PDA

View Full Version : TRX300 electrical: starts with kick starter but starter motor will not spin

macdaddy
10-15-2006, 07:28 PM
This 1988 TRX300 belongs to my neighbor and I need to fix it.
It runs fine when it is started with the kick starter. The owner is older and must have the electric starter working. This is what happens:
1. turn key on, in neutral, neutral lamp is faint.
2. press start button, neutral light goes out, no noise, no starter.
3. Battery measures 12.5 volts, jump start @ 14 volts doesn't help.
4. Starter has new brushes about 2 months old and it worked great.
5. Starter solenoid works great, is not the problem.
6. shorting the neutral switch harness to ground gives the same faint neutral light and no start.
7. Starter will work great if solenoid battery/starter terminals are jumped.

The only other things I see in the wiring schematic that can affect this are:
a. Clutch diode-I can't find this to try it;
b. Ignition module, I don't see how this could affect it.

Do any of you have any ideas? I sure could use some expert help here.

firefighterjosh
10-16-2006, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by macdaddy

7. Starter will work great if solenoid battery/starter terminals are jumped.

Sounds like your solenoid is bad.

macdaddy
10-16-2006, 10:37 AM
I guess I left one detail out: he has two identical TRX300's and we swapped solenoids on them. The problem stayed on the same bike and didn't move with the solenoids. So I think the solenoid is good.

But thanks for the comment.

Mac

mudslinger09
10-20-2006, 06:50 PM
check the starter , it will probly have carbon build up inside of it even tho its new , might wanna clean it up, theres a couple wires comin out of it too - check all your connections ... sounds like it could be some kinda neutral safe switch that aint workin right - but its still kick startin so i dont know :ermm:

ZSK
10-23-2006, 05:48 PM
Check the battery to assure a proper charge. Even if it shows 12.5 volts it may be shorted internally and not providing enough cranking amps to start the motor or trip the relay. Also check the start switch that it is in fact making contact and completing the circut.