PDA

View Full Version : Carb Suggestions

Rusty063
10-16-2006, 02:09 PM
I'm kinda new to this website so I don't really know if my questions have already been answered. Anyways, I have an 05 400ex w/ k&n and e-serise white brothers (advance timing key on the way) and I plan on keeping the motor itself stock, but I would like to get some insight on wether or not it would be more efective to jet a stock 400ex carb properly w/ what i have or to put a 450 carb on it. Feel free to make any suggestions, you won't hurt my feelings.

Eviltanker
10-16-2006, 02:22 PM
I'd say just jet it. My 2 cents

BigFish
10-16-2006, 02:36 PM
All u prolly need is to jet it, but if u really want to do something, u can do wonders w/ a stock 400 carb. A dremel, choke removal, and proper jetting, and a 400ex carb works really well, especially if you're not doing too much to the motor If u want to spend the money u can get a 450 carb, and if cash is no object u can get a fcr.

PismoLocal
10-16-2006, 02:40 PM
Just jet it. A 450r carb would give you more power though.

cals400ex
10-16-2006, 04:22 PM
i would jet it as well. i would only consider an aftermarket carb if you are wanting the most power possible. but if you are keeping the motor stock then obviously you are not looking to have the most possible power. plus getting the 450 carb on and working properly could take more time than putting a cam or piston in the bike if you don't know a good starting point and how to set the carb up.

Rusty063
10-16-2006, 06:43 PM
I appreciate the responses. I'm looking to get the most possible power out of my stock motor, reason that i want to keep it stock is because i have a warranty until 2009 and i'm not to sure about honda's policies, but i doub't they'll continue the warranty if i change anything internally, that's besides the point. As far as stock jetting, what pilot and main should i use, where should i put the needle (if it's adjustable on the stock 05 carb, i haven't cracked it open yet), air/fuel mixture adjustment, how many discs should i put on the e-series, and how does a jeted stock compare to a FCR (first time i've heard about this carb). I'm new to all this so any of your responses are helpfull, and much appreciated.

Rusty063
10-16-2006, 06:48 PM
i forgot to metion that i live in florida so that will kinda effect the jetting.

zrpilot
10-16-2006, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Rusty063
I appreciate the responses. I'm looking to get the most possible power out of my stock motor, reason that i want to keep it stock is because i have a warranty until 2009 and i'm not to sure about honda's policies, but i doub't they'll continue the warranty if i change anything internally, that's besides the point. As far as stock jetting, what pilot and main should i use, where should i put the needle (if it's adjustable on the stock 05 carb, i haven't cracked it open yet), air/fuel mixture adjustment, how many discs should i put on the e-series, and how does a jeted stock compare to a FCR (first time i've heard about this carb). I'm new to all this so any of your responses are helpfull, and much appreciated.

see my signature for my setup. Florida does make a difference when jetting.

Rusty063
10-16-2006, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by zrpilot
see my signature for my setup. Florida does make a difference when jetting.

so you use a needle 3rd from the top off of 2001 400ex? is it the same in the 05 carb?

zrpilot
10-16-2006, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Rusty063
so you use a needle 3rd from the top off of 2001 400ex? is it the same in the 05 carb?

Yes, as best I can measure it is the same, and it works fine. The other option you have is to shim your existing needle up to richer the middle carb circuit.

Rusty063
10-17-2006, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by BigFish
All u prolly need is to jet it, but if u really want to do something, u can do wonders w/ a stock 400 carb. A dremel, choke removal, and proper jetting, and a 400ex carb works really well, especially if you're not doing too much to the motor If u want to spend the money u can get a 450 carb, and if cash is no object u can get a fcr.

aside from jetting & choke removal, what other "wonders" were you refering to w/ a 400ex carb?

Eviltanker
10-17-2006, 04:33 PM
05' you can't adjust the needle.(It sucks I know) If you shop around you might be able to find an adjustible dynojet one.
I just went through the same problems but, got lucky. Boyssen is picking up my 06' tommarow and they are going to tune my carb and install a proto type part. I'll let you know how it works out.

GPracer2500
10-17-2006, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Eviltanker
05' you can't adjust the needle.(It sucks I know) If you shop around you might be able to find an adjustible dynojet one.
I just went through the same problems but, got lucky. Boyssen is picking up my 06' tommarow and they are going to tune my carb and install a proto type part. I'll let you know how it works out.

For the needle, you can order a 99-04 EX needle from Honda--they're adjustable. It's best to run Dynojet mains when you use a Dynojet needle. As an alternative, you can always shim a non-adjustable needle to go richer if it's needed.

What's the prototype part? Is it a Quickshot type device?

Rusty063
10-17-2006, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Eviltanker

Yeah definently let me know how that proto works.

Someone had suggested a good site for ordering carb parts for cheap, anyone know what it is?

Eviltanker
10-19-2006, 02:28 PM
Sorry Guys I haven't responded for a couple days, got called away for the military. The prototype part is from Boyesen and it is supposed to go between my airboot from the airbox and the carb. It will work along the lines of a velocity stack buy creating more force through the carb and pulling more fuel.at least thats how I understood it from the R&D guys.I have a meeting with them and the owner of the company tommarow morning, I will have better info then. And GP thank you for the advice on the 99' to 04' needle, thats the way I'm going. I got the top end and bottom just about perfect now I gotta get the mid dialed. Boyesen is also fitting the 400 with a performance accelerator pump and flex grips. I will report back with what I think of them.