PDA

View Full Version : too rich?

DAVE14
10-16-2006, 05:27 PM
My 11-1 440 usuallu runs with the lid off K&n etc. & my jetting wasnt perfect but ran decent today I put the lid on for the wicked wet muddy conditions there are around here lately & ran ok then died on me after cruising through a puddle , I got in the box took the filter off gave it a shot of fuel & was off again shortly running not bad going through anything I wanted & then again on clean dry trail this time the engine sputtered she didnt take her fuel & died I waited & repeated this dry her out process taking the lid off & limped her home I didnt smell fuel when I opened it up is she too rich ?

DAVE14
10-16-2006, 05:32 PM
I forgot to mention it has a 170 main & a 42 pilot poercore 4 slip on hotcams stroker cam & usually an open box in decent weather

Andrewcordle
10-16-2006, 05:38 PM
Well I would say that if you were a bit fat on fuel before you closed up the airbox you are certainly fat now. Change your plug and see if it will run. You might need to consider a jet change if you are going to restrict the air flow going into the motor by putting the airbox lid on for the "wicked, wet, muddy" conditions. I am up in the northwest and know all about the puddles and swamps that form in the winter months. Good luck.

striker1001
10-17-2006, 03:14 PM
most likely yes. I went riding a couple of months ago and im jetted for not having an air box cover on. Well i had it on from the time i washed my ex from our ride before so nothing would get wet inside. I had acisently left it on. I didnt know what was the problem and i decided to check my spark plug and it was RICH! I decided to take my seat off to figure wat was up and i saw my lid on. Took it off and put back my seat. Wow...wat diference. But ya, ur probably rich or were rich

bwamos
10-18-2006, 08:25 AM
On the 300ex at least.. adding the airbox lid generally drops you 4 sizes on the Main Jet (10 digits).