View Full Version : Stiff shocks....

NikNacs67
10-15-2006, 07:49 PM
I've looked and looked and looked and cannot find a detailed description on how to adjust my front & rear 450R shocks. They are way to stiff. Anyone wanna help?

10-17-2006, 12:09 PM
The pre load is on top. Loosen it (twist it up) And it will Give a softer spring rate.

The dial on the upper part of the shock is the compression. You want that dial out. Twisted out is soft and twisted in is stiff.

The bottom dial is rebound. You want it out. Out is softer in is stiffer.

Read this if you want to know every thing about dialing in shocks.

http://forums.atvsource.com/viewtopic.php?t=44329

NikNacs67
10-17-2006, 04:08 PM
On the compression adjuster's, do I just loosen the screw then turn the dial out and if so, how far can I turn it out?

4TraxRider
10-18-2006, 03:40 PM
You use a flat screw driver I beleive. You turn if counter clockwise to make the shock feel softer. You can turn it out until it stops then one click tighter.

NikNacs67
10-19-2006, 01:19 PM
So on the front shocks I can turn the screw out until it stops? The front screws just turn out, they don't click.

10-19-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by NikNacs67
So on the front shocks I can turn the screw out until it stops? The front screws just turn out, they don't click.

They dont have to click. Some shocks make a click noise others dont.
Just turn em out till they stop turning.

Coolidge
10-20-2006, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by slow
They dont have to click. Some shocks make a click noise others dont.
Just turn em out till they stop turning.

...for real?!? I have been backing them out 1 (one) turn at a time. The only 'click' I actually heard was upper rear shock adjuster. Will taking Pre-load off front change ride height at all? I agree these Muthas are way too stiff (Im 150-155lbs)
Thx in adv

10-23-2006, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by Coolidge
...for real?!? I have been backing them out 1 (one) turn at a time. The only 'click' I actually heard was upper rear shock adjuster. Will taking Pre-load off front change ride height at all? I agree these Muthas are way too stiff (Im 150-155lbs)
Thx in adv

Adjusting the preload softer may make it a little lower with you on it by allowing the shock to compress easier.

Also if you adjust your rebound adjustment to stiff you will sit lower after landing a jump cause with stiff rebound it takes longer for the shock to rebound back to normal = Lower ride hight after the shocks compress from a jump up to 15 secs.

My front shocks make tick noise as i turn it and my rear just turns no noise so its normal.