PDA

View Full Version : Makes you stick your chest out!

browng31
10-16-2006, 05:07 AM
I gotta say it is so good to see a 400ex leading the way around a track, I'm not that accomplished of a rider but my good friend called me yesterday, the last race of a local series and he didn't have a bike to ride, he knew I recently finished re-doing my 400ex and he said he needed to finish 1 moto in order to lock up the pro points. Like any good friend would do I warned him of a certain death if he messed up my brand new old bike and told him I'd get to the track asap. Now he is a darn good rider and I know it wasn't a national or anything, but I was really really surprised to see my new shiny white and black bike coming out of the first turn ahead of everyone, he killed them on the first moto but a linkage bolt broke 2nd moto and turned my rear shock into an L shape, but it was still pretty cool to see a good rider on a 400ex leading 450rs,YFZ's and LTRs around the track. Anyone else still think the old air cooled monsters can still compete?????

johnsls
10-16-2006, 07:59 AM
Yeah,, thats pretty cool. Now you get some NEW parts...:cool: :cool:

browng31
10-16-2006, 09:33 AM
yeah here's the crapper, it was my other friend's Custom Axis that broke... So I don't get squat, except a busted airbox and powder rubbed off my swingarm, but we built a subframe and at least I know it will clear the sprocket and brake rotor now. I think the springs are ok, the stem will need replaced but it shouldn't be too expensive.

F-16Guy
10-16-2006, 11:12 AM
I agree, the 400ex is still capable of winning local level races depending on the rider and the track conditions. I was one of two 400ex's in a field of about 60 quads at round 1 and 3 WORCS races, and I did pretty well. Most of the pros killed me, but I was 3rd and 2nd respectively in Production B, and passed several Production A riders. At both rounds, it really came down to rider conditioning, quad prep, and track conditions. Most of the passing I did was around tired riders or 450s stalled in the tight sections. My 400ex is a tractor, so I could pull one or two gears higher without stalling it. I didn't pull the holeshot at either rounds, but I had respectable starts. In the first round, I was even racing with a blown head gasket the whole time! :eek: