PDA

View Full Version : Senior, what next? need advice

Rootar
10-18-2006, 10:28 PM
lately ive really been considering just working for my dad and staying around close, i mean ever since i was little i have always wanted to move way off, but the older i get the more i enjoy where i live, after being a restraunt assitant manager for the past 6months (my first year at the job i was a cook) i really really miss working out side, lately ive really started to hate my job and well going to college to get a regular day job or inside job i dont think is gonna fit me, i have no problem in school and will prolly have an almost free ride to college where ever i go, but thats 4 years of study or more to get a job that i wont enjoy. plus the cost of paying off what i dotn get under my shcolarship.

My dad has his own business as an eletrical contractor, all he has been doing lately is installing filed and stadium lighting systems. i work for him for two summers before i began the job im at now. I loved working with him and the guys im not much of a mourning person but working 7am -4 or 5pm was so much better i learned something new everyday we worked somewhere different almost every week and i ENJOYED doing that type of work.

I am a senoir this year in highschool i have a 3.7 gpa took all the honors classes, the whole shabang becasue my parents wanted and expected it of me. I have a 27 composit score on my ACT and that was from my junior year i havent taken it agian yet. Now after pretty much working and doing my own thing for the past year ive realized this isnt what i want. i love enigneering and achritechture but i cant work inside for nothing, i hate being indoors during the day, its almost torture.

I know alot of the OLDER members (age wise) could help me out im so confused right now, to me college doesnt seem worth it becasue thats not the kind of job i want. Im good with my hands and i like manual labor. My dad has awalys been on my case about school grades and taking the honor classes and being one of the top students, so that i wouldnt have to work a hard manual job like he does. I like it though and i dunno what to do, i would be prefectly happy working as an electrician 5 days a week for the rest of my life and enjoying what i do and still be able to live comfortably and contine my hobbies like racing and riding......

any wise words for a confused young adult about to be out of high school?

Mc. Muffin
10-18-2006, 10:33 PM
I would finish High School and work with your dad... Maybe one day his company will be yours;)
I'm in the same predicament as you

rooster_20
10-18-2006, 10:51 PM
I went throught a simular situation. My dad loads coal on a major strip job, I took all the honors classes finished with a 3.5gpa, and 21 ACT. I had my mind set on working with him after I got out of school but after talking to other, wiser, people I decided to go to school and atleast see how I liked it. I kinda have some regrets though because I could have been makin ALL kinds of money with him. Oh well you just have to weigh out the pro's and con's man.

Rootar
10-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Mc. Muffin
I would finish High School and work with your dad... Maybe one day his company will be yours;)
I'm in the same predicament as you

yea he'll be looking to somewhat retire in about 10 years and there isnt anyone after me (my younger brother is a lazy worthless moron) plus he needs soem good help becasue it seems as though everytime he gets some good electricains working for him International Paper or firestone goes behind his back and hires them for better benfit and a couple dollars an hour more:ermm: i think the count for the guys that IP hired out from under my dad is up to 6 or 7 now GUYS that he paid to put through appentice college, (which he teaches at also)

Rootar
10-18-2006, 11:01 PM
Money isnt really a major issue with me, i just want to enjoy what i do and beable to live comfortably, and eventually support a family i guess but thats 10 years from now atleast because getting married is not even on my list of things to do in the next 7-8 years haha

rooster_20
10-18-2006, 11:06 PM
That is true and it sounds like you like workin with your dad so thats what I would do. School is killin me cause Im always inside takin tests and stuff I just dont know if its worth it.

Aceman
10-18-2006, 11:19 PM
I didn't read all the posts but electrical work is a good trade. It's demanding and a pain in the a$s at times but it's worth it to me. I love working outside and getting sent to different jobs all the time. Variety keeps it interesting. I honestly can't believe some people can spend their whole lives working in an office sitting at a computer.:huh I'm the type of person that would rather love my job and make less than hate my job and make more. But that's me. You are in a very good position to take over your fathers company as well. With a good work ethic, good business sense and being able to treat people fairly owning an electrical business can be very rewarding. I also plan to have my own electrical company in a few years. Good luck with whatever you decide.

250r4life
10-18-2006, 11:52 PM
just cuz you go to college doesnt mean youre going to sit at a computer all day... ive got buddies who are in construction management, and they walk around construction sites and golf a lot, and thats about it... but they got their degree...

cop292
10-19-2006, 04:21 AM
Go to a local college and prepare yourself to take over the business. It seems to me that business and electrical engineering classes could do nothing but help. This would give you a degree to fall back on as well. Good luck!

