PDA

View Full Version : Semi-new to racing/jumping and I have some questions

Danzanzio
10-20-2006, 02:33 PM
Alright well I want to get a big bore kit and i have some questions. I have a Honda 400ex and I was thinking about getting a 426 kit. I've been getting into jumping and I wanted to get into MX racing too. So if I get a 426 kit and a stage 2 cam what other things would I have to do?

Do I have to bore the top end out and resleeve or do I just have to resleeve?

What other parts would I need to replace or strengthen so nothing goes wrong or breaks?

Also does anyone know what 426 kit I should get and website that I can order a 426 kit from? Because I can't seem to find one.

EDIT:Also what compression should I get?

And does anyone know some really cool plastics and a graphics kit I could get? I was thinking grey plastics and red, white, and black graphics or something but what ever you guys thinks looks good.

Thanks a lot advanced guys!

cgndhhh
10-20-2006, 03:19 PM
you can get really cheap kits from ebay for like 260 that include the hotcam stage 2 and a wiseco piston. compression depends on whether you want to run pump gas or race fuel. if u wanted to keep using pump gas compression of 11:1 is good, you don't have to resleeve but you do need to bore, if you keep the stock sleeve you might be getting a little too thin so it might be a btter idea to get the sleeve from like a 440 kit and have that one installed and bored for the 426 piston. HD studs are also another thing you can add just for added peace of mind, with an 11:1 compression its less chance of blowing head gaskets but still if you can afford it its not as expensive when you have the motor apart to get them too. As far as pistons go, Wiseco, JE, and Ross all make pistons for our bikes. I read some where on hear that the Wiseco is a little heavier than the JE and Ross pistons(someone correct me if i am wrong) You didn't say but it would also be a good idea to get a good slipon and filter before you do these mods. Think i've answered most of your questions if not let me know, and I'm sure there are lots more memebrs that are more knowledgeable, this is just what i've learned and read from other users on this post.

knelson
10-20-2006, 04:06 PM
going to want to gusset that frame, once you start bottoming out the shocks it starts hammering the frame. I would personally not focus to much on the motor, suspension should come first. For the motor I would call C&D Racing (Top of screen) and order a JE or Ross 87mm piston (416cc), a stage 2 hotcam, and a top end gasket set. take your jug to the local machine shop (that you trust!) give them your piston and jug (along with piston instructions).
Put on a 14 tooth sprocket and you should be pretty amazed!

Danzanzio
10-20-2006, 10:06 PM
The guy I bought the bike form jumped it alot and he's already gusseted it so im good there. Uh I was hoping to get the 426 kit instead of the 416 kit.

Also cgndhhh...you said that i could get a 440 sleeve and get it bored out...but how if a 440 sleeve is better than a 426?

cgndhhh
10-20-2006, 11:50 PM
if u contact C&D racing they will sell u a sleeve for it. From what I had heard they basically use the 440's sleeve but maybe it is a different one, if you call C&D racing though and let them know what you wanna do they can give you better advice like knelson said.

bansheexcracer2
10-21-2006, 06:45 PM
Power dont mean A thing if you dont have the supension to handle it.Get some +2 arms, shocks, tires and rims first.