PDA

View Full Version : adding another light to the Mojave?

melloyello
10-15-2006, 06:14 PM
Does the Mojave stator have enough power to run (2) 55watt fog lights?
The weird thing here is the stock light works low and high beam but when I check for vdc I get nothing at the light socket when running I get no vdc. But, I can get ac voltage.
I tried it this way to see if it would work. Grounded the new lights to the frame. Hooked up a toggle switch. One wire from stock light low beam wire to new switch. Other wire from new switch to positive side of new lights. With my new switch off the original lights work fine. But when I turn the new light switch on the low beam on the original light goes out and the fog lights do not come on. The only conclusion I can come to is that the stator cannot put out 155watts(2-55w lights and stock 45watt bulb) and another 8 for tail light and 27 for the brake light.
Anybody have any ideas? I think I am going to have to get a stator from rickystator.com or take mine out and wind it myself.
Forgot to add, I get 6vdc at the rectifier when idling and 12vdc when revved up.
My shop manual is at the shop of course so if noone has the answer I guess I will have to run to the shop tomorrow to get it.

Ruby Soho
10-15-2006, 06:50 PM
well the mojave has no battery. so the stock light sucks.

check this thread out

http://cycleworksracing.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=710

melloyello
10-15-2006, 09:14 PM
So, I guess it's what I thought. Just not enough power there. I guess I will have to wire in a small battery under the scoop and keep it charged when it's in the garage. The stock system should be able to keep the battery charged when I am not using the lights though I would think. It's either put in a battery or buy a stator from ole Ricky.
And yeah, the stock light sucks. If I only wanted to see a spot about 5ft wide in front of me it would be great. I like floodlights more than a spotlight. I don't want to see just what is in front of me. I want to see what is to the sides too.

Ruby Soho
10-16-2006, 12:03 PM
imo id get the trail tech lights, and bolt them to your handlebars, that way the light points where your going, around turns etc...

bwamos
10-16-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
imo id get the trail tech lights, and bolt them to your handlebars, that way the light points where your going, around turns etc...

Agree.
I ahve a set of the cheaper Trail Tech Torch Lights. 55 Watts total for both lights. TONS and I mean tons brighter than the stock 55watt light.

It's like the difference between a 5dollar plastic flashlight and a 5 D-Cell Mag Light.

Worth every penny IMHO.