PDA

View Full Version : Low End Power

jokester
10-16-2006, 09:38 PM
ok I want to hear everyone's opinion on this one.......

I want to know what an awsome power setup would be for my 400.

I'm the kind of guy that loves all the low end torque I can get, for the most part I mainly ride xc so I care less about the all the top end power. I'm looking to get a lot more low end, and thats why I'm asking for your opion's...the current mods are listed in my sig......

thanks for the help....

NY06400EX
10-16-2006, 09:53 PM
Change your gearing set up; go down a tooth up front and up 1 or 2 or even 3 in the rear (if you want a wheelie monster):p

Discplacement increase, certain exhausts are tuned more for low end than others. There are options, I'm sure the other members on here will assist even further.

foleyit
10-17-2006, 08:01 AM
Depending on your budget there are a variety of upgrades you can do.

Like NY06400ex said drop a tooth in the front and that will give some low end. 1 tooth in the front is the equivalent to increasing 2-3 on the rear sprocket. If you do this you will adjust your chain accordingly. May have to get a new chain if you do 1 tooth lower in the front and 2-3 up in the rear.

I suggest maybe go with a Stage I hotcam for more low-end.

good luck.

krt400ex
10-17-2006, 10:57 AM
get rid of the pro meg, cuz that is a mid and up pipe. get a yoshi full system and a stage one cam and u will be set to go. if u want u can go with a 11:1 piston to gain even more torque

PismoLocal
10-17-2006, 11:38 AM
If your lookin for the most low end get :

14 tooth front sprocket and 39 tooth rear

11:1 440 kit- This will produce loads of torque

Yoshi Exhaust- Its a good woods pipe, good power with low noise level.

Stage 1 hotcam

Aftermarket Carb or 450r carb

PismoLocal
10-17-2006, 01:06 PM
Imo you shouldn't get a stage 1 cam if your going to bump up your compression and go with a bigger bore though. Go with the stage 2 if you go to hi comp big bore you'll be happy with it.

guinness77
10-17-2006, 10:06 PM
If you don't wanna mess with the piston, then go for a Moose Works stage 2 power-up kit. It come with a K&N air filter and some rocking jets for the carb. The kit is specifically designed for low-to-mid range increases. Since you already have the K&N, just go for the stage 2 carb jets. Add a low-to-mid range after market pipe to round-out your mods. The White Brothers E-Series pipe can be tuned for low-to-mid or mid-to-high increases, but it's really makes its best impact in the low-to-mid ranges. I don't know what range your pipe is best suited for. You ought to have this done all at the same time, so you'll have to re-jet only once.
Also... get Haulers. YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO RIDE ALL OVER AGAIN.

If you wanna mess with the piston.... better ask someone else. Not my cup of tea.

Good Luck!

jokester
10-17-2006, 10:18 PM
ok I was reading some things on the sparks 6 degree advance timing key and I was wondering if anyone has any experiance with it.

I forgot to say that I do have a a one tooth lower front sprocket, and I'm going to be keeping the pipe that I do have, because I am on a pretty low budget.

Also I'm looking to not go over a a 426 kit if I do bore the motor...

guinness77
10-18-2006, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by jokester
ok I was reading some things on the sparks 6 degree advance timing key and I was wondering if anyone has any experiance with it.

I forgot to say that I do have a a one tooth lower front sprocket, and I'm going to be keeping the pipe that I do have, because I am on a pretty low budget.

Also I'm looking to not go over a a 426 kit if I do bore the motor...

I ran one for about a year in my 400ex. It was professionally installed and the quad re-jetted. (I had the mechanics inside the quad anyway... might as well try out the Spark key).

I noticed a couple of things. Because the plug is sparking 6 degrees sooner in the piston stroke, you'll need gas that burns a little slower. (I know that's a bit of a mis-nomer.) So you can't run 87 octane. You'll wind-up with knocking-and-pinging (detonation.) And that's BAD. At 92 I didn't hear anything more. But the machine ran best at about 100 octane. To get 100 octaine means combining racing gas with premium. (3 gallons 92 + 2 gallons 110 = 5 gallons of 99.2) RACING GAS IS EXPENSIVE. It ranges anywhere from 5.50 to 10.00 per gal.

The performance pick up was noticeable in the mid range. It's nice to have 3rd and 4th maintain power- under-stress so well. Usually, they don't.

After a year I had the motor apart and I noticed thick white deposits on the valve stems and the piston crown. Several quad mechanics looked it over and were unsure what it all meant.

So we pulled it. We took the displacement to a 402 and achieved pretty much the same things I had with the Sparks without the white stuff. Plus I don't have to buy racing gas anymore. Premium works great.

newrider4002001
10-18-2006, 02:19 PM
go for the hot cam