PDA

View Full Version : Chad-Question about installing new piston 14:1

leadfoot_52
10-15-2006, 07:57 PM
Should I get the stock cylinder honed if it is in good shape with all the crosshatches in it (its still nikasil) if so, how should nikasil be honed so I can properly seat my new rings? What should the ring end gap be set at for best performance?

chad502ex
10-16-2006, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by leadfoot_52
Should I get the stock cylinder honed if it is in good shape with all the crosshatches in it (its still nikasil) if so, how should nikasil be honed so I can properly seat my new rings? What should the ring end gap be set at for best performance?

I do not recommend re-plating for the following reason:

1. replating a cylinder costs over $150 when you can get a new cylinder for $180 (unless of coarse its an overbore).

The importance of the cross-hatching is two-fold:

1. file down new piston rings so they 'match' the cylinder bore. This process is critical in the first few minutes of run-time after installing the new piston pack.

2. cross-hatching rotates the rings during operation which helps to prevent cylinder/ring hot-spotting.

On Nikasil plating, I dont recoomentd re-honing either as it takes a diamond hone to properly scuff the plating, and also because most can not do as precisely as professional diamond honer can; also, cause the plating is extremely thin and most honing stones could scratch through the plating...

lumi
10-16-2006, 11:01 AM
While wher on the topic :D how long does a 06 cylinder last, seems like maybe a stock piston and maybe another if its still in good condition with the stock piston. 500hours? probably like 300 but worth a try.

-lumi

speedfreaksguy
10-16-2006, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by chad502ex

On Nikasil plating, I dont recoomentd re-honing either as it takes a diamond hone to properly scuff the plating, and also because most can not do as precisely as professional diamond honer can; also, cause the plating is extremely thin and most honing stones could scratch through the plating...

Chad, how do you deglaze a used cylinder before installing new parts if you don't hone?

chad502ex
10-16-2006, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by speedfreaksguy
Chad, how do you deglaze a used cylinder before installing new parts if you don't hone?

does the cylinder have cross-hatching remaining?

like i said, I prefer to replace glazed cylinders cause in many of my builds most ppl install new piston/rings/cylinders and it would be a waste on relying proper deglazing, or the possibility of wearing through coating, or egging a cylinder out of round when your trying to build for max power. Not that it can't be done, just that it isn't preferred...