PDA

View Full Version : Fun things to look for!

hard one
10-15-2006, 05:35 PM
I will put it plain and simple.

I just rebuilt my engine and found some things that had me calling friends to find out why!

#1-the exhaust cam had no shims under it!
#2-the exhaust valves are steel

I had the Suzuki head builder at my shop come over to my house to figure why my engie is making ticking noise that keeps pace with the throttle and i knew it was in the head.I had every thing perfect but we both noticed that the bucket that holds the shim on the left side didnt have the same spiral a normal one would have so i took it out and it didnt have one.
The other side didnt have one nor did the intake so now I get to start off with a 235 shim and work my way up till i find the right size.
The ticking was normal the first few weeks i had it but after i rebuilt it i became more aware of it.

Has any one else found things like this or am i just lucky.

blholtz
10-15-2006, 06:28 PM
and now for the TRUTH or is that how you upped your compression without a new piston.

What do you think AL.

TC440EX
10-15-2006, 10:22 PM
You beat me to it. I was thinking the same thing. I would have just changed the piston and not said anything.LOL

LTR450_#67
10-17-2006, 11:43 AM
You guys are confuseing me?

:confused:

Tyler25
10-17-2006, 01:59 PM
you may want to check your specs on that 5-angle valve job that you performed to make sure everything is correct!

Mike[socal]
10-17-2006, 02:09 PM
"Shims? We don't need no stinking shims!"

AceLtz
10-17-2006, 03:31 PM
So the thing made 63hp stock and another 10hp after the mods and it didnt even have any shims? This motor is amazing.....

(sense the sarcasm)

hard one
10-17-2006, 04:20 PM
It can run without shims but it is freakin loud!
the reason they didnt put any in is because the gap was in between the specs .04-.08. But after running it hard the buckets became messed up.

I did up the compression with a JE 14:1 piston!

I will make it more clear i put it all back together and it was clicking so i took it apart and it had no shims and i didnt remove them.