PDA

View Full Version : No airbox, whats a good filter setup?

MX450
10-17-2006, 10:07 PM
Im running no airbox on my quad (no-link 250R) and i currently have a kandN and then a foam sparks filter over it, i was thinking of switching over to the outerwares prefilter, is this a good idea with a k&N and no airbox?

zach450rnut
10-19-2006, 12:37 PM
k and n and no airbox is a bad idea cause k and n is know for more flow with mean more dirt in not a good idea at all man im tryin to help you. u will tear you motor up like that go with the uni set up its foam

10-19-2006, 01:03 PM
I been running no air box and a k&n air filter and a outer wear for 3 years no problums what so ever. Never had dirt in the intake tube yet.

04TRX400EX
10-19-2006, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by slow
I been running no air box and a k&n air filter and a outer wear for 3 years no problums what so ever. Never had dirt in the intake tube yet.

I have the same setup. I take my airbox lid off when I go up to Flagstaff to ride to let some more air in. The filter is dirty when I come back but there isn't any dirt getting near the engine. I will sometimes find some in the actual intake tube into the airbox, but not into the engine. I like K&N, regardless of what people say.

Warrior-mx
10-19-2006, 09:10 PM
THese k&n guys are crazi lol j/p guys. I reccomend a Uni but depending on wat type of riding u do. IVe heard many stories about how k&n lets a bunch of crap in. And on my cuzes quadzilla it let so much in the the piston rings were caked w/ dirt so... If ur using ur quad on road use k&n off road Use UNI!

Nate_450R
10-19-2006, 11:51 PM
yeah i agree. i have always heard that K&N filters very little to none. i dont know how much truth it holds since i have never used one but thats what i have been told. just gonna throw that out there.

jeremy_283
10-20-2006, 04:49 AM
just use whatever filter you want........ uni on a 400ex seems like a POS to me because mine had that plastic cage and it would always warp........ now i have a pro design foam

FJC50
10-20-2006, 04:01 PM
instead of leaving the air box cover off, k&n makes the power lid which has a air filter built in. i have both the k&n filter and power lid on and have found no lose of power and no dirt getting into the air box.

MX450
10-21-2006, 10:24 PM
ok, the airbox lids suggestions do not apply to me because i dont have an airbox, i have a no-link 250r and an airbox is a pain in the butt.

So maybe a pro design foam filter with an outerwares?

jrm03
10-22-2006, 10:34 AM
I run the K&N Outerwears combo and i really like it. The filter is WAY cleaner when I clean it after a long ride on the dirt. It also seems to do well in the water. No spitting and sputtering like has happened before.

gtilley45
10-22-2006, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by MX450
i have a no-link 250r and an airbox is a pain in the butt.

So maybe a pro design foam filter with an outerwares?

You ain't kidding, I hate how the airbox on my no link hybrid is. It is too rigged up for my taste. I've been considering the same thing as you, just runnning an open filter. I know when I had my Banshee, I didn't run an air box. I used UNI filters on it and never had any trouble. Just make sure you clean and oil the filter after EVERY ride. If I go to this setup on my hybrid, I'm gonna get 2 or 3 filters just so I can always have a spare or two.

Also, have you ever seen the LSR no-link air box that they used to make? I've thought about trying to find one of those. But they only work with a K&N filter and I'm not too crazy about those. And I've heard that some company makes an aluminum one. Anybody know anything about either of these?

fox17
10-22-2006, 01:31 PM
k and n with a outer wear is fine. if that aint good enough for you then get a outer wear air box cover. it is a lid made out of outerwear and is water repellent too. there is always sand in my air bix but never in the carb or the tube to the engine. mine is a 2000 and have no problems at all. 6 years is pretty good.

red426ex
10-22-2006, 03:25 PM
i race motocross over the summer and i ice rae oval in the winter ( i live in wisconsin ) and i dont have any airbox at all on my 2000 426 ex and i run and reccomend a K&N with a K&N or outerwears precharger or pre filter there the same thing outerwears is cheaper but i run K&N filter and a outerwears precharger and have no problems with dirt or water from snow and ice so i would suggest you just run a K&N since you have one and then throw a prefilter on her should be fine for anything except mud bogging and creek crossing

10-23-2006, 10:30 AM
The spot the filter is stays away from most dust. I went in teh mud one time and got all muddy and the cleanest thing on the quad was the filter which only had specks of mud on it. I think hte whole filter thing is a myth. The k&n filters are the best flowing filters out and the only way you will suck dirt is if you dont oil it good enough. The outter wear helps alot too.

I ride in clay dust (worst thing for k&n filter) And it still dont get to dirty ane no dirt in intake tube. If their was dirt in it i would be able to see cause the intake tube is white so dirt would stand out.

really old pic
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n26/getdrunk1990/Andys4whlrmissyscake023.jpg

mx450 how you running no air box? with the bracket?

rooster300ex
10-23-2006, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Warrior-mx
THese k&n guys are crazi lol j/p guys. I reccomend a Uni but depending on wat type of riding u do. IVe heard many stories about how k&n lets a bunch of crap in. And on my cuzes quadzilla it let so much in the the piston rings were caked w/ dirt so... If ur using ur quad on road use k&n off road Use UNI!

That K&N must of been damaged or not oiled properly to do that. Just my opinion though.

gtilley45
10-23-2006, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by slow
mx450 how you running no air box? with the bracket?

He probably has a clamp on filter. I'm considering one myself.