
ok you have to take off your rear brake caliper, loosen your anti fade nut, remove the c clip from the axle near the anti fade, slide the anti fade nut to the right, then slide the disk hub to the right (no need to take off the rear tire, just leave everything on the axle)...now you should have clear access to the brake stay and the CIRCLIP that you are having trouble with...here is a picture of a carrier without the circlip installed...

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/kiesta00/carrier2.jpg

now a picture of the carrier with the circlip installed, there is not bolting of anything, just slide the circlip over the right end of the carrier housing then slide it into the groove, it just locks in as shown here...

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/kiesta00/carrier1.jpg

PM me if you want a link to the service manual for the 250r...

If anything I said is wrong please correct me lol

Cr85rRida
10-26-2006, 03:10 PM
okay im going to give it a try ill let you all know what i run into. thanksa for the quick response and pics.

Cr85rRida
10-28-2006, 03:17 PM
Okay heres an update.

I got the breaks off, and slid the nut and disc over to the side.

Which side does the clip point to (the open part)?

and is my brake stay supposed to be so loose? It has alot of play in it.

kiesta00
10-28-2006, 08:17 PM
The position of the open part of the circlip doesn't matter, as long as the clip fits tightly in the carrier's groove. Your brake stay may have some play in it (side to side) but not too much...if you keep having problems with this just bring your bike to a local shop. Its not a big problem so I'm sure they'll help you out.