PDA

View Full Version : Hard to start

Nate_450R
10-18-2006, 09:44 PM
I just bought a used '04 450R that has had maybe 3 talks of gas run through it and i am still breaking it in. if i turn the key off to kill the engine, i am able to start it back up with no problem. but if i kill it by popping the clutch when say, racing or something, it takes kick after kick after kick to eventually get it started. any suggestions?

duke416ex
10-19-2006, 06:52 AM
Are you trying to start it in gear with the clutch in? Mine won't hardly start unless it's in nuetral.

Nate_450R
10-19-2006, 08:23 AM
either way, in nuetral or in gear. its only after it has been rode hard that it does it. i took it to a state park near by and was drag racing all day so maybe that had something to do with it? i dont know.

Chino886
10-19-2006, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Nate_450R
either way, in nuetral or in gear. its only after it has been rode hard that it does it. i took it to a state park near by and was drag racing all day so maybe that had something to do with it? i dont know.

Are you using the Hotstart? I know most people don't but I know on my bros bike it helps when you kill it on the track

Nate_450R
10-19-2006, 08:42 AM
sometime...when its hard to start like that, i cant tell that the Hot Start helps any. it still takes alot of kicks to get it going. but if i roll down a hill and pop the clutch it will start right up. its just with the kick start i think.

Chino886
10-19-2006, 08:44 AM
sometime...when its hard to start like that, i cant tell that the Hot Start helps any. it still takes alot of kicks to get it going. but if i roll down a hill and pop the clutch it will start right up. its just with the kick start i think.

I know how you feel, I stalled a one of my buddies 450R during a race, I dropped to last place when I was in second cause the thing would not start! :grr:

Nate_450R
10-19-2006, 08:51 AM
so this is a fairly common problem?

Chino886
10-19-2006, 08:52 AM
so this is a fairly common problem?

I have heard that they are very hard to start when stalled and in gear.

I can't tell you though, I have a 06 450ER converted to a kicker and she will start on 1st or 2nd kick when cold and same when hot if in neutral!

I think a lot of it has to do with how you decomp is set, and if your valves are out of whack. Is it brand new?

duke416ex
10-19-2006, 09:45 AM
The valve adjustment can have alot to do with it or if the jetting is correct on it. Have you put anything on it to affect the jetting, pipe or filter?

Nate_450R
10-19-2006, 12:19 PM
I bought it used from the dealer. the guy who had it before me done nothing to it except some nerf bars, front bumper, and a new grab bar. it has had "maybe" 3 tanks of gas run through it and from what i can tell after actually taking it out and riding other than in my yard and field is that i am still breaking it in. this thing was practically brand new.

ITSTOCK
10-19-2006, 02:48 PM
It's real simple. If it stalls and you try kicking it during a race, DON'T HOLD THE THROTTLE (keep off completely), hold the hot start and clutch in, and kick. I can't help but laugh when I let people borrow it, they can't get the sum-a-***** started :D

So, again...

Remove right thumb from throttle
Place left thumb and hold in hot start
Use fingers to pull in clutch
Kick

:ermm:

400exrider707
10-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by ITSTOCK
It's real simple. If it stalls and you try kicking it during a race, DON'T HOLD THE THROTTLE (keep off completely), hold the hot start and clutch in, and kick. I can't help but laught when I let people borrow it, they can't get the sum-a-***** started :D

So, again...

Remove right thumb from throttle
Place left thumb and hold in hot start
Use fingers to pull in clutch
Kick

:ermm:

I think if he was using his thumb throttle he would be asking a different question...."why did my case crack into a bunch of pieces?"

Sounds like duke416 hit the nail on the head....jetting/valve adjustment.

ITSTOCK
10-19-2006, 05:52 PM
I actually just read his other thread, and it's a twist throttle. Therefore, there's a good chance the 450 was more modded than he was led to believe (filter/pipe??) .My money is still on giving gas instead of just using the hotstart, or not jetted properly ;)

Nate_450R
10-19-2006, 09:52 PM
well thanks guys, and no it has got the stock pipe and is not had anything done except exterior and the throttle. and no...i am not giving it gas because i dont feel like replacing the casing.

Nate_450R
10-20-2006, 10:30 AM
ok guys so im sorry i was wrong...the bike DOES have an HP kit on it. i went and talked to the dealer who sold it to me and was informed just a few min. ago that the guy had put an HP kit on. but he said that was all. so what should i check on it? sorry im kinda illeterate when it comes to this.

duke416ex
10-20-2006, 11:53 AM
So I guess it has an open lid, I mean a lid that is not solid and it has a lrrge hole on the back of it. It also probably has a different end cap if it has the whole kit. I would say if it has the cam but not the right filter lid and stuff then it needs the different lid. Also, if it is the whole kit, then the jetting may still be a little off cause most dealerships just replace what the kit comes with and never check to see if that is the proper jetting.

Where are you located and what are your average temps? This may have something to do with it.

madini
10-20-2006, 02:33 PM
Try turning idle screw up just a little.That worked for me and I was ready to shoot the damn thing!

tltcracing
10-20-2006, 07:20 PM
how about just changing the spark plug? i did it to mine and it was a whole wolrd of difference. and my plug was in perfect condition to (good color) and it still helped.

honda4life72
10-20-2006, 07:30 PM
i coudl go outside right nwo and kick mine one time and it would start no prob...or course i can squate 350 in the weight room so that may be i t:rolleyes: :ermm: :scary:

Nate_450R
10-20-2006, 10:00 PM
Thanks guys for the help. i live in southeast missouri and since i have only been riding it for about the last 3 weeks the temp has been in the mid to upper 60's. and yes it does have the different end cap and im not sure what else but i will check it out. thanks alot guys