PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded 450 decision bind! Bah!

700bRad
10-19-2006, 11:27 AM
Well like many other riders with the same situation im in the dreaded 450 bind. Im looking to purchase a new bike and I cannot decide which one I want next. Even though I own a YFZ I went in the dealer today and saw the 07' se wow that thing is sweet. I know you guys will probably all say "Well ride all of them and make the decision yourself." or "Sit on all of them and pick which one feels the most comfortable." The response to that is, I have rode all of them, I feel comfortable on all of them and I still cannot make up my mind! Alls I ride is hardcore trails, and climb some pretty wicked steep hills. If I got an ltr I would have them throw some 20' holeshots on in the back and drop the front sprocket a tooth before I took it home so it would be suitable. Is an LTR450 really capable of handling the trails, with horseshoes, and ginormous ravine hills that makes the average rider wet his pants? Im a Yamaha guy and all my buddies have been jabbin me in the ribs for wanting a suzuki, but a few of em have 450r's and I love them. I had my mind set on an 07' 450r se as you can see in my sig. Is fuel injection on a 450 really worth it? I love my rappy cause the yfi but I dunno im just so confused. I will be making my purchase in the next couple of weeks so I gotta make up my mind. I want the perfect trail 450. Right now I dont know which direction to head. Please someone help me out here. I dont want to wait for the KFX450 thats to far away. If some people could please answer my questions and throw there 2 cents in with it, I would find this decision alot easier to make. And remember were talking about the woods here.

10-19-2006, 12:01 PM
WHITE 07 450R

with 20 holeshot gnccs in the rear and 22's up front on hipers with derisi rebuilt suspension and either a sparks or a hmf full system that will have to be my dream xc quad! I think the ltr will be to narrow and wide imo

700bRad
10-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the info. Cmon peeps someone has to have made the same decision im going through right now. Im about ready to make a pole and go off that, thats how undecided I am. Lets hear ur 2 cents.

honda250xrider
10-19-2006, 01:17 PM
i'm in the boat myself to be getting a new 450 im picking the ltr they are head of everyone else imo, once shocks are set up for you the stock works very well. if your like me most of the trails i ride are wide enough for a fairly large quad so the width shouldnt be to much of a problem slap some 20in tires and i think it would be a great machine, and might i add they are getting great numbers out of the quad without doing major work to the motor.

10-19-2006, 01:35 PM
wait for the kawi and KTM

krt400ex
10-19-2006, 01:39 PM
i have the ex cuz i couldn't afford the 450, but i would have gone with the 450R. i love those bikes. for me the suspension was perfect for the trails, the power was smooth as glass, and it was super comfortable. next bike i buy will be a 450R. that is the machine i would pic. they have the fewest loose parts and most things r much easier to access on them. they r easy to maintain, and really reliable. get the 450R

Tom TRX250R
10-19-2006, 01:40 PM
If you are doing simply trails I would steer toward the Honda 450R. It seems to have the best power for trails stock compared to the YFZ which likes the higher rpms better. I prefer to have low end stump pulling power for the woods and steep hills. That way when you don't have much room to hit a hill you can still have the low end to chug up it. The LTR is a good machine but not the best in the woods compared to the others with it being as wide as it is. Go with an '07 450R and mod it out with a pipe, tires/wheels, etc. and you will be happy with your purchase!

Ghost-Rider
10-19-2006, 01:52 PM
450R the zuki is ....a zuki and zuki might be a little wide for trails? and i know people with yfz and i see it as more mx plus i like honda but i think honda is an all around good trail quad company

10-19-2006, 02:06 PM
as much as i like honda and dislike yamaha...for the type of riding you are describing, the raptor 700 is perfect. i had the chance to ride one shortly after i bought my 06 450er and i liked it better...sort of...the 450r likes to rev higha dn don't like to be lugged around...lugging around is kinda nice on some tight windy trails...the reverse was nice, but not necessary...i am used to no reverse...and the suspension was more suited for the trail...in stock form and setting... it was softer and handled trail bumps better than the stiffer 450r suspension...although i have dialed in my suspension a lot better than it was on the day i rode the raptor...

but of the 3, i think the honda is better suited to the type of your riding than the other 2...

honda250xrider
10-19-2006, 02:23 PM
if i were you i'd check on a few dif. sites, there are many sites just for the 450r yfz450 and lt-r450 many will give the pro's and con's of that quad and not so much comprassion of the rest, and they wont have to many biased opions, once you have all the information then choose what one you feel must comfortable going with.

700bRad
10-19-2006, 02:25 PM
I have a Raptor 700 right now and love it. I just want something lighter that I can throw around.

10-19-2006, 02:29 PM
then it is all about looks for you...i see you have the raptor and yfz already...go for the honda...

700bRad
10-19-2006, 02:33 PM
No not all about looks. Im just trying to find out which 450 I want. The reason why I was leaning towards a zuki is cuz fuel injection but dont know if its worth getting the zuki just because of that.

10-19-2006, 02:37 PM
i am not overly thrilled with f.i., just one more thing to go wrong and it is not necessary...would be nice, i wouldn't turn it down, but to have it be a reason for buying a bike...ahhhhhh...not so sure about that

cody anderson
10-19-2006, 03:27 PM
I suggest buying of my by YFZ's.

Three words,

Pimp. ***. Rides. :scary:

krt400ex
10-19-2006, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
i am not overly thrilled with f.i., just one more thing to go wrong and it is not necessary...would be nice, i wouldn't turn it down, but to have it be a reason for buying a bike...ahhhhhh...not so sure about that

i agree 100%, and they r so much harder to work on cuz there is so much more electrical stuff and wires...and it is all in the way of everything

miller821
10-19-2006, 04:11 PM
Don't go with the LTR I got a buddy who has one and he hates it for trail riding. Says its to wide and gets hung up a lot. Awesome quad, don't get me wrong, and I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three, but if it was me i'd go for 450R