PDA

View Full Version : 2 Very Important Questions

440exnacsracer
09-06-2002, 08:02 PM
my 440 keeps blowing head gaskets. i think ive finally figured it out. one of the studs was loose, then when me and my friend down the road took it out, the threads came out with it. ive heard about hielie-coils. would this hold or should i get the holes bored out, rethreaded, then get a bigger stud? the second question is every time i get on my ex, the clutch wont grip up. i just put a new PRO-X clutch in it. after about 3-5 minutes, it will grab normally, but sometimes it will still have a slight slip to it when i get on it hard. thanks for any help

Big - D Racing
09-06-2002, 08:12 PM
The problem with your clutch is it a cheap kit that doesn't meet oem standards. As for your head bolt a hiele coils may work, but i'd just tap and rethread the whole up one size. That would guarantee a good hold.

Crypted1
09-06-2002, 08:33 PM
Heli-coils are actually stronger then just the stud. All NASCAR engines put in heli-coils for the heads. they are made from spring steel, and are very strong. We use heli-coils when ever possible at work, they won't strip out!

wyndzer
09-06-2002, 08:45 PM
Call Sparks and get some of his longer thread head bolts, helicoil at the top of the hole and tap out the bottom for the stud length and you will be fine

tprender
09-07-2002, 06:27 AM
Did you soak the plates in oil before you put them in? On some 440 engine the studs need to be replace will larger bolts. The stock seem to get pulled out the head. People think that they blow the head gasket and it is the studs coming out.

MIKE400EX
09-07-2002, 07:19 AM
Make sure the nut is not bottoming on the stud. If the studs have pulled, or the deck was cut much, the nuts will bottom on the stud and not actually clamp the head down. If it's a composite type head gasket you will need to re-torque the head after warming/cooling a few times. Good Luck!

big-guy
09-07-2002, 04:20 PM
DO NOT go up a size on the studs! They are sized to allow everything to expand and contract equally. Heli-coils are the way to go. And make sure everything is torqued to spec.

440exnacsracer
09-08-2002, 09:14 AM
thanks for the help... this is the reason i love this site, its always someone to help. as for me, looks like ill be ordering some parts tomorrow and taking off the head. i think im going with a heli coil and im gonna try re-soaking the clutch plates in oil.