PDA

View Full Version : Need some insight! 450R is screwed!

N300exJ
10-19-2006, 06:04 PM
Ok well ive had my 05 450r for a lil over a year now. Its never let me down until the last couple weeks. First the carrier bearings took a crap and ruined my carrier. I have that all fixed and when i went to change my oil tonight my heart stoped. The oil filter was so clogged with metal shavings that the filter actually imploded! And im so not kidding. It looks to be a mix of steel aluminum and a lil brass(if theres any in the engine)(trans?) Now this is what really sucks. Started to pluus it apart. Sparkplug is golden brown and perfect. Took the head cover off and the cam has a tiny bit of scoring on it but nothing serious. Looks like normal wear from being in there almost a year(hrc cam). The oil definatly smells burnt so it wasnt gettin enough oil if any at all. the engine kicks fine sucks in lots of air and blows it out great. I really dont think its anything to do with the piston and rings or crank. Im leaning towards something in the transmission let loose and grinded itself up. ONe thing that troubles me though is that on my last ride the quad felt great and shifted fine. So now eaither way im guessing i have to tear down the whole engine and inspect everything. such a bummer i was gonna give it a fresh top end after xmas. I guess im gonna be doing it now. :sigh: :(

Any thoughts or info would be great. Anyone else have there trans take a crap like this??????

Oh and i always changed my oil every couple rides!(belray thumper race oil)

JW450R1
10-19-2006, 06:22 PM
yeah the lower end bearings are probably bad.the 05 450r's had those issues.i heard they may have changed the make of bearing 1/2 way threw the year.:mad: well i guess it time to build it

N300exJ
10-19-2006, 06:34 PM
I got my 450r In september of 05. so its a later year 05. actually if i waited 3 more weeks the dealer got a bunch of 06's Damn i wish i waited........

ThumPIN_450R
10-19-2006, 07:10 PM
I'm almost 95% sure it's you're lower rod bearing. I've lost a fair amount of these in my days on a Honda and you're symptoms sound the same as mine other than you got lucky and caught it before it locked. Tear that thing a apart and stick in a new crank and any thing that my look suspect and you should be golden. Remember no matter what you do replace the oil pick up tube and oil cooler.

the Z Man
10-19-2006, 07:42 PM
I am sure if the numbers match,, Honda had a recall on some 05's fo rthat reason, it may be covered.
You want to talk to a couple Honda dealers, some say they know nothing about this but they know... Z.
Check your serial number and call..

N300exJ
10-19-2006, 07:53 PM
How could it be covered ive had the thing for 13 months now. the warranty is only for a lil while. I doubt theyll fix it for nothing. How do i check my numbers to see???

speedfreaksguy
10-20-2006, 08:44 AM
It's not transmission or clutch if your filter is full of metal. I would guess it's the lower rod bearing like Thumpin said. The brass looking metal is probably your thrust washers.

GPracer2500
10-20-2006, 10:05 AM
Probably looks somthing like this, huh?

http://www.speedofheat.com/cap/images/death1.jpg

Like others have said, definitely a crank problem. The bronze stuff is from thrust washers getting chewed up. Good thing you caught it when you did.

44oEX
10-20-2006, 10:29 AM
your oil is devided in 2, oil for the motor and oil for the tranny, only the oil for the motor will go in your oil filter and at no time do they ever mix. so anything you see in your filter had to come from the motor and not the tranny...and the oil for the motor, well it's the crank, piston, and head..thats it. so one of those things is the problem...and if it's brass..it's probably the crank.

N300exJ
10-20-2006, 04:10 PM
My oil filter looked worse than that!!!! You couldnt hardly see it cause there was so much caked on it. Oh boy well im gonna rebuild it and than its gonna be forsale. Looking for another 450 to ride.

10-22-2006, 05:28 PM
How often do you cahnge your oil?

N300exJ
10-22-2006, 05:52 PM
every week to two weeks. I put 10 to 20 or more hours a week on this thing. it has well over 500+ hours on it easy.

the Z Man
10-23-2006, 06:37 PM
There is no time limit on recalls, call your local dealer and talk to them. Z.

N300exJ
10-24-2006, 03:16 PM
engine is already apart and all the parts are on there way to fix it. LOL like theyll warranty something all taken apart lol