PDA

View Full Version : clutch help please!

400exrules
10-15-2006, 08:48 PM
I dont know really know much about clutches but it seems like mine are goin bad. Sometimes when its in first gear and im holding the clutch all the way in, and i rev it up, it will jump forward real hard, like i dumped the clutch, but it will only jump forward acouple feet. It did it yesterday, and i noticed a strange noise when it happened. Do i need to get a clutch kit, or do i need a new basket? I say again, i really dont know much about clutches.

Also over the winter im going to bore it to a 416 with an 11:1 piston, so i might need to get a clutch that will be strong enough for that.

cals400ex
10-16-2006, 11:53 AM
i would just take it out and look at it. the 8 plate setups seem to be pretty good. i really did like my sparks setup.

400exrules
10-16-2006, 09:12 PM
anyone else heard of these symptoms???

Andrewcordle
10-16-2006, 09:18 PM
sounds more like you need to adjust your clutch more than replace your clutch. If it is lurching with the clutch lever pulled that means that it is not disengaging properly. Look at your owners manual and it will explain step by step how to make this adjustment.

400exrules
10-16-2006, 09:44 PM
it doesnt slowly roll forward....

it only does it like once or twice every few times i go riding. it will jump forward very hard, and ill hear a weird noise comin from the clutch.

Andrewcordle
10-17-2006, 02:03 AM
I would try to adjust it first. It is quite simple . Measure the distance from the clutch lever to the handle bar grip. Next squeeze the clutch lever until all of the free play or "slack" is taken up and measure this distance. The correct amount of free play should be between 3/8"-3/4". For a small adjustment you can make it at the clutch lever. All you have to do is pull that rubber boot back at the clutch lever and loosenthe narrow jam nut and adjust the knurled nut that is attatched to the cable. You might need to wiggle the cable to get it to move a bit easier. If you need a big adjustment screw the cable adjustment all the way in and then back it out a couple of turns. Next follow the clutch cable down until it hits the right case cover. Loosen the lock nuts that secure it to the bracket and adjust the cable until the correct free play is attained at the clutch lever. tighten the lock nuts and if necessary make any final adjustments at the clutch lever adjuster. If that doesn't solve the problem then might want to think about looking at the clutches. I would bet that it is just an adjustment and the noise you are hearing is either the transmission engaging until the clutches start to slip or possibly just the chain drawing up slack. Post again if you still have problems. And if it is a bad clutch it is a good excuse to get some cool new go fast goodies. Just think Barnett.......

cals400ex
10-17-2006, 10:28 PM
another thing that helped my 400ex was to change the oil. so if that is old you could consider that.