PDA

View Full Version : Whats a Good filter setup with no airbox??

MX450
10-18-2006, 11:02 AM
Im not running an airbox (no link) and i currently have a k&n filter with a sparks foam filter as an outerwares, I mostly ride mx i was thinking of switching over to the k&n with the outerwares cover instead of the foam filter, is this a good idea?

C-LEIGH RACING
10-18-2006, 11:21 AM
If I was going to run a K&N filter, you could rest assured it would have a oiled, foam, pre-wrap filter over it.

I've built a many a 2 stroke engine over the years & theres a big difference on the inside of a engine thats been ran with a K&N filter over one thats used a two stage foam filter.

Yes,
the K&N breaths more & might make a tad more power, but will you be able to tell that small amout of extra power it may make or will you notice more how much it cost rebuilding the engine from all the dirt its sucked up.

I know, I've been there, been in racing sence 14 & I'm 55 now.
Neil

MX450
10-18-2006, 01:11 PM
so i should just stick with the sparks foam over the k&n? rather than switching to a outerwares

TheFontMaster
10-18-2006, 02:48 PM
If it were me I would run a UNI with some kind of outerwear. I would also consider getting an air box, and run it without the lid. If you ever have a muddy day I would not want to be out there riding with no air box.

darren250r
10-18-2006, 04:43 PM
I ride exclusivly in the sand without an airbox. I use a k & n with an outerwear. Before I had the outerwear the filter would be caked with sand and dust in one ride. With the outerwear I can go 6 months between cleanings and its only fine dust that's on the filter. I can throw a handfull of sand on the filter (w/outerwar) and it just falls right off. The only problem with the foam that I can see is that it would tend to have alot of the dirt stick to it rather than fall off.

Darren

MX450
10-18-2006, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
If it were me I would run a UNI with some kind of outerwear. I would also consider getting an air box, and run it without the lid. If you ever have a muddy day I would not want to be out there riding with no air box.

I have a no link setup, i would have to mod an airbox and even then my caliper would crush it, if its ever a muddy day ill just make one with cardboard and duck tape

Aceman
10-18-2006, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by MX450
if its ever a muddy day ill just make one with cardboard and duck tape

That'd look perty!!:blah:

matt250r21
10-18-2006, 06:16 PM
I'm glad to read (C-LEIGH RACING) that somebody else knows how bad K@N's are. I used them once and it sucked dust bad, and yes I oiled it well with the K@N filter oil. People swear by them, I think they suck (dust). I run a Twin Air foam filter with the Twin Air oil, nothing gets by that baby! But I also change them after every ride, why chance it.

MX450
10-18-2006, 07:22 PM
Ok, Im not looking to find out if K&Ns are good or not, or if i should run an airbox. i simply need to know if it would be better or worse to replace the sparks foam covering my k&n with an outerwares prefilter?

C-LEIGH RACING
10-18-2006, 10:20 PM
I, would not replace the foam pre-wrap with just the outerwears itself, install the outerwears over the foam.

We dont have or run an air box & use the Uni two stage filters.
We have in the past ran a muddy MX track, but not real muddy conditions like if it was raining, just from the track being watered.
When we did run in mud, I installed an outerwears over the Uni filter so the mud wouldnt stick. That worked ok, but wouldnt recomend this set up in real bad muddy conditions.
Neil