PDA

View Full Version : need legal help

2004-400ex
10-18-2006, 04:51 AM
i put a down payment on a truck saterday and have a paper signed by the dealer and myself saying the truck is mine. i called today to findout what is going on(i have not heard from them scince saterday) they told me "we dont want to sell you the truck we would lose to much money in this deal" then hungup.

now my question is what to do about thwe truck and if the paper says the truck is mine then how can they not sell it to me. this is in Rhode Island.

fandl450r
10-18-2006, 06:10 AM
What type of "paper" is it a contract? Also are you finacning the vehicle etc?

Predatorguy88
10-18-2006, 09:08 AM
Did you sign a contract? I used to be in Sales at my local motorcycle/atv dealer, and once the sheet was signed, and you were approved for financing if you were going that way, the deal was done. The only way to get out of it was if the customer told us they were backing out, other than that, the dealer couldn't stop the deal, but we had to check with the Managers for every step to see if the offers were reasonable, so they knew what they were getting into from the get go.

If the car dealership is anything like that, and you were approved for financing, then the vehicle should be yours.

10-18-2006, 09:14 AM
one problem i see is that you are not 18 yet, therefore a minor in the eyes of the law. this may be a way out for the dealership, unless your parent also signed.

coolguy8769
10-18-2006, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad
one problem i see is that you are not 18 yet, therefore a minor in the eyes of the law. this may be a way out for the dealership, unless your parent also signed.

do the math, he just turned 18

fandl450r
10-18-2006, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by coolguy8769
do the math, he just turned 18

I did the math too, and I hate to say it, but speedy is right. October 31, not the 13th.

As far as contracts go, unless you have a cosigner the dealership has no legal obligation to sell you the vehicle. If you signed it with a cosigner you have some recourse, but without one, the contract is voided due to the fact that you are a minor.

crazedape
10-18-2006, 10:32 AM
The contract is not voided if you are a minor. If you have credit and get approved that is all you need. The minor can back out of the contract but a dealer cannot. The minor actually has so much more pull than an adult once a contract is signed.

QuadJunkies
10-18-2006, 11:02 AM
Doesnt some of this depend on State laws too?? I know herein Idaho there is a certain amt of days /hours you can Cancel .Thats even when you buy a house. I had actually canceled a purchased TWICE before on a vehicle even after I drove off with it.

fandl450r
10-18-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Doesnt some of this depend on State laws too?? I know herein Idaho there is a certain amt of days /hours you can Cancel .Thats even when you buy a house. I had actually canceled a purchased TWICE before on a vehicle even after I drove off with it.

I know different states have different statutues, but I thought this was nationwide. I'll have to go and re-read tonight lol.

QuadJunkies
10-18-2006, 11:07 AM
I deleted my post after I read his question better. I guess my post didnt pertain to his answer really.. lol But, in our State there is some kind of cancelation law for BUYERS. I backed out of two car sales,one after I drove off the lot. Im glad I was able to do that with the truck,the motor was bad.
My Dad told me about this as he done Car sales for 20 years.

2004-400ex
10-18-2006, 05:40 PM
i am paying in cash. i have a paper saying i put 500 down and will pay the rest when i pickup the truck.

and the lady is being a prick.

Quad18star
10-18-2006, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by 2004-400ex
i am paying in cash. i have a paper saying i put 500 down and will pay the rest when i pickup the truck.

and the lady is being a prick.

Then you have a legal contract .

Her accepting the $500 deposit binds her to the contract . If she's unwilling to sell , you can get a lawyer involved if you really want the truck that badly .