PDA

View Full Version : Starting problem please help !!

RedRider200
10-18-2006, 06:41 PM
Hey guys i havent been on here in awhile .. having some problems with gettin my 400 started.. heres what happened

The other day i was out riding with some friends and my quad started making this clicking noise and shut off. I couldnt get it started again after that so i had my friend tow me home. Right before this happened i let me other friend try to ride my quad and lets just say he doesnt know how to yet, so he stalled a good amount of times. I went to my local honda dealer to pick up a new plug because i thought since the quad was stalled so much that it wouldnt start because my plug was fried. So today i put in a new plug and it still wouldnt start .. my friend and I jumped it and it started right up .. but cannot idle at all ! When the quad is in nuetral it makes this weird sucking/ sputtering noise coming from the front of the engine and just shuts right off. It wont start up without me jumping it so idk what the problem can be .. it has a brand new plug in there and a good charged battery. I think its alittle flooded from tryin to start it so much without it turning over firing up .. any ideas ?? Please help !! :ermm:

stuntman_12
10-18-2006, 08:12 PM
Is it more of a clicking noise? IF so... it could be a valve adj problem...

RedRider200
10-20-2006, 10:15 AM
Yes !! It made a clicking noise before it died on me ! If it was a valve adj. problem how would i go about fixing that ??

stuntman_12
10-20-2006, 10:57 AM
Pull the plastics (you can simply unbolt the fronts and slide them forward and out of the way) Pull the gas tank.

On top of the motor there are 4 circles w/ BIG fives way on them. I can't remember what size they are, try a 22mm. They are the caps that cover the adjusters for the vavles. Take all four off.

... you must set the motor on the compression stroke at tdc. Do you how to do this? If not, here ya go...
on the stator side of the motor, remove the small hex plug... this shows the timing marks on the crank. Spin the motor til the lil "T" marks comes into view and aligns w/ the notch where the plug was. now "jiggle" the valve adjusters... If they don't move AT ALL... spin the motor ONE more revolution till the "T" mark comes into view again. Then "rejiggle" them...lol in one of these two points there SHOULD be some play in ALL of them. Find one or the other..

Now, get a guage feeler... the exhuast valves need .5 and the inake needs .4. The exhaust vavles are to the front of the quad and the intake vavles are to the rear of the quad.
Get a 10mm wrench and loosin the nut thats in view. Do one at a time... then place the feeler under the adjuster, screw the adjuster firmly to the guage feeler, not too firm so you can slide it back out, then tighten the 10mm nut back, tight. Do each one like this; remember, exhaust vavles = .5 and intake = .4. test fire the motor.. and reassymble.

**In your case, you MAY have bent a vavle... so id there are any funny noises, shut her down imeadiatly!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!

This is easy to do.. and you learn a good bit. I try to keep everything i can out of the shop!!!:D :D :D :D :D