PDA

View Full Version : External Hard drives

Jonesy
10-17-2006, 01:54 PM
Since loosing 2 months worth of school work, pictures, and documents I decided that an external harddrive would be handy.

Got a few questions though. I have been looking at the 250-320 gig versions, but am baffled by the huge range in prices. What differences are you paying for? Size, speed, looks?

Anyone have any experience with them. Mine would mainly be used to store riding videos (500mb+ each) and photography pics (5 gigs right now).

Thanks
Jonesy

gbcap
10-17-2006, 02:12 PM
a higher speed drive will only benifit you if you are transferring alot of info all the time. a 7200rpm drive is more then adequate for normal usage. if you transfer alot all the time you want a 10k drive but they are still expensive.

also the way it attaches to the computer. use a min of 2.0 usb. but if you can get fire wire connection then i would go with that for sure. make sure your computer has the connection first.

don't skimp. you get what you pay for. but as with most tech just because it is the most expensive doesn't make it the best. get a warrenty for sure.

signboy
10-17-2006, 02:30 PM
If you get one, get one with a SATA II connection also, those are very fast. I have one and it freakin flies! Most of the SATA ones come with a port that plugs into your motherboard. Just make sure you have a port available. My new computer has an external SATA II port on the back making it real handy. I got mine from newegg.com