PDA

View Full Version : Verry Urgent Question!!!

jc_sportrax
09-06-2002, 08:21 PM
I just finished changing the oil in my 2002 300EX. after I got done I started it up and it seemed to run fine, except it got warmed up alot quicker than normal, I know I put the filter in the right way, with the rubber seal facing out, and yes I put oil back in it (duh) I noticed that the honda dealer gave me a different part # filter than usual. The one they gave me is part# 15410-KFO-315. After some searching, I found out that this filter is for a XR250!!! Will it hurt anything to keep running this filter, or should I change it??? one of my frends told me that it's the same as the 300EX filter, is this true??? I also seen a website that said that this part# is for all honda four stroke offroad bikes and atvs between 200 and 600cc. I am verry confused, I need help quick!!! Please hurry, I get real paranoid about things like this!!!...HELP!!!...:confused:

jb400exxx
09-06-2002, 08:29 PM
i'm not sure, but they are probly not all the same, in the catologs when u look for them they do not all have the same part number. dealers give the wrong parts all the time, my local dealer gave my dad the wrong air filter for his 400. i would suggest just go to the dealer and get another one, and tell them they gave you the wrong one. they aren't that expensive, just be on the save side, don't risk screwing up your engine just because of an oil filter.

jc_sportrax
09-06-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by jb400exxx
i would suggest just go to the dealer and get another one, and tell them they gave you the wrong one. they aren't that expensive, just be on the save side, don't risk screwing up your engine just because of an oil filter.

Yeah I know what you mean, I would hate to blow up my just broken in $5k quad over a filter. The only thing is that my nearest honda dealer is almost 30 miles away from me, and they charge about $8 bucks each for filters. I would hate to make the trip out there and buy anuther one and then find out that the one I have now would have been fine!!!, that would be a waste of money. Anyone else know?????:confused: I'm begging, please help!!!

TRX_Thumper
09-06-2002, 09:04 PM
man go 2 norris supercycle off 111....filters are 2.50 apiece.....emgo's....i use them....yeah the emgo box says all TRX an XR models so u r ok....man mines overheats more than cootie brown with 20w50 and a 147 main jetted perfect.....not rich or lean but good....mines hunka junk honda quality is goin down.....

mxracer08
09-06-2002, 10:06 PM
i'm pretty sure that all of the new honda quads have the same filter except for the rubicon, rincon, and 250ex. But i'm not sure about the xr's. But if it fit good and tightened up, i guess it might be the same

jc_sportrax
09-06-2002, 10:18 PM
It fit real good and tightened up with no problem. It appears to be the same size as the one I took out, the only thing that worries me is the little metal plate thing that is inside the filter just behind the hole where the rubber seal is. if that plate is foward more than the stock one is, than the little tube that sticks into the filter may be right up agenst it, causing Verry low or no oil to flow through the filter. Anyone else know.. I'm begging... I still need HELP!!!:confused: :confused:

tprender
09-07-2002, 06:23 AM
All honda TRX and XR's use the same filter. You mine be just thinkong that it got hot. It might be like at the end of a race you will hear all kinds of noises coming from the engine and other places.
Did you put the spring back in? Chgeck the oil and see if it looks like it has circularted.
If you are that worried about it change it.

jc_sportrax
09-07-2002, 07:40 AM
Yea from the looks of it it is the same filter, what I don't get is why would honda use several different part #'s for the same filter??? they are also all the same price. I dont get it... Has anyone else run this # filter??? if so, let me know, I still want some more reasureance that it's ok.:confused:

jc_sportrax
09-07-2002, 12:55 PM
bump.

Houser Cannondale
09-07-2002, 02:35 PM
just call your dealer with the part # and ask them about it

QuadFixer
09-07-2002, 07:21 PM
Just to be safe, if you actually are positively sure that it ran hotter than when you had your old filter. Replace the one you just got for a XR250, or something, and get the part with the same part number as the original filter.

jc_sportrax
09-07-2002, 09:19 PM
I called the dealer I got the filter from and he said that I have the right filter, He said that honda changes part #'s on a monthly basis, and that all XR's and TRX's have the same filter anyways. Also one of my freinds has a 300EX and he recently changed his oil and filter and they gave him the same part # filter as I got, and he has run about at least two tanks of gas thruogh his already and it still runs fine. If it was the wrong filter, would'nt his be blown up by now???... So I THINK mine will be fine, I hope.:cool: Thanks for all the help guys and gals.:D

timewass
09-09-2002, 07:59 AM
15412-HM5-A10 is the correct part number for 98 through 03 models.