PDA

View Full Version : 250EX Owners - Question on 250EX Shift Lever

K400EX&A250EX
09-06-2002, 11:55 AM
Have any of you 250EX riders replaced the shift lever on the 250EX with an aftermarket lever? If you have, please tell me which one you put on, how happy you are with it, and where you got it.

The reason I'm asking is that it seems that our 250 is a little hard to shift. I've played with the auto clutch adjustment and I think I've got that worked out OK...but it seems that the shift lever (design, angle, etc.) is just a little awkward. My son has to lift his whole leg to shift up, versus just "rocking" his toe. I thought it was just him...but I have tried it and found that I sometimes have to shift up that way too.

Any advice or experiences you have would be appreciated!

250exen
09-06-2002, 01:28 PM
if u go to the shifter, there is a nut right on it. stock, it comes really high. all you gotta do is loosen the nut, push it down to the point where u like ia and then tighten the nut. easy as that

phatswinn
09-06-2002, 01:36 PM
just let his feet grow, i ahd that problem with my recon and thats what i did, just delt with it till the muslces in my leg could shift it

TRX250EXER
09-06-2002, 02:56 PM
you got to be careful with those stock shifters too, I just had to get a new one cuz it stripped out on me. I couldnt find an aftermarket one for a 250ex but I didnt look very hard. Ive had couple of my buddy's shifters on there from different quads. like a 300ex. it was too short and was even harder to shift. and it didnt have the curve in it either. so it would hit the engine mounts on the frame. I had to put up at an angle. just stick with the stock one. the other guy is right. your muscles in your ankle and leg will get stronger.

K400EX&A250EX
09-06-2002, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have already tried playing with the adjustment of the angle on the shifter and that didn't seem to help a whole lot. As for letting his feet grow and muscles get stronger...it sounds like that might be the only option. I'm not sure how much that will help, however, because as I mentioned in my original post I have trouble shifting it too and I'm 6'2, 220 lbs and have size 11 feet. We'll just keep working on it and see what we can figure out.

$$$moneyex
09-06-2002, 10:58 PM
it shouldnt be that hard to shift. im 15 and ive never had any problem shifting( except when i got my new riding boots)

just mess around with it untill u find something that works. thats what i did with my foot brake lever when it was sticking. it works good now, i dont no what i did but it works

Striker49
09-07-2002, 05:19 PM
I havent had any trouble with mine and im 5'10", 160, w/ size 11 feet. The only problem I have is that I like to shift to quick.
I will shift up but I let go before it clicks into the next gear b/c Im always in a hurray trying to catch up to everyone, but otherwise no problems.

True rider
09-07-2002, 07:58 PM
no probs here. I wear a size 12 shoe and Ive never had a problem, but on my buddys 4man he had that were you had to pull all the way up, so we adjusted the little nut and it worked perfect>