PDA

View Full Version : Where to get dirt?

MX MaNiAc 06
10-17-2006, 06:01 PM
How can i get more dirt for my track free?

My place is starting to look like a mess from me scraping it up everywhere. :ermm:

yellowzo3
10-17-2006, 06:03 PM
some construction site have free fill...its dirt they usually pay to get rid of so im sure theyd let you have it for free.

MX MaNiAc 06
10-17-2006, 06:06 PM
My buddy was telling me to put a sign at the end of my driveway that says "Clean Fill Wanted"

How well do u think it would work? Is it worth it?

JRP
10-17-2006, 06:07 PM
u can usually get dirt for free from construction sites, but then u have to find a way to get it from point A to point B.

Nick110
10-17-2006, 06:08 PM
Make sure you out Free Clean Fill Wanted. And call up the local pool digging companies or grave yards. Also

www.freedirt.com

troutman561
10-17-2006, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Nick110
Make sure you out Free Clean Fill Wanted. And call up the local pool digging companies or grave yards. Also

www.freedirt.com

Maybe grave yard dirt is something you dont want on a track?

Chin_Chilla
10-17-2006, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by troutman561
Maybe grave yard dirt is something you dont want on a track? LOL yea maybe not:cool:

MX MaNiAc 06
10-17-2006, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by troutman561
Maybe grave yard dirt is something you dont want on a track?

Yeah thats all i need is a haunted jump.....

JOEX
10-17-2006, 06:17 PM
I have about 15 yards I need to get rid of......:ermm:

Chin_Chilla
10-17-2006, 06:18 PM
Just curious, what is a Janitorial Technician, and how did you get that job?

MX MaNiAc 06
10-17-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
I have about 15 yards I need to get rid of......:ermm:

Ur a little far..

U could box it up n mail it. :D

JOEX
10-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
Ur a little far..

U could box it up n mail it. :D
If you pay shipping:p

10-17-2006, 06:35 PM
and JOEX how did you become a mod, im just wondering. WHat does ATVRiders Patron mean? and how did you get that?:confused:

x.system
10-17-2006, 06:38 PM
My buddy was telling me to put a sign at the end of my driveway that says "Clean Fill Wanted"

How well do u think it would work? Is it worth it?

If you do the sign thing make sure to put a contact number on the sign, sometimes the truckers will call themselves. They will want a place with easy access and where they won't get stuck. If you have a field entrance I would suggest you have them use it. If they drive on your cement or ashphault driveway they will destroy it. Also put up signs at busy intersections where truckers will see it, They prefer the shortest haul to make the most money so if your in a good area you could have all the dirt you need in a short time. If you only want 10/20 yards they will probably pass you by but if they can get rid of a couple hundred yards they will be more likely to help you out.

STEVENJANNA
10-17-2006, 06:40 PM
Flip through the phone book and find a local excavating company. If they are hauling fill from a sight and your property is closer than the site that they are taking it to, they will more than likely deliver it for free to you. Just remember when it comes to fill dirt from a construction site you are doing them a favor and not the other way around.

MX MaNiAc 06
10-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by x.system
If you do the sign thing make sure to put a contact number on the sign, sometimes the truckers will call themselves. They will want a place with easy access and where they won't get stuck. If you have a field entrance I would suggest you have them use it. If they drive on your cement or ashphault driveway they will destroy it. Also put up signs at busy intersections where truckers will see it, They prefer the shortest haul to make the most money so if your in a good area you could have all the dirt you need in a short time. If you only want 10/20 yards they will probably pass you by but if they can get rid of a couple hundred yards they will be more likely to help you out.

I planned on putting my cell number. There is a driveway to enter my field where the track is so thats not a problem. There is a stripmine directly behind my woods, a truck stop 3 miles up the street. I should be good.

Theres a couple local places and people ill talk to before i start making signs.

x.system
10-17-2006, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by STEVENJANNA
Flip through the phone book and find a local excavating company. If they are hauling fill from a sight and your property is closer than the site that they are taking it to, they will more than likely deliver it for free to you. Just remember when it comes to fill dirt from a construction site you are doing them a favor and not the other way around.

I believe your wrong, price out dirt sometime and see whos doing who the favor. Excavators have many resourses to get rid of dirt, usually it can be wasted on site, when it can't it usually goes to another excavators site that needs dirt or it goes to a pit to replace sand. They also sell it right from the site if its decent dirt like sand or topsoil. Even fill dirt is getting pricey with the way fuel prices have gone up. If it were me, I would be thanking them for doing me a favor and saving me a ton of cash.

One twenty yard load of dirt, fill sand, would be around $80 to $100 delivered around here, clay would be about half that, topsoil would be double.

If you can find some to give you the fill dirt, either be on site to show them where to dump or leave stakes, cones, signs, so they know where to dump.

MX MaNiAc 06
10-18-2006, 04:39 AM
I believe your wrong, price out dirt sometime and see whos doing who the favor. Excavators have many resourses to get rid of dirt, usually it can be wasted on site, when it can't it usually goes to another excavators site that needs dirt or it goes to a pit to replace sand. They also sell it right from the site if its decent dirt like sand or topsoil. Even fill dirt is getting pricey with the way fuel prices have gone up. If it were me, I would be thanking them for doing me a favor and saving me a ton of cash.

One twenty yard load of dirt, fill sand, would be around $80 to $100 delivered around here, clay would be about half that, topsoil would be double.

If you can find some to give you the fill dirt, either be on site to show them where to dump or leave stakes, cones, signs, so they know where to dump.

What is fill dirt? My dad talked to Penndot once n they ended up dropping off mostly rocks. It was crap they scraped from the side of the road with broken glass and garbage in it. Im not too picky about what kind of dirt it is but i dont want to spend hours getting rocks out of it.

STEVENJANNA
10-18-2006, 07:28 AM

I'm not going to start an arguement with you, but if a contractor is paying X number of truckers X number of days to move X amount of dirt to a location say 5miles away from his site and your property is is 1mile from the sight he's going to move his dirt alot faster plus you aren't going to charge him to dump. I guess what my point is you can always find free fill so don't be afraid to a little looking around.

rbgnwa45
10-18-2006, 07:45 AM
I went nearby my house to an environmental cleanup place, where they ship all kinds of junk with dump trucks. I went over there on my friends XR and asked how much a dumptruck of dirt would cost. They said free. My dad worked there, but I don't think I mentioned it. It came like 2 days later and a nice jump was made out of it. Dirt shouldn't cost money :mad:

KiethShwiggy300
10-18-2006, 03:00 PM
www.freedirt.com

x.system
10-18-2006, 04:26 PM
What is fill dirt? My dad talked to Penndot once n they ended up dropping off mostly rocks. It was crap they scraped from the side of the road with broken glass and garbage in it. Im not too picky about what kind of dirt it is but i dont want to spend hours getting rocks out of it.

Fill dirt could be many things depending on your location, basically its unwanted dirt thats used to fill voids. I would look for a sand / clay mix or all clay to use on a track. The clay will hold its shape and the sand will help it drain water away. Around here clay doesn't have alot of rock in it so its alot easyer to work with.

ZeroLogic
10-18-2006, 04:27 PM
Ebay.

miller821
10-18-2006, 04:45 PM
My bro got like 3 truck loads that he had to haul himself from the graveyard for free.

ZeroLogic
10-18-2006, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by ride hard man
My bro got like 3 truck loads that he had to haul himself from the graveyard for free.

Are the bodies extra?

wvspeedfreak
10-18-2006, 06:46 PM
Around here there is no such thing as free dirt(assuming it's good dirt without alot of rocks and trash in it like someone else mentioned).I don't care who is taking it where...........you are gonna pay for it.If you are getting decent dirt for free be thankful for it.

JOEX
10-18-2006, 07:47 PM
Ask for clean fill dirt, it should have a minimal amount of rock and debris.

MX MaNiAc 06
10-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Up the road ive been watching this place putting up apartments all year. They have a pile of topsoil that is a giant ramp probly 20-25' high. It is so much dirt! Im sure they arent gonna need to put all of the dirt back unless they are planning to bury the apartment they just built. Im gonna swing by there tomorrow night n ask a few questions.