450ERRRRRR!
10-19-2006, 07:20 AM
Why do the same old boring job when you can learn how to jump out of airplanes, shoot all kinds of machine guns and kill rag heads for your Country!!! Become an Airborne Infantryman. Join the 82nd Airborne Division and have something to tell your grand kids about when you get old.

Hornbreaker
10-19-2006, 10:46 AM
cop292 Go to college Take a mind blowing class called Electrical Engineering. It's more than just twisting two wires together. Take it from a retired high voltage splicer.

10-19-2006, 11:28 AM
id say if you really enjoy working with your dad hen go ahead and do it, my familly has a business and i work with them and make good money, we build houses...plus youll be able to spend alot fo time with your dad and make money doing it, no paying off college loans or anything like that....my aunt is a doctor and shes 46 and it almost done paying off student loans....i hope to be retired by 46...college isnt for everyone, i always knew i was going to work in my familyl business so i goofed off in school like no other and had tons of fun

bwamos
10-19-2006, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Rootar
My dad has his own business as an eletrical contractor, all he has been doing lately is installing filed and stadium lighting systems. i work for him for two summers before i began the job im at now. I loved working with him and the guys im not much of a mourning person but working 7am -4 or 5pm was so much better i learned something new everyday we worked somewhere different almost every week and i ENJOYED doing that type of work.

I am a senoir this year in highschool i have a 3.7 gpa took all the honors classes, the whole shabang becasue my parents wanted and expected it of me. I have a 27 composit score on my ACT and that was from my junior year i havent taken it agian yet. Now after pretty much working and doing my own thing for the past year ive realized this isnt what i want. i love enigneering and achritechture but i cant work inside for nothing, i hate being indoors during the day, its almost torture.

I'm thinking a Degree in Construction Managment is perfect for you. ;) Get to work on-site, good pay, save your back, etc.. ;)

juanki
10-19-2006, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
I'm thinking a Degree in Construction Managment is perfect for you. ;) Get to work on-site, good pay, save your back, etc.. ;)

also you can check some sort of electrical engenier, and take somo bussines clases .
is always good to do studies because you learn and move foward.

the thing is to always try to give more than enough effort, it is better if you have the tools to do it,like a carrer or degree , but at work you have to be avobe the rest to succed, you have determination to do so, if you dont, and settle for what you have, you'll be an average.
the worst thing is not to do anything.

EX lvr
10-19-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by 450ERRRRRR!
Why do the same old boring job when you can learn how to jump out of airplanes, shoot all kinds of machine guns and kill rag heads for your Country!!! Become an Airborne Infantryman. Join the 82nd Airborne Division and have something to tell your grand kids about when you get old.

if you want real skill do that^^:D btw 450errrr are you in the 82nd if so where ya stationed?

jrm03
10-19-2006, 05:26 PM
I was in your position about 6 years ago. If you enjoy working as an electrician, by all means continue. It is a respectable trade and pays well. If you are able to, find a union hall and enter into an apprenticeship program. After leaving the military (didn't know what I wanted to do after high school) I was fortunate enough to get a job as a Distribution Line Mechanic Apprentice, and I haven't looked back. There is always a future in utilities.

450ERRRRRR!
10-23-2006, 07:18 AM
EX IVR, Yes I was in the 82nd Airborne Division years ago. Best 4 years of my life. I was stationed a Ft.Bragg NC. but you go everywhere like Alaska, Panamau, for traning. You stand more of a chance of dieing just driving down a public road than jumping out of airplanes. Without a dout it's the best damn Fighting division in the U.S. Army. Your only young once, when you get old like me it's nice to say you did something beside live off mom and dad.

Rootar
10-23-2006, 12:12 PM
me and my uncle had a day long discussion made some phone calls and i know what im doing

my first 2 years will be drawn out on scholarships and will be genreal courses and be free then ill transfer to either Penn state or Tristle in PA. and begin the core course for my major, mechanical engineering speacializing in hydrodynamics (shocks and suspension systems) :cool: should be fun ive talked with more than a few enigeers over the past week in the ATV industry that work for very respected companies and each told me i would love it

ak_stick
10-23-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by 450ERRRRRR!
Without a dout it's the best damn Fighting division in the U.S. Army.

Well, they're good, but I dunno if they're THAT good....

I'd personaly advise you against joining the military. Its a crappy life, and alot who join find out its not what they expected....

It is however, a whole hell of alot of fun

Aceman
10-23-2006, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by ak_stick
I'd personaly advise you against joining the military. Its a crappy life, and alot who join find out its not what they expected....

It is however, a whole hell of alot of fun

I'm confused.:huh

That post is one big contradiction. So it's crappy but it's fun. I'll have to remember that.:p

450ERRRRRR!
10-24-2006, 06:51 AM
One thing for sure it's what you make of it. If you hang around a bunch of Whinners, and all you hear is whinning then you"ll be a whinner too! That's why you need to join an Elite Fighting outfit, who wants to kick ***** and take no names. My daughters going in and doesent even know it yet!:p

rbgnwa45
10-24-2006, 09:49 AM
This is my last year of HS. I plan to take a year off and work work work, then buy a cheap car, or maybe an enduro because it will be much cheaper, and I wouldn't have to buy or (want-to) buy something off-road. I have no clue what I want to do for college, and the pressure is on. I was thinking about becoming a pilot, but you start with real small planes and work your way up, so maybe when I'm 60 I can work for an airline? No thanks, I want to get a degree in SOMETHING and then just kind of make a lot of money doing something I enjoy right out of college. But it's too bad I have no motivation to try in highschool, how am I ever going to be accepted? Screw community college!

bwamos
10-24-2006, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Aceman
I'm confused.:huh

That post is one big contradiction. So it's crappy but it's fun. I'll have to remember that.:p

Aka.. Pay is crap. Living quarters are crap. You get shipped around the world as someone elses whim. You live in a constant state of unease, you're living out of a box, etc...

But, you get Big Guns, Tanks, HumVee's, Action, Drama, etc...

aka.. crappy lifestyle yet fun.

ChuckMoe
10-24-2006, 11:21 AM
Go to college, study hard, party hard, meets tons of chicks and get a degree. No matter what degree you get it will aid you with whatever career you choose and the degree will be yours forever. A college degree will give you more career choices, it will not eliminate any.

Thats my opinion. I have a desk job working on a computer and I love it. I also spend most of my free time building houses using knowledge I learned from my dad working with him as I grew up.

TGW_400ex
10-24-2006, 11:21 AM
College is rough I'm in my freshman year. Infact I'm in class right now!:eek2:

Nausty
10-24-2006, 11:49 AM
yea military really badass sometimes and really ****ty other times.

I've been out of highschool only one year and i'm already in iraq operating heavy construction equipment on and off the base.

Ive flown on black hawk choppers over baghdad and done a ****load of cool stuff. But yeah you pretty much get payed to do stuff that other people would pay to do.

RidinRed420
10-24-2006, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Rootar
lately ive really been considering just working for my dad and staying around close, i mean ever since i was little i have always wanted to move way off, but the older i get the more i enjoy where i live, after being a restraunt assitant manager for the past 6months (my first year at the job i was a cook) i really really miss working out side, lately ive really started to hate my job and well going to college to get a regular day job or inside job i dont think is gonna fit me, i have no problem in school and will prolly have an almost free ride to college where ever i go, but thats 4 years of study or more to get a job that i wont enjoy. plus the cost of paying off what i dotn get under my shcolarship.

I know alot of the OLDER members (age wise) could help me out im so confused right now, to me college doesnt seem worth it becasue thats not the kind of job i want. Im good with my hands and i like manual labor. My dad has awalys been on my case about school grades and taking the honor classes and being one of the top students, so that i wouldnt have to work a hard manual job like he does. I like it though and i dunno what to do, i would be prefectly happy working as an electrician 5 days a week for the rest of my life and enjoying what i do and still be able to live comfortably and contine my hobbies like racing and riding......

any wise words for a confused young adult about to be out of high school?

Yea, go to college! I don't know what you have heard about college, but its more than just for lawyers and doctors and business men. Take a look at Wentworth Institute of Technology. (I'm not saying you should go there or anything) But any one of their majors may apply to you (Construction Management, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, Architectural Design, Civil Engineer, etc).. Basically going to college means you can get the job you want, you just get paid more, and you have more opportunities.

You don't have to decide now, what you want to do anyways, there are mandatory classes which everyone must take (english, math, science, etc) Not to mention intro classes, that can get you involved and help you decide what you like and what you dont like...

My boyfriend is a Construction Managment major, and he doesn't wanna sit behind a desk either, and he will never have to.. His orginal major was mechanical engineering, he wanted to design motorcycles, but he decided he liked construction better...

Bottom line is.. go to college, because that automatically puts you ahead of the guy who didn't go to school.