PDA

View Full Version : Wont start.. Please help

Punk'd
10-17-2006, 03:35 PM
My cam chain recently snapped so I bought a new one. Removed the flywheel and put it on, timing is dead on but she wont start. Tried pop starting..

There is compression..

Its not the spark plug, it sparks

Yes, the gas is on.

Im thinking something with valves?

Please help

knelson
10-17-2006, 03:38 PM
bent intake valves prob. put your hand over the intake, does it blow back?

Punk'd
10-17-2006, 03:41 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Should they be just as easy to compress as the exhaust valves? They dont budge..

What do you mean does it blow back?

Punk'd
10-17-2006, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by knelson
bent intake valves prob. put your hand over the intake, does it blow back?

Took the filter off and kicked it, it blows out and at the end sucks in a little.

knelson
10-17-2006, 04:11 PM
shouldn't blow back at all through the carb. valves are not sealing, therefore it's blowing compression out the intake.

Punk'd
10-17-2006, 05:34 PM
shouldn't blow back at all through the carb. valves are not sealing, therefore it's blowing compression out the intake.

New valves are being ordered as we speak. Is it a hard job to do?

knelson
10-17-2006, 06:11 PM
not really, you need lapping compound, a drill, and might as well replace your valve seals while your at it (I think they are about a buck a piece)

Punk'd
10-17-2006, 06:40 PM
not really, you need lapping compound, a drill, and might as well replace your valve seals while your at it (I think they are about a buck a piece)

Im not sure how to do that, so I mite as well just buy some cheap somewhere.

Would this work? What all do I need?

Thank you btw for all the help

knelson
10-17-2006, 06:52 PM
Call your friends @ C&D racing!
here's some reading material:D

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geuowSfzVFFhcAlMNXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEwM2lzbnR tBGNvbG8DZQRsA1dTMQRwb3MDMTAEc2VjA3NyBHZ0aWQD/SIG=127j5l8vv/EXP=1161220242/**http%3a//hometown.aol.com/pullingtractor/valvecam.htm

Punk'd
10-17-2006, 08:21 PM
Do you know what all I need to fix this and where to buy?

I've taken valves off before but not on a 4wheeler. I really dont know much about them unless its basically the same thing, btw thanks for the link

knelson
10-18-2006, 02:34 PM
I use lapping compound, put it in the head (Don't install springs yet),on the other side chuck that into your drill, spin valve against seat moderatly for 30-45 seconds.
take the valve back off, clean off lapping compound, and install valves (w/ springs).
Once you get the intakes done and you think they are sealing properly, fill the port with gas and see if any leaks through.
This is hard to type:)

Punk'd
10-18-2006, 06:26 PM
I use lapping compound, put it in the head (Don't install springs yet),on the other side chuck that into your drill, spin valve against seat moderatly for 30-45 seconds.
take the valve back off, clean off lapping compound, and install valves (w/ springs).
Once you get the intakes done and you think they are sealing properly, fill the port with gas and see if any leaks through.
This is hard to type:)

Wow:eek: I think it would be easier for someone like me to just order new ones:p

Do you know of anywhere that has valves, seals and guides?

knelson
10-19-2006, 06:54 AM
I would hope you are going to use new ones:D . you will want new valves and seals, the guides and seats can stay. the purpose of lapping the valves (even if new) is to get a uniform seal all the way around the valve and seat. Call C&D Racing for aftermarket valves (I.E. Titanium, Etc.) or go to servicehonda.com for stock replacements.

Punk'd
10-21-2006, 01:06 PM
I would hope you are going to use new ones:D . you will want new valves and seals, the guides and seats can stay. the purpose of lapping the valves (even if new) is to get a uniform seal all the way around the valve and seat. Call C&D Racing for aftermarket valves (I.E. Titanium, Etc.) or go to servicehonda.com for stock replacements.

Alright that sounds easy, Is there a certain compound grit I need?

And I ordered new valves and seals wednesday from Service Honda, I hope they are in before next saturday:)

Thanks

Punk'd
10-22-2006, 09:11 PM
Bump?:devil: