PDA

View Full Version : iPod car installation suggestions?

Iliketogofast
10-16-2006, 07:10 AM
I'll apoligize in advance; this is going to be long. :D

So I got a new cable for my Kenwood deck that will allow me to control an iPod from the deck controls. I have a new problem now, however, because I have no idea where I'm going to stick the iPod while it is in the car.

For those of you who don't know, bumping around or dropping the iPod while it's hard drive is spinning can mean it's "death", so I need something to keep it stable in the car instead of just laying it in the console or something. I'd like to be able to see the screen.

So anyways, the point of this post is to get some ideas from you guys as to what I should do, and maybe get some pics of your in-car solutions.

I really want to do a custom center console, but I have no idea where to start or what materials to use, so I'm straying away from that unless someone can give me some help. I'd like to get the smooth painted look on the center shifter console with the iPod standing up at an angle behind or in front of the shifter.

I thought about a great idea where I remove the center console and cut a hole to insert an iPod universal dock from the bottom. This way the iPod would sit at exactly the angle I want. The problem there is that I don't know what materials I should use to keep it sturdy and still.

Thanks in advance for any help ad/or suggestions!

TGW_400ex
10-16-2006, 07:11 AM
velcro. (sp?)

Iliketogofast
10-16-2006, 07:21 AM
That's actually a pretty good idea. I was kind of looking for something that is visually appealing though... velcro would be ghetto-looking:o

Raptor68
10-16-2006, 09:40 AM
What kind of car is it? Can you take a picture of the dash/console area? You could make it out of thin plywood and then cover that in vinyl or leather, or if it's smooth enough, you could probably even paint it to match your interior.

CDALEMX301
10-16-2006, 09:49 AM
I dunno how you could mount it but mine plugs into my deck and is controlled by my deck and pretty much it doesnt matter if you can see the ipod or not cause all the Ipod says is JVC it doesnt let you control any of the features from the Ipod while it is plugged in

elbine69
10-16-2006, 09:50 AM
If your interested in making a custom center console read this thread at s10forum. http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208071

that should tell you evertying you need to know. Also check ebay they have a bunch of different ipod holders.

signboy
10-16-2006, 11:07 AM
Think outside of the box. Check out how I did mine in my tahoe.

My Tahoe IPOD install (http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=31037)

Iliketogofast
10-16-2006, 11:07 AM
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/catalog/images/center_console_Camaro.jpg

As you can see there is an ashtray with a flip up cover at the top. I'm going to take a look at the ashtray and see if the iPod will fit inside, and if it does I'm going to take the metal tray out and leave the door. This way, I can attatch the dock to the bottom of the console and hide it when the iPod is not connected.

My main worry is that the door will be in the way of the iPod's lean angle. If that's so, I will just remove the entire tray and attatch the dock underneath flush with the surface of the console. It will look pretty trick if I can do it right... Kind of like a factory option.

Any suggestions on adhesive materials to attatch the dock to the console?

By the way - thanks for all the great ideas so far guys. Keep it coming! Also, I have seen your Tahoe install before on iLounge - that is absolutely sick. I don't have a head that I feel like messing up, though, so I don't think I'll try.

signboy
10-16-2006, 11:35 AM
the ashtray is a great place. Its cool if you can hide the dock in there. So then you just open the lid and stick the IPOD on there.