PDA

View Full Version : Suspension

Northernrider
10-19-2006, 08:10 AM
I am new to the fully adjustable suspension!! looking for some info on how to set the suspension up, I am 175lbs and i have bottomed out the suspension on my 07 LTR with the dealer set up just making normal jumps, the pre-load is aproximatly at the 1/2 way point, i have not touched the rebound and dampening on this thing yet

Is it best to back everything off to the lowest setting and start adjusting from there?

My thinking that you want the pre-load to be tight enought to not bottomg out with me on it, The rebound should be set to the speed that i ride the track to ensure that its fully rebound before the next obstical and i am guesssing that the dampening should be used with the pre-load to get the right spring tention and to keep a plush ride

Please excuse my ignorence but i want to ensure i know where to start

Thanks for the help in advance

LTR-10
10-25-2006, 10:12 AM
i have an 06 and im 195 and i jump 70 ft doubles with the stock setup and dont bottom out. I dont think they changed anything for 07 but im not sure. With the preload spring nuts at halfway you should be fine, mine are at the top of the threads. try turning up your compresion screw about 3 clicks on the shocks that you think are bottoming maybe that is your problem. no comp. would cause the shock to drop too quickly. the comp. screw is on the top of the shock. use your manual for more info good luck

dg26
10-25-2006, 11:03 AM
Turn your compression in 1 full turn, you want the quad to bottom slightly on large jumps (mine bottoms on eighty plusers) so you use all of your available travel. If one turn doesn't please you turn the preload down half a turn.

Northernrider
10-25-2006, 12:02 PM
Well thanks for the info guys, i will be out and playing with the suspension on the weekend

CdaleXtreme
10-26-2006, 09:15 AM
You want to start by taking your front shock collars up in the front by 2cm, and about 1cm in the rear.

Set your rebound, and compression setting exatcly in the center, (just count the amount of rotations, in half turns, or clicks from all the way in.)

1. this should put your springs about where they will need to be.

Once you have established this base setting, you want to go to your standard riding spot, or track that you know well, and can get repeatable results.

Whoops and jumps, flat landing jumps and higih speed corners are desired, so you can basically tell how your ATV will respond to this situations.

From here it will be trial an error with the compression and rebound adjustments.

2. Compression - best tested on jumps with flat landings, and high speed corners. If the bike is rolling excessively towards the outside wheel you may want to up the compression. If the bike is landing excessively hard off of jumps try to up the compression as well. If the bike seems exsessivley riggid and jarring in small bumps you may want to go with less rebound, you can so as soft as you want, but keep in mind, the body roll, and jump bottoming will increase.

3. Rebound - Approach whoops or a series of sucessive bumps at speed, and pay attention to how your bike handles them. If the back end constantly wants to buck and you feel that you have fight to keep the front end up, try speed up the rebound slightly up front, and slowing the rear down, by about two clicks.

If your LTR handles the first few whoops in stride, but by the end of the section seems to get violent and unpreditable, try speeding up all 3 rebounds by the same amount, because the suspension isnt returning to its full stroke fast enough to soak up the next hit.

What I just said is just the tip of the Iceburg but should help you get a better ride out of your LTR without having to dump a ton of money into the suspension. Being 190lbs you should be able to get a good setup out of those stock springs.