PDA

View Full Version : More questions....?

screaminta
10-18-2006, 10:43 AM
Ok, so I started the thread earlier about the 38mm A/S carb. I orderd it and that should be here by friday. I am also putting a cr 250 gasket to bump my compression a little. My question is that since the new gasket is going to give me more compression do I have to rejet richer for that? Also, since I believe the needle will be too rich that comes with the A/S, what needle is in the stock PJ carb? I believe that someone told me it was a dgm? but not sure, would this be a better needle than what comes with the A/S? thanks for the help, I'm doing all this to prove to my buddy that my bike will not only beat his (as I have proven), but will destroy his worked z400...

C-LEIGH RACING
10-18-2006, 11:42 AM
Z400, man I got blasters that will leave them setting, even a modded Z.
That Z is a good looking 4 wheeler though, wouldnt mind having one to ride around in the pits, do they make racks for them.

To answer your question, yes if you bump up the compression you will need to re-jet, reason,,, more compression,, more heat the engine will make.
The fuel/oil mix not only lubes all the moving parts but it cools them as well.
Any real high performance engine needs to have an operator that understands how a carb functions & how to set the carb for the engine to survive for what its being used for.

Over my years I have come to know, behind every real good running 2 stroke engine is someone that knows the inside of a carb & how to set it up.

My daughters 330R she is running is on its second race season, 21 events in 2 classes last year, 21 events this year in one class & 8 national events this season in one class. Only changes were a spark plug once in awhile & checking & changing jets.
I'm realy afraid to set down & figuare the hours on that engine, got my fingers crossed, 3 more events to go.
Neil

250Renvy
10-18-2006, 12:05 PM
[i]
Over my years I have come to know, behind every real good running 2 stroke engine is someone that knows the inside of a carb & how to set it up.
Neil [/B]

Neil,

With all the different possible combinations of bore size, porting, pipes, compression and carbs, oil mixtures, latitudes how in the world do you know how to figure it out?

My 265 is having some troubles fouling plugs. I don't know what size carb is on it but I want to bump up compression which will make it even more confusing and I want to ride it this winter or go to some moutain riding next year at 2200ft elevation.

I've ran stock 250R's mostly because they are easy to figure out, but now that I have a 265 ported/piped 250R I crave the power boost.

86 Quad R
10-18-2006, 01:51 PM
it's as neil stated......... you must know the carb and be able to set it up for that engine/condition with confidence. plug chopping 101.

it helps to be able to listen to your engine and be able to tell what it needs, plug chop it and change the jetting/needle accordingly. then take it for a spin and listen to it again. after you've done it enough it'll soon become second nature. :cool:

would you beleive that prior to me getting my R i didnt know the first thing about a 2 stroke let alone how to set a friggin carb up for one. i was brought up around 4 strokes whether it was a sb chevey or a cycle engine of sorts. 2 stroke was very foriegn. :eek2:

screaminta
10-18-2006, 06:44 PM
I appreciate everyone's insight, but i was just wondering for a baseline about the A/S, and I didnt want to take my carb apart now to look at the needle. I have jetted many two strokes before, and I know about plug chops and pilot jets and needles and mains etc. I was just wondering to get me in the ballpark. Also, I have never had a high compression motor because I cant justify race gas, so usually my compression stays near stock. I appreciate it though. BTW C-Leigh do you still do cylinder porting? I heard you were one of the best around.

Lastly, I have beaten my buddies Z a lot but I just put an athena big bore, and cams in it for him so I just want to make sure I can get a little edge of my own, but hes not the greatest rider so I still have faith in my motor thats nearly half of his and I can say that I built my motor from the ground up along with his !!!!!hahahahaha

C-LEIGH RACING
10-18-2006, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
Neil,

With all the different possible combinations of bore size, porting, pipes, compression and carbs, oil mixtures, latitudes how in the world do you know how to figure it out?

My 265 is having some troubles fouling plugs. I don't know what size carb is on it but I want to bump up compression which will make it even more confusing and I want to ride it this winter or go to some moutain riding next year at 2200ft elevation.

I've ran stock 250R's mostly because they are easy to figure out, but now that I have a 265 ported/piped 250R I crave the power boost.

I do it with me old ears.
Just like the old folks say, its going to rain I can feel it in my joints, & about 99.9% of the time it happens.
I can smell rain comming, maybe not as far in advanced as one of the old folk, or maybe I should say my nose feels the conditions before it rains.

I have always jetted 2 strokes by ear, its just something that came to me.
I guess it was the model airplanes & then 2 cycle karts that started that, its the only way you can tune them in.

Remember, when you travel, the higher you go, the less air you have that you can use through the engine.
Neil

C-LEIGH RACING
10-18-2006, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by screaminta
I appreciate everyone's insight, but i was just wondering for a baseline about the A/S, and I didnt want to take my carb apart now to look at the needle. I have jetted many two strokes before, and I know about plug chops and pilot jets and needles and mains etc. I was just wondering to get me in the ballpark. Also, I have never had a high compression motor because I cant justify race gas, so usually my compression stays near stock. I appreciate it though. BTW C-Leigh do you still do cylinder porting? I heard you were one of the best around.

Lastly, I have beaten my buddies Z a lot but I just put an athena big bore, and cams in it for him so I just want to make sure I can get a little edge of my own, but hes not the greatest rider so I still have faith in my motor thats nearly half of his and I can say that I built my motor from the ground up along with his !!!!!hahahahaha

I dont know about the best around part & I still do porting & havent had anybody calling up unhappy with my work.
Neil