PDA

View Full Version : Twin row or tapered bearings?

kiesta00
10-15-2006, 06:26 PM
I ride my bike pretty hard and I wanna get some bearings that will be bulletproff. What's the difference between the two? more reliable and less maintanence.

86 Quad R
10-16-2006, 06:55 AM
tapered bearings are by far the most durable bearing of the two. they take better side load pressure as apposed to the twin row but, you loose a bit of range for chain adjustment and need to be maintained a lil more if you run in harsh/wet conditions, because the bearing itself isnt sealed. the twin row is a sealed bearing that is inside of a sealed carrier whereas the tapered is an open bearing and if the carrier seal neglected then the tapered bearing will be short lived.

i personally run both types and have no problem with either. i am of the opinion that each bearing has its place as far as riding conditions goes. my quad spends 85% of its time in the creeks or other wet places and i would NOT use a taper in it.

my sons quad is set up for drag/harsh recreation and i had rather have tapered in it.

kiesta00
10-16-2006, 01:28 PM
well I just ordered a twin row carrier, I use it mainly for drag racing and duning, so that'll be fine. I also ordered a 69.5mm piston and its getting drag ported this week too :) Can't wait to ride this thing

86 Quad R
10-16-2006, 01:41 PM
who is doing your port work?

Rich250RRacer
10-16-2006, 03:01 PM
I was never happy with a tapered bearing carrier, twin row are much less maintenence. Plus you lose some chain adjustment with a tapered carrier.

BLACKeR
10-16-2006, 03:17 PM
^^^ i agree i found i couldnt not run some gearing combos that i wanted to with the tapered bearing carrier. i switched out to a twin row. never been happier.

kiesta00
10-16-2006, 08:11 PM
I'm probably going to send it off to FTZ racing for porting and a head mod. Might switch to alcohol while I'm at it, but I'm not sure yet. I don't feel like paying $8 a gallon for C12 , methanol is like $3.50 here.