PDA

View Full Version : Death at Glamis

joker11
10-17-2006, 11:19 AM
In todays Yuma Daily Sun, Sand dune accident kills man. Authorities say driver was inexperienced. A man was killed in an accident in the sand dunes in Glamis, CA over the weekend. Robert Lee Tompson, 18, of Palm Desert, Ca, was given CPR on the scene, but could not be revived, according to Imperial Deputy Coroner Investigator Henry Proo. He was riding a 650cc quad Proo said. He was apparently an inexperienced rider on a bigger bike then he should have been on. He said before the accident, Tompson was stuck and some people pulled him out, but then he gunned it and didn't take his hand off the throttle. Tompson went airboren and landed in a bowl on Competition Hill. He was pronounced deat at the scene.

Burl Swift
10-17-2006, 11:25 AM
That's unfortunate.

I hate it when the media includes things like the CC's of a bike. Same thing could have happend to an inexperienced rider on a 300EX. The size of the quad probably didn't have as much of an influence on his death as his lack of experience did.

joker11
10-17-2006, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Burl Swift
That's unfortunate.

I hate it when the media includes things like the CC's of a bike. Same thing could have happend to an inexperienced rider on a 300EX. The size of the quad probably didn't have as much of an influence on his death as his lack of experience did.

Not to beat a dead horse...but I am new to this and am commenting from NO experience. Just want to make that clear.
So regarding your comments, I completely understand what you are saying, however, people keep telling me I should get a 400ex and ditch my 250ex because I will be unhappy with the power. Obviously, power has SOME part in the outcome of the accident. Maybe he would not have launched as high or as far with a smaller quad. You can't blame the media for including the facts. Of course they printed what the witness/official had to say. If the quote leaned toward CC's being he cause, the media is not at fault. However if the person writing the article just starts speculating on the CCs being the issue, I would agree with you.
The thing I take away from this article is a reinforcement of my fear of the dunes. It isn't safe for me being inexperienced and it isn't safe for my family as they are inexperienced. And if there are other inexperienced riders around my family, who knows what would happen? However, I have opened my mind up to going to the dunes with an experienced person to witness what it is really like as opposed to what I think it is like. That offer was made and accepted in another thread.

chris75
10-17-2006, 06:15 PM
maybe the trottle got stuck?

juanki
10-17-2006, 06:17 PM
dod the article said something about wering a helmet?

250r4life
10-17-2006, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by juanki
dod the article said something about wering a helmet?

i havent seen anybody riding without a helmet down at glamis- the sherrifs are out regulating most of the time.,..

juanki
10-17-2006, 06:48 PM
thats to bad to hear, i think most od the people that die in atvs are because not having a helmet on, but now that i think of it, in the sand will be more dificult to have a head injury by hitting the sand.
i imagin that the kid had a bad wreck. sad to hear this.

b2sandshee
10-17-2006, 07:12 PM
i have heard of more people dieing with helmets one than not having one. but anyways ill stick with having the brain bucket. it has saved my little brain a couple time, haha.