PDA

View Full Version : Clutch setups

250Renvy
10-18-2006, 05:57 PM
I need to redo the clutch setup on the stock 88 and the 265 because it's old and after about an hour it's incredibly hard to pull in, and it's slipping.

Just wondering what everybody is running for their clutch setup. I want something really easy to pull and a good replacement because OEM clutch is around $240 to replace.

If I can find a great combination I'll likely redo them all. Are hydraulic clutches worth the money? Or should I just go easy pull?

Aceman
10-18-2006, 06:21 PM
Hydraulic is great! It's nice knowing I'm never again going to have to lube or replace a clutch cable. I think it's worth it if you're going to keep your R for a long time. If it's only for a year or two it's hard to justify a 200 dollar clutch system when the stock cable gets the job done. Man, this hydraulic pulls so easy and smooth, I love it.

CorvetteZ06
10-19-2006, 06:07 AM
most peaople go with a Hinson basket and stock oem honda plates. Oh, and put in some hd springs. Goodluck!

86 Quad R
10-19-2006, 07:07 AM
i run the OEM hub, 89 update hit, P/E basket, EBC clutches, OEM springs and OEM plates. with an easy pull lever and well lubed MoPro cable, its like butter. never any arm pump.

i'd love to have a hydro setup but, the design of them forces ya to do away with the OEM switch cluster for the lights en stuff and i'm not one that's gonna part with that.

KFX400 RACER
10-19-2006, 01:41 PM
What is the 89 update kit and where do I buy this or how? What does it do by the way.

I have a 87 and I think it needs a new clutch so I figured do everything once.

I am thinking of getting the hydro clutch. How do you disconnect the black peice where the lights are and how you shut off the motor? Would I have to buy a cr dirtbike kill switch to be able to shut the motor down. My bro is a electrician so if you guys can tell me how to wire in one and take of the black blob as some people call it that would be greatly appreciated.

So far on my list is a

hinson clutch basket
barnett clutch kit with gasket? what do you guys think of this kit
maybe a hydro clutch kit?
89 update kit whatever that is

I wish I had money for a quick change clutch cover but I don't so that is out of the question. LOL

Sorry for all the questions and thanks guys for helping me since I have joined this site. Its helped alot.

Thanks,
Jake

KFX400 RACER
10-19-2006, 02:34 PM
Well I found out from searching where to buy the 89 update kit from and what it is. It should help since my clutch won't engaged correctly. I will order it through service honda for $55.09

But I still need some answers about the other parts in my last post on what else to get.

Thanks,
Jake

300exQuadracer
10-19-2006, 04:56 PM
deffinately go with oem steels and fibers, 89 upgrade which gives you a thrust bearing and new pushrod, and go with the cr500 springs

86 Quad R
10-19-2006, 06:11 PM
juss my opinion but you can get by without the hydro kit(money saved to apply elsewhere) and you will be money ahead to go with the PE "performance engineering" clutch basket(can be gotten at Motosports (http://www.motosport.com/offroad/productDetail.php?prodId=28943&nav=4&sMMY=HONDA;TRX250R;1986) ) i've ran one under brutal abuse for three years with no sign of wear.

while your in there you may wanna check out the actuator arm where the pushrod sits. if it wears the slightest it will cause your clutch to operate abnormally aswell.

707trx250r
10-19-2006, 07:30 PM
get the pe basket from motosport. it is cheaper than the hinson and just as good. Plus they have free shipping. I put one of these baskets in my 350pv

250Renvy
10-19-2006, 10:27 PM
Why should I go with the OEM plates and fibres vs Barnett or EBC? It's 2 or 3 times as much money? I'll probably do it in the stock 88. And are CR500 springs easier or stiffer? Doesn't a stiffer spring make it harder to engage?

86 Quad R
10-19-2006, 11:20 PM
the oem clutches and springs are tough and long lasting as well are the EBC. the barnett, if i remember right. are aluminum and tend to wear the "ears" faster. especially with a higher torque engine. the cr500 spring and ebc run a close race as stiffness goes. unless your kikin' 60 ponies or better i see no reason to use the stiffer springs. i've used the stock 250r spring along with oem plates and ebc clutches for ages and havent any complaints.