PDA

View Full Version : carb and clutch tuning advice

oldyeller
10-15-2006, 08:05 PM
Finally getting around to trying out the stuff we got from Hetricks...I installed some boyeseen reeds and a single throttle cable and eliminated the oil injection...Next I tried the lighter 5 gram rollers that they sent in place of the 8 gram stock units.Wicked wheelie and acceleration for about 10-15 ft and then it would seem to level out.Speed on the radar was down about 4-5 mph from its totally stock mph....I tried putting 3 of the new 5 gram wieghts with 3 of the stock(8 gram) rollers and top speed was back very close to stock although still slower by 1mph. Acceleration seemed improved...Next up I tried the UNI filter..It would take off very hard and then a huge bog within a couple bike lengths...Ok that was somewhat expected so I installed the largest of the 3 jets that they sent which was a #115...It now runs without bogging but still doesn't feel like its quite there yet and the plug looks like its running very lean,almost colourless....How big of a jet should I need?..Also it is getting pretty cold here now. The temp was probably only in the mid 50s today so I'm wondering if the 115 jet would be ok in the summer?......I had been advised against doing the filter with the stock carb but wanted to give it a shot and see what happened...I would appreciate any advice.

LT80
10-18-2006, 09:03 AM
Rollers IMO::
I've never been a fan of different roller weights in them.
It's a matter of total weight.
so, 8x6=48 and that was too much, 5x6=30 (grams) and obviously was too little. so you tried 39 grams but IMO that was a poor test because of the different weight rollers. 39 grams may or may not be close. I recommend using 5 of the 8 gram rollers and see what that does. This will give a more accurate roller weight test.
Use a marker and run a line up the clutchs so you know exactly how far the clutch is moving.
If the filter was not recomended for the stock carb, I'd say put the stock filter on and work the rest out and go from there.
Hope that helps. :)

oldyeller
10-18-2006, 03:00 PM
I'm assuming running only 5 rollers will unbalance the variator/engine...Is this safe to run briefly?...The air filter was recommended by some and not by others that is why I thought I would give it a try...It definetly felt stronger on the bottom end with the UNI filter but I don't think it was getting enough fuel to carry the power into the higher rpms....I will get some larger jets and try again to see if I can richen it up or whether the carb just won't allow any more fuel in.

LT80
10-19-2006, 07:15 AM
I don't think it effects balance a bit from my expierements.
Others will say I'm nuts. :D
But yes, NP with finding the proper weight w/5. That will tell you what rollers you will need. Maybe even have to drill them to get the exact weight desired.
:)