PDA

View Full Version : This is getting REALLLLY OLD....

QuadJunkies
10-18-2006, 12:45 AM
Just when I THINK we have covered EVERY single weld/gussett on the minis, then this happens... :grr: :(

Im not sure if this is even fixable at this point. Its showing some rusting from the inside and its had alot of wear a tear on it .We may fix it and keep it as just a back up in case the new one breaks. The Sucky part is we just put a new Gusset kit on it and only got one race on it before this happened..:ermm:

Are all the minis racers breaking there frames just about every time they race them???
I cant wait until they can upgrade to something a little more durable.This is killing our pocket book! :scary: :p
Is this a common spot to break ?? Were headed out again this wk end, I hope my son doesnt break the other frame on the other mini or hes S.O.L for a few weeks. LOL
This is the second break in two weeks on the mini ,the other was a reinforced motor mount.

My question would be for you expert welders...

Anything maybe we should do next time differently on the new Chassis that may help avoid another brake like this?? These AC nerfs have to be welded on to the frame.Would some kind of additional reinforcement ,maybe something to each side ?? I know very little about welds so Im open for suggestions .

Mxjunkie
10-18-2006, 01:59 AM
Gusset maybe? ( tig welded )

TheMachine
10-18-2006, 05:14 AM
my step sister broke hers in the same spot 4 times

ShiftFMX
10-18-2006, 05:20 AM
You dont need that part anyways :chinese:

10-18-2006, 07:54 AM
try and weld 2 brackes coming off eah side of he nerf so there are 3 points of support instead of 1, you knwo what im saying....like how a peace sign is...just an idea

bayou boy
10-18-2006, 08:10 AM
maybe where the nerfbar peice welds to the frame...instead of welding the mount directly to the frame get another peice of pipe a slight bit bigger and split it in half where it is like a sleeve. weld the nerf mount to the split pipe then weld the split pipe to the frame. it acts as a doubler giving it a thicker and wider mount at the frame.

fandl450r
10-18-2006, 08:14 AM
Not sure if this is a possibility, but I think on some aftermarket frames I've seen a single piece of tubing is welded in so that in theory each side supports itself. So a single tube would extend from one side of the frame to the other.

QuadJunkies
10-18-2006, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by fandl450r
Not sure if this is a possibility, but I think on some aftermarket frames I've seen a single piece of tubing is welded in so that in theory each side supports itself. So a single tube would extend from one side of the frame to the other. hmmm...I think I know what your saying...
We have also had to insert into the tubing to make a solid piece before so its stronger. That pice is rock solid now. Last week he broke the HUG bolt that helps support the motor last week...:scary: we go over these over and over and over to make sure they arein tip-tp shape each time they ride/race them
Im convinced no matter what you do-they will brake constantly LOL :p

And MY BAD... I just realized when I posted this last night it wasnt in the mini section,rather the open section .:o

QuadJunkies
10-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Honda86
try and weld 2 brackes coming off eah side of he nerf so there are 3 points of support instead of 1, you knwo what im saying....like how a peace sign is...just an idea
thats EXACTLY what I was thinking.! I have never seen it done that way, but less stress on ONE point. :)

Do you think its fixable though?? I feel so sorry for that poor little frame!:p

fandl450r
10-18-2006, 10:44 AM
Like this, this is how most propegs are done.

http://jbatvracing.com/images/frame/gusset_kit_on_frame.jpg

http://jbatvracing.com/images/frame/yfz_gusset_kit_parts.jpg

Single pieces of tube welded into the frame, much stonger than just welding one on each side.

QuadJunkies
10-18-2006, 10:57 AM
Ill be sure and show that to Troy!I like that !
And before it was the front welds Literally, they have just about broke all the welds at some point. I think we have got the other mini pretty well done now though.

Its important we get this one up top notch . Unfortunatly the minis have kept us so busy we have not as much free time to get her Blaster project started.So she will have to start out the next season on her mini until we can get it done. Sucks for her cause shes just too big for it now. And eventaully this will be Brandons back up quad. He REALLY taken a liking to hers,its seems to handle alot better than his does for some reason.

fandl450r
10-18-2006, 11:06 AM
That was taken from JB racings website. I'm almost positive he does this to the mini's as well. I want to see pictures of that Blaster CR85 project soon! :)

Oh yea, and this is my 1000th post yay.

QuadJunkies
10-18-2006, 11:10 AM
That was taken from JB racings website. I'm almost positive he does this to the mini's as well. I want to see pictures of that Blaster CR85 project soon! :)

Oh yea, and this is my 1000th post yay.

I will be sure to post :) She needs to be getting more aggressive on her Blaster soon and she needs to stay off both the Hondas,she taken to the 4 strokes more and more and Im skerd she wont like her Blaster when its done .

Congrats BTW... I was going to ask you in the other topic,did you say your going to school studying business?

fandl450r
10-18-2006, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
I will be sure to post :) She needs to be getting more aggressive on her Blaster soon and she needs to stay off both the Hondas,she taken to the 4 strokes more and more and Im skerd she wont like her Blaster when its done .

Congrats BTW... I was going to ask you in the other topic,did you say your going to school studying business?

Yea I don't suppose you could fit a CRF150F motor in it? lol.

Yup sure am, planning on getting my MBA after I finish my bachelors. It's definitely a fun program, and I really enjoy the classes, so it's not to bad.

QuadJunkies
10-18-2006, 11:34 AM
Im sure the 150's are goign to be coming out ofthe wood work here very soon. Troy kicks himself for not buying that motor instead.I really dont mind simply for the fact it will be a little time before thre is enough to figure out where to stick them (Im assuming 90 MOd maybe?) Ive seen them race, they will be a great ripper for kids LILQJ's age :macho

Who knows...
Once the build it done, the change in motors wont be too big of a deal.Maybe we could throw it in mine and she can run the 400ex with a 150 in it... hehe . Ive been looking for an excuse to upgrade next spring anyhow. Its the darn suspention thats so expensive!:(

fandl450r
10-18-2006, 11:43 AM
Im sure the 150's are goign to be coming out ofthe wood work here very soon. Troy kicks himself for not buying that motor instead.I really dont mind simply for the fact it will be a little time before thre is enough to figure out where to stick them (Im assuming 90 MOd maybe?) Ive seen them race, they will be a great ripper for kids LILQJ's age :macho

Who knows...
Once the build it done, the change in motors wont be too big of a deal.Maybe we could throw it in mine and she can run the 400ex with a 150 in it... hehe . Ive been looking for an excuse to upgrade next spring anyhow. Its the darn suspention thats so expensive!:(

Yea I went into the Honda dealer yesterday and saw one, and jesus, looks like a mini CRF450. I want a motor like that for a pit quad lol. Yea from what I've heard they will be sticking them in the 90 mod class, much like they did when they increased displacement to 450 instead of 440 in production classes. That 150 motor in the 400ex would rip.

Oh trust me I feel your pain in the suspension department. Especially when you do things like Ti springs, etc. Imagine having all that suspension and grenaded motor sittin in it. Makes me cringe.

QuadJunkies
10-18-2006, 11:47 AM

Oh trust me I feel your pain in the suspension department. Especially when you do things like Ti springs, etc. Imagine having all that suspension and grenaded motor sittin in it. Makes me cringe.

:(

fandl450r
10-18-2006, 11:49 AM
:(

Yea I'm still trying to decide what I want to do with it. But I'm sure she'll like the Cr85 motor, it will be a ripper. Have you looked into any certain kind of arms/shocks etc? I have a friend selling a set of burgard arms cheap, let me know if its something you're interested in.

QuadJunkies
10-18-2006, 11:54 AM
Wer are still searching and researching.. leaning towards SMS. I dont know that I like the swingarm design so much, I have been so short on time on research .I cant even find a nerf bar for it I like yet !:ermm:

QuadJunkies
10-18-2006, 11:22 PM
too bad that kit woudlnt work on the mini, I like it but it wont work .
The boys are going to see if they cant get something to work for the meantime until the frame arrives.

BradLoomis
10-19-2006, 09:43 AM
Tina,
To fix the torn frame/nerf bar mount area... Take and split a 1 1/8" .095 wall tube down the middle and bevel the ends like an oval. Patch the hole and then place this piece over that and weld to the frame then weld the nerf bar mount to this new plate cover. The larger area for the weld will place less stress on the weak steel frame and spread it out over a larger area. You can also drill a few holes in the patch before you weld it on, and then when you fill them in to add more attatchment points. It doesn't fix the problem of weak steel in the factory frame, but it will take care of your current problem.

QuadJunkies
10-19-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by BradLoomis
Tina,
To fix the torn frame/nerf bar mount area... Take and split a 1 1/8" .095 wall tube down the middle and bevel the ends like an oval. Patch the hole and then place this piece over that and weld to the frame then weld the nerf bar mount to this new plate cover. The larger area for the weld will place less stress on the weak steel frame and spread it out over a larger area. You can also drill a few holes in the patch before you weld it on, and then when you fill them in to add more attatchment points. It doesn't fix the problem of weak steel in the factory frame, but it will take care of your current problem.
thanks Brad, Troys going to work on it tonight so hopefully it will be good to use for the wk end.

mxmike17
10-19-2006, 10:46 AM
I would also stiffen the suspention some. When the shocks bottom...Frames crack fast

QuadJunkies
10-19-2006, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by mxmike17
I would also stiffen the suspention some. When the shocks bottom...Frames crack fast

LOL These shocks are stiffened up as much as they can go :p
Ive got to find Brandon a better set up next season his suspention just isnt cuttting it anymore :ermm: :( I had another set built, they are brand new Ill be selling because they dont seem to be enough for him. It has its pros and cons,either way (for him) they are not what we want so Ill stick with the original ones I think.

I guess from earlier this spring when Kelsey bottomed it out (she blew her shocks) she bottomed a jump pretty hard. Hard enough it sent her completely off the tabletop,that might have been the hit that helped weaken this . Who knows! lol

AtvMxRider
10-19-2006, 01:20 PM
If they are not breaking anything they are not riding hard enough;)

QuadJunkies
10-19-2006, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
If they are not breaking anything they are not riding hard enough;)
as messed up as that sounds,therre is prol. some truth to that! lol:p :scary:
I have to say, the motors have been whats held up the BEST of anything this year.

Just so long as its not any bones
Troy got the frame fixed tonight, I havent even went andlooked yet, but at least my Boy has a quad for the wk end :)

newnick
10-20-2006, 02:04 PM
I'd have to disagree a little on that comment. My sons 04 has cracked the frame in one spot between the rear motor mounts and has ripped the front mount off. Both of these problems were before this season. This season we have had no problems except for a few bolts coming loose. The pic of the nerf mount does not look like our mount at all and I believe may be part of the problem along with suspension. The type of welding is important too. By the way Tina my boy won the class he was in this year.

QuadJunkies
10-20-2006, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by newnick
I'd have to disagree a little on that comment. My sons 04 has cracked the frame in one spot between the rear motor mounts and has ripped the front mount off. Both of these problems were before this season. This season we have had no problems except for a few bolts coming loose. The pic of the nerf mount does not look like our mount at all and I believe may be part of the problem along with suspension. The type of welding is important too. By the way Tina my boy won the class he was in this year.

The track we rode on is VERY rough and full of spots that clearance is an issue. I think ALOT has to do with that. Running the smaller tires out there makes it even worse. His suspention set up is as good as its going to get,even with the new shocks .The big quads run 20's out there so I cant even imagine what the minis deal with :scary:
He ended up putting on an upper support made of angle iron running arcoss the top of the frame, grooved out to fit ,then welded to the foot peg.
thats GREAT news about your son!! CONGRATS! :)

newnick
10-21-2006, 04:52 AM
I agree Tina, if the frame is high centering your not going to be able to do much at all. Unless you can drive a tractor.
Thanks

oldyeller
10-21-2006, 12:43 PM
I'm curious why anyone doesn't use the stock floorboard mounts?..You could either bolt them onto the factory mounts or cut the factory floor boards off and leave the two pipes sticking out for the nerf to attach to ,basically the same as having the two pipes welded to the frame but not having to do the welding?...This seems like a stronger idea to me and its also replaceable without doing any welding on the frame..

oldyeller
10-21-2006, 01:05 PM
Why not cut these pipes and mount the nerfs to these?........
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f84/frdnut/IMG_3014.jpg

newnick
10-21-2006, 02:41 PM
We had some like that at first. They fell apart before my boy started racing.

oldyeller
10-21-2006, 03:02 PM
Why did they fall apart Newnick?...Where the nerfs themselves poor quality?....It just seems like a better/simpler design to me..

QuadJunkies
10-21-2006, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by oldyeller
I'm curious why anyone doesn't use the stock floorboard mounts?..
We done that for a long time, but my Son busted them to bits... LOL when the kids get to riding agggressive, they arent that hot acutally. In fact, I think i have some pics of it when it was all busted up.:p they actually dont have an aggresive enough footing to them either.They also dont clean themselves off well and layer up.;

oldyeller
10-22-2006, 10:11 AM
We done that for a long time, but my Son busted them to bits... LOL when the kids get to riding agggressive, they arent that hot acutally. In fact, I think i have some pics of it when it was all busted up.:p they actually dont have an aggresive enough footing to them either.They also dont clean themselves off well and layer up.; I'm not following you?..Are you reffering to the stock plastic floorboards?..I was only talking about using the stock mounting points instead of welding new bars to the frame...You could use any nerfs and foot pegs you wanted...

QuadJunkies
10-22-2006, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by oldyeller
I'm not following you?..Are you reffering to the stock plastic floorboards?..I was only talking about using the stock mounting points instead of welding new bars to the frame...You could use any nerfs and foot pegs you wanted...

MY Bad oldYeller, I was in a hurry this last time around posting as I was headed out riding... LOL I guess I should have read that better.

I cant remeber what the stock mounting set up even looks like anymore.
:o

QuadJunkies
10-26-2006, 12:08 AM

Unfortunatly the minis have kept us so busy we have not as much free time to get her Blaster project started.So she will have to start out the next season on her mini until we can get it done. Sucks for her cause shes just too big for it now.

update....
Not anymore... we bought her a Hybrid and it will be here next week.:)

newnick
10-26-2006, 05:19 AM
Cool, we'll be lookin for the pics when it comes in.
Oldyeller, we had some nerfs that had a mounting bracket that bolted up in the stock location, which is a great idea, but they were not built strong enough and fell apart.

QuadJunkies
10-26-2006, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by newnick
Cool, we'll be lookin for the pics when it comes in.
Oldyeller, we had some nerfs that had a mounting bracket that bolted up in the stock location, which is a great idea, but they were not built strong enough and fell apart.
they are up ,they are in the LILQJ's project quad thread
Here it is.

newnick
10-26-2006, 12:02 PM
Sweet.