PDA

View Full Version : YZ425 Hybrid or Modded Production 450

svahle
10-18-2006, 10:16 AM
I know this will be a bit hard to answer without more information on the builder, etc. But anyway, if we assume a quality builder and quality parts, how is the reliability generally of a YZ426 hybrid. I am fairly mechanically minded, but I do not profess to expertise regarding motors. I love the idea of a hybrid, but I also like my quads to be fairly reliable.

I am currently considering a 426 hybrid built on a Gibson frame that has 250r geometry. It has axis suspension with Gibson a-arms and several other nice parts.

How do the 426 hybrids compare to the new production 450s with regard to torque and hp?

My dilema is ultimately this - Do I go with this hybrid, or a production piped and jetted 450 with suspension and a-arm mods, etc.

I know that this thread being posted in the hybrid forum may make for biased responses, but please try to be objective. Thanks for the input, it is greatly appreciated.

Rootar
10-18-2006, 10:44 PM
from what ive heard the 426 is pretty close in power to the dirtbike 450s and i can tell you if your running the same suspension on both with only the motor as teh difference the hyrid will prolly be faster even only being a 426. I know my CRF 450 is ALOT faster than a production bike, the thing about hybrids is that you need to take the extra 5 minutes before you ride and go over all the bolts on the frame ESPICALLY the motor mounts and stuff. the bike motors have a little more vibration than the quad motors so this is really the only difference is maintence, you really gotta take care of ethier of them because nethier of them is gonna be able to be taken out and ran the piss out of and then jsut washed off and put away for the next race like a 400ex. their high maintence both of them, just like women models, you could jsut say the production bike is all natural while the hybrid has had plastic surgey lol

10-19-2006, 07:14 AM
The yz426 motor stock has 47hp and the yz450 motor has 49hp stock. Add a pipe to eather one and you gain 2hp. You dont need to change headers.

Hybrids "stock" put out the hp numbers of what a fully modded 450 quad would have.

For how much you spend on a new motor you could use that money to make a 450 quad about the same as a hybrid but hybrids are way more uneak and have kick starts allready.

xrxmxcx
10-19-2006, 12:40 PM
i have a 426 hybrid, full aftermarket and longtravel, it has pppplllennty of power in that area, no lack in keeping up with the production bikes, i actually like the 426 alot better, and it makes its power in the high rpm's, kinda feels like a 2stroke:p

10-19-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by xrxmxcx
i actually like the 426 alot better, and it makes its power in the high rpm's, kinda feels like a 2stroke:p

The yz426 is said to be the only 4 that is alot like a 2 stroke. the 426 has major bottom end too.

kyleschonert
10-19-2006, 04:20 PM
alot of bike motors feel like a two-stroke. Three of my buddies have YZ250F motors in their 400EX frames, and you can't just lug it into a corner like you could on a 300EX. Alot more shifting on the bike motors than production motors if you ask me. THe power they put out is worth it though.

hontrx265r
10-20-2006, 06:45 AM
Sorry it took so long to get your pipe, xrxm but it looks nice, hope she performs to your expectations. That one was one of my favorites, over a full sparks, whitebros carbon fiber with megaphone, and a TC shorty, I found the spark arrestor for it in the garage forgot I had it so I'll send that your way, incase you hit the trail.

xrxmxcx
10-20-2006, 12:42 PM
that sounds good, ill probably need it to pass tech inspection next year w/ the DB test at our races

figair
10-20-2006, 08:30 PM
If I may ask,this quad you are looking at was it on ebay.I believe he had 2 of them,that he raced..it looks like an awesome quad if it is,I was actually looking at it.BUt,it looked liked it was abused,If I remember correctly it looked like it had alot of rust on it...Just be carefull when you buy a hybrid.They are awesome bikes(I have 2 of them)Just make sure if you are buying from another state to ask for alot of pics and ask alot of ?'s about it.YOu could tell if the bike has been taken care of or not in the pics,or if its been butchered up.
The only way I would go w/a production bike is if your planning on running the pro class.Other than that hybrid all the way,another reasoon being is parts are unbelievable CHEAP,250r parts,(aftermarket)even 400ex geometry parts.They are so cheap on ebay or even on this sight.Plus the power of a yz or crf is un real,but like anything you have to take care of it,if you want ti to treat you well.Just my 2 cents and good luck w/your choice..
:D

figair
10-20-2006, 08:33 PM
By the way XRXMXCX your quad looks good w/the new plastic and graphics...

svahle
10-20-2006, 09:06 PM
I continue to appreaciate all the input. I think a hybrid would be a good choice for me if I can find one in good shape. If anyone has anything else to add I am all ears. Thanks again.

gtilley45
10-22-2006, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by figair
If I may ask,this quad you are looking at was it on ebay.I believe he had 2 of them,that he raced..it looks like an awesome quad if it is,I was actually looking at it.BUt,it looked liked it was abused,If I remember correctly it looked like it had alot of rust on it...Just be carefull when you buy a hybrid.They are awesome bikes(I have 2 of them)Just make sure if you are buying from another state to ask for alot of pics and ask alot of ?'s about it.YOu could tell if the bike has been taken care of or not in the pics,or if its been butchered up.
The only way I would go w/a production bike is if your planning on running the pro class.Other than that hybrid all the way,another reasoon being is parts are unbelievable CHEAP,250r parts,(aftermarket)even 400ex geometry parts.They are so cheap on ebay or even on this sight.Plus the power of a yz or crf is un real,but like anything you have to take care of it,if you want ti to treat you well.Just my 2 cents and good luck w/your choice..
:D

I agree.

Personally, I think that there still hasn't been anything built that handles as well as a 250R. A 4 stroke, fully aftermarket 250R has always been my dream quad. I can't wait to start the rebuild on mine so it'll look as good as it rides. A guy contacted me about trading my LSR/CRF450 for a Walsh/YZ426 and I was probably gonna do it, but I guess one of the guys buddies talked him out of it. I like Yamahas better myself. Plus, like somebody else said, the YZ426 motor hauls balls!!! They can be hard to start if you don't know what you're doing though. But, a YZ450 motor can be made to fit a YZ426 quad with some slight modifications to the motor mounts. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against my CRF. I was just always a Yamaha guy until I got it, and I still like the Yamahas.

KingpinsEx
10-23-2006, 10:17 PM
Yup yup yup.....like all these guys said u cant really beat that 426 motor. A buddy of mine just bought an '02 dirtbike (bone stock) and i took her for a spin, all i can say is WOW! I have ridden modded CRF 450s and could barley tell a difference in power, they are very close. IMHO i would defenitley go for the hybrid, not only are they unique, but produce more, reliable HP. And just think about this...you can buy or build a trick hybrid for a few thousand less than a new 450. Sure they are new and factory, but your gonna be looking at investing even more, several thousand, to get them up to par with where your hybrid would be. I will be looking to build one soon as i get some extra funds....

Ripitupfilms
10-25-2006, 02:40 PM
I 100% support hybrids there nothing that handles better in my opinion.. There alot easier to work on and maintain again in my opinion.. THe only thing bad this if you Race wpsa or Atva series the classes are limited:ermm: