PDA

View Full Version : Oil bolt leak

dirtriderex
10-18-2006, 08:07 PM
My oil drain bolt stripped out the other day from wear and tear and I fixed it with a heli-coil. But oil still drips very slowly. When the oil warms up the dripping gets worse. What can I do to fix this leak. I only have 3 or 4 XC races left and i'm pulling the motor so this will be a temporary fix.

Aceman
10-18-2006, 10:05 PM
Here's something to try.

Warm your quad up then drain the oil. Now tip your quad up on the grab bar. Clean the oil off the bolt and out of the drain hole as best you can. Now smear a SMALL amount of silicone all around the threads, on both sides of the crush washer and under the bolt head. Reinstall the bolt and let the silicone dry for a day before you put oil back in it. I'd ride it the quad around for a little bit before you race it though. Not just to check and see if it leaks but also to make sure the drain bolt doesn't back out from having silicone on the threads. Put a wrench on it and make sure it's still snug. I think you'll be alright but it's better to be safe than sorry.

4TraxRider
10-19-2006, 02:28 PM
You can try wrapping the threads with a little teflon tape as well. It has worked for me in a pinch before. Also try a new crush washer. The other could be wore out.

quadsport_rider
10-19-2006, 04:53 PM
i had the same problem with my z 400, the oil cooler tank threads wer stripped so i just go a tap and die set and got the biggest tap/die tool that would fit into the hole snug. then i re-tap and died it and got the bolt the fits the threads. (use a thread pitch guage)

dirtriderex
10-19-2006, 08:07 PM
I tried the teflon tape, maybe i need to use more. I'll give the silicon a try but it does not seem hopefull